Looking for Lost

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for Lost

It's what we do, we go to the beach looking for items that have been lost. Gold and silver are usually our targets of desire. Rings, bracelets, chains, earrings, pendents, these are the usual items that comprise this group of modern treasures and it's always a special moment when we find one of them glistening in the bottom of our scoop. During a full day of hunting we might cover a great deal of beach, sometimes more then one beach, an assortment of crusty coins and other trinkets collecting in our pouches along the way. At the end of the hunt, if we were lucky, we closely examine our glittering prizes then we empty our pouch full crusty coins and various other crap. And that's when we finally discover that rare 18[SUP]th[/SUP] century coin or item in our pouch. In fact, it's so rare to our usual hunting territories we're suddenly more intrigued by it then the glistening modern treasures we brought home. And then the reality sets in, “Where, exactly, did I find this item?” Even before we ask the question we're already fully aware that we haven't the foggiest clue. And then the second question comes barreling in, “I wonder if there was more of these out there?” And it's at this point when looking for lost takes a drastic turn for many of us.

Call it a fascination, a curiosity, and in some cases even an obsession, but there is certainly something consuming and inspiring when we finally get to hold a rare and ancient discovery loaded with history in our hands. Modern treasures have a pretty short and standard story attached to them, it was purchased, worn, and then lost. Not much of a mystery there, not much history either, and unless it's something that's been handcrafted around a canary yellow diamond it probably can't even be called rare. But that ancient item you just discovered somewhere out there, well, it's not only rare and valuable but it also has a long history attached to it, not to mention the mystery now surrounding it. Could there possibly be more of them? Well, only one way to find out, however, in many cases gaining that knowledge is going to require some sacrifice.

And here is that potential sacrifice, “Are we willing to sacrifice the usual modern jewelry finds in order to dedicate the time required to research and search for the possible source of our ancient discovery?” I ask this because in many cases the two are entirely differently games, often placing you in entirely different locations. So when that erosion finally starts to take place are we going to be able to give up the near certainty of finding that modern glitter for a chance of discovering the source of that ancient item, or perhaps, even more ancient items? Believe me, it is a very tough thing to do, but as is often the case, it is also necessary. Question is, could we actually make that sacrifice?

I thought this might be an interesting topic to explore given that there are so many people dreaming of finding that ancient piece, yet I don't think many realize the hard sacrifices that some hunters make, or have made, just to be able to have the opportunity of finding those ancient items.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This post reminds me I'm getting low on whiskey. Gotta get out to the liquor store later - Thanks Big! :occasion14:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scenario:
The erosion has finally come, the passing of a strong northeaster leaving behind deep cuts and holes all along the coast. There is no doubt that the popular modern beaches are going to produce a lot of gold, in fact hunters are already posting pictures of their glittering spoils on Tnet and other treasure hunting websites. The beaches you usually hunt are prime for the taking, targets are going to be abundant and gold and silver are going to be somewhat common prizes now. You know this with certainty because you've lived it, your personal experience always allowing you to capitalize on these special days when the sand has finally been stripped away leaving behind a lot of those deeper prizes. So why are you hunting a section of little used beach that hasn't produced much of anything in two full days of hunting? Will you come back to the same general area again the next day, or the day after that? Or will you abandon your current effort and return to those popular beaches that have delivered all those modern goodies in the past, just as they are again today?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess my point to this post is that observation seems to present an obvious conclusion, that being that those who are finding "old" (1600 - 1700) are seldom hunting those popular modern beaches, even though they've had great luck with the modern glitter in the past at these locations. In essence, at some point in time they've decided to sacrifice a constant for something that was so uncertain. I know a couple of hunters who are doing this now and they'll continue to do it all winter whether they find anything or not, even though they know they can cash in on those popular modern beaches. I find their dedication to be interesting.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just depends what you are looking for Big. I hunt dirt sites for 1700s coins, not the beach. That doesn't mean they aren't there, just a lot more rare in my neck of the woods than they are back in the woods. If you want to spend hours walking along forgotten beaches God Bless. Gary Drayton does it, Craig in Bidgeport, CT. does as well. They love the old crap they find. I have yet to find Spanish Silver - but I will, probably not on the beach though. Modern Gold? Yep, that is why I hit the beaches where millions go each summer. To me, that is the thrill of beach hunting.

Attachments

• gold cache 003.jpg
    gold cache 003.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 82

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just floated my barrel of Rum!:occasion14:
I prefer a gold ring over most old silver coins! Its all about the old gold jewelry.... It has history and a tale to tell you if you do some follow up research!
When finding the older gold the other old stuff shows up too! And vice versa!

SnT

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there is a big difference between "random finds" and actually "targeting period specific items." Sure, you're going to pluck some random older stuff while cruising those places that have attracted a lot of people over the years, that's a given, but if you had your choice between those long-time popular locations or those undeveloped stretches of beach that see very little activity, and this was during prime hunting conditions, I think most are going to stick to those popular locations. I think this is one of the big reasons why some hunters experience some measure of consistent success when it comes to finding these older, period specific items. These hunters are knowingly sacrificing the modern stuff, and in many cases, in the face of even worse odds. I admire their dedication to that pursuit.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
depends on which itch needs scratched more!!! which whispering voice you choose to listen to!!!
presently, I choose to hunt the old stuff even though the voice tells me .....

"youre gonna miss a boatload of modern gold, you know you wont find anything old....hunt the modern gold, its just laying on the surface, easy pickins!!!!"

stupid voice!!!!!!:laughing9:

chuck.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
depends on which itch needs scratched more!!! which whispering voice you choose to listen to!!!
presently, I choose to hunt the old stuff even though the voice tells me .....

"youre gonna miss a boatload of modern gold, you know you wont find anything old....hunt the modern gold, its just laying on the surface, easy pickins!!!!"

stupid voice!!!!!!:laughing9:

chuck.

And it is like that. Little voice keeps trying to get you to second guess yourself and your purpose. :laughing7:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got gold fever...if that modern gold was easy pickens Id be on it.

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good topic Scoop! I'm wondering...with the wind and seas high on Wed.& Thurs. here and on the Wreck beaches, is it worth it to leave here. It's been a miserable summer for modern finds. So, take a chance down south in foreign territory in the hopes of scoring some history. That would be so cool. Either way, we're lucky to be able to go :icon_thumright:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got gold fever...if that modern gold was easy pickens Id be on it.

If gold rings had no value, I would be out looking for them just because. I went out purposely to look for earring backs and studs just because there was something to look for.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If gold rings had no value, I would be out looking for them just because. I went out purposely to look for earring backs and studs just because there was something to look for.

I did that for small chains a couple of times, didn't really care what kind, I just had something in mind and I wanted to see if I could actually target them. One thing I learned, the smaller/finer ones will often roll with the current until they either ball up into a more centralized mass or until they become trapped/snagged in some way. Of course, if they have a fairly dense pendent they'll get anchored sooner, but if it's just the chain then they tend to roll/drift about the bottom a lot like a feather in the breeze.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
I did that for small chains a couple of times, didn't really care what kind, I just had something in mind and I wanted to see if I could actually target them. One thing I learned, the smaller/finer ones will often roll with the current until they either ball up into a more centralized mass or until they become trapped/snagged in some way. Of course, if they have a fairly dense pendent they'll get anchored sooner, but if it's just the chain then they tend to roll/drift about the bottom a lot like a feather in the breeze.

I want to find some feathers.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me too sponge. I'll take a pin feather right now. Haven't been to the beach in 3 weeks. It's killing me!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to find some feathers.

Just about all of the "real ones", (small/fine chains) I've found have been with the small coil and max sensitivity settings and they are seldom good repeatable tones unless they are balled up, and even then those responses are very faint/small. Usually these chains are just broken chirps, sometimes whipping the coil quickly back and forth over them will often produce somewhat repeated responses, but not always. Sometimes, when in disc mode, I'll get a very faint threshold break that can be easily mistaken for an iron null. For this reason I almost always go through the process of double checking those very faint nulls, especially if the threshold returns with something other then that low iron growl. Nearly all of the small/fine gold chains that I have found have come this way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread