What am i doing wrong :(

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Start "Gridding" at the "Towel Line" which starts at the high water line and goes 30-feet inland. Pick an area at the towel line 30-feet long by 30-feet wide that is crowded during the day and work it north to south low and slow, then east to west low and slow. Rinse and repeat in the next 30-foot section. It is hard work and should bedone early A.M. or late P.M. when everybody is at home - Good Luck!

kladdhunden

Apr 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
u won't come home with a ring or something good everyday.
its alot to do with luck if finding anything special.
how my hunts go is like this.
Wake up
Grab detector,shovel
go to beach
discrimination=noone (all metal mode)
Digs everything thats not a solid iron signal
finds a few coins
finds 500 bottlecaps,shell casings,bullets,wrappers,pulltabs etc etc
comes home
another day another bust
go to sleep crying
wake up
take detector and shovel
go to beach
discrimination=noone (all metal mode)
finds 5 bottlecaps
finds 1 coin
finds some more bottlecaps
bottlecap signal and im almost crying inside and its a gold ring
by this time i do a sweet find i have been out so much my wife divorce me and i have dug about 5000 bottlecaps and died alittle inside to find the gold ring but it gets me so exited i repeat every step again.

Last edited:

kladdhunden

Apr 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my advice if u have not been out much is to visit the same beach more and more.
you will learn what spots u usally find stuff in and what spots are more empty, the empty spots may also hold something amazing u never know but learning a beach takes time.
not finding much in towel line maybe u have good luck at dune line.
not finding much there u maybe switch to some other spot on the beach etc.
after a few trips u know what spots is most likely to find something good and what spots are more "dead" areas.
and remember its alot about luck!

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Xs 2a pro, Excalibur ll, Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Time and patience, don't discourage yourself. Keep everything you dig and over the course as you clean the mess the more familiar with the nuances of the area your working. Rather work my local beach and know that I'm not going to run into the same trash every time.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep going back to this, "The average ring is only about one inch in diameter and they could be anywhere." If you don't pick a small section, as Terry already suggested, and then cover every inch of that section, was that ring in the one inch of beach that you missed, or in that one inch of beach that everyone else missed?"

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If it isn't lost you will not find it.... If you don't put your detector over it, you won't find it..... If you are not the first pig to the troth, there won't be any food left when you do get there..... Hunt often, search thoroughly by gridding. Get to know your beach and the movement of the sand. You will eventually find some treasure... However, it is not like going to the jewelry store. For me, it takes about 100 hours of hunting for each nice find. Happy Hunting, Beach Papa

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
You might have my problem Kev.Anytime I went to a beach usually the first thing i see is somebody with a detector.I gave up beach hunting a long time ago.I find relic hunting more interesting anyway.

neo

Jul 15, 2013
Hickory NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally had a few hours at folley beach in SC to try my dectector went all over didnt find anything not even trash.

califteacher

Sep 30, 2012
Vista, San Diego County, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
I feel your pain. I bought an expensive new detector a year ago, and have found mostly clad & junk at the beach. While I have found a few costume jewelry rings, and a few silver toe rings, I haven't really found that one thing that goes "BANG!" Yet, you see postings every day with photos from those who find wonderful things. I am concentrating on perfecting my technique and gaining more experience. While I am optimistic that I will one day be able to do the ring dance, it does take some effort to keep my spirits high. In the end, just being at the beach on a beautiful day, seeing some beautiful women, and enjoying the great outdoors is nearly reward enough.

Fitzwilk

Jan 6, 2013
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I am optimistic that I will one day be able to do the ring dance, it does take some effort to keep my spirits high. In the end, just being at the beach on a beautiful day, seeing some beautiful women, and enjoying the great outdoors is nearly reward enough.

That's my philosophy as well. Every time I hit the beach I'm getting exercise and gaining skills. I figure I have to dig hundreds of zincolns before being rewarded with gold. Every crusty penny I dig gets me that much closer to the prize. :tongue3:

dennco2000

Dec 4, 2012
Englewood Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Mark II - AT Pro - Garrett 580 PP.
Primary Interest:
Take your wife... chances are she will find a ring first trip out.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The people you see posting their finds - most of them have been at this hobby for a very long time. They have a lot of knowledge and experience. It's like anything else, gold, tennis, basketball, etc., the more you play the better you get.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also remember that for every ring or gold pendent you see posted, this is what you DON'T see :thumbsup:

Attachments

• todays treasure.jpg
    todays treasure.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 136

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• stuff2.jpg
    stuff2.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 116

DnD

Aug 24, 2012
First Coast, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX, Nox800, Excal, Explorer, CZ, AT, Sea Hunter, DP Pulse & Diver, Surf PI, BHID, and BH
Primary Interest:
Take your wife... chances are she will find a ring first trip out.

After moving to Florida, we started taking family trips to the beach to let the kids play and me MD. Each time I found less than $0.50 per hour, but...
- 1st trip, my oldest found a thin silver bracelet while digging with his plastic sand toys
- 2nd trip, my wife found a bunch of quarters laying on the top of the sand....turned out to be over $4 in change
- 3rd trip, my youngest (3) found a $20 bill

Pffftt, using those statistics, its better to sell the detector and just hire some kids to find treasure. LMAO

-David

OP
OP
K

kevinc

Greenie
Nov 10, 2013
Thanks everyone for your comments and information. Will defo take my time and grid the beach. This might sound like a stupid question but What's the best place to search search on a beach, wet or dry sand?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread