Advice Please! Buying a pinpointer for Christmas gift????

Detectorwife

Nov 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I am not sure where this should be posted but I would like some advice or an opinion on a good pin pointer to buy for my husband for Christmas. Since he has been hunting the beach seriously for the last year or two (and finding me jewelry :) I would like to get him something detecting related for Christmas. He has recently been talking about buying himself a pin pointer. I have never used one (I hunt underwater with a garret sea hunter mkII when I get time, he hunts the dry sand often) so I'm not sure what to look for or if it is even something that would prove useful over the long term. I know he has had his eye on the Vibra Probe 580 and the Vibra-Tector 730. I like that they are both PI like the sea hunter but not sure what else to look for. Also not sure which is most useful, the 4" coil (not technically a pin pointer but way smaller than the coils we use) or the wand like VP 580. I definitely want to get something that can get wet since I plan to borrow it :laughing7: I would ask him but he doesn't know much about them either and I want it to be a surprise. So, do you use a pin pointer and what kind do you like?
Thanks in advance!!!!
C-

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett pro-pointer without question.. But from the manufacturer that cannot go underwater.
The vibra probe would be the choice for getting in the water but in my opinion it's not real good on land
I don't know why Garrett has not come out with a good version of an underwater pro pointer
There's many easy ways of keeping a pro pointer dry if you're not actually taking it under water... Some as simple as a ziplock bag.
The pro pointer can be taken completely underwater with just a little plumbers putty and shoe goo if he's handy

Last edited:

kladdhunden

Apr 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on how u will use the pinpointer, if dry Garret pro pointer no doubt.
if wet,well thats a diffrent story and i aint good at diffrent storys but im sure many others here are.

Dak

May 26, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter XL 500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own a 730. SAVE YOUR MONEY. Pin pointing is not its strong point. Not sure it has one. I would suggest the 580 for water though I have never used one. Own a Garrett for dry land and feel it is a quality unit that works very well.

Hag730

Apr 29, 2012
Saint Marys Georgia
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No need for a pinpointer if he has a good scoop....hint hint.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hag is right.. If he only hunts the beach.. Once you leave the beach though a pin pointer is worth its weight in gold which apparently you get...hmmmm

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Garrett without a doubt. If its a little wet just tape around the mic. and punch tiny holes in the tape at the mic .Remove the tape when dry occurs. Good luck

OneEyedBandito

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy has a Vibra-quatic 2 and after using it now I want one! We tested his and it picks up objects several inches away from probe.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No need for a pinpointer if he has a good scoop....hint hint.
Exactly what I was thinking. A good lightweight scoop is all one needs on the beach!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the Garrett Pro Pointer and love it! The Pro Pointer
Works so well I have often thought about putting it on a straight shaft!
Haven't used it in the water though and if that is the plan maybe you can get
Him a Pro pointer and he can get you the waterproof one you mentioned!
Good luck!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Garrett, it works well, however, unless I get sloppy the detector finds the target all the time.

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey Wifey
There a lot of fakes from china floating around. Especially on eBay so buy from a reputable dealer.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with every single post in this thread.
Garrett for land.
Vibra for underwater use.
Reputable dealer.
Most of the time an experienced hunter can do it with his coil, but at other times a PP is worth its weight in targets.

BOXING63

Jan 7, 2007
PIRATE ,CT
Detector(s) used
Excalibur ll, Sovereign GT / New England Detectors USA
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
go with the Garrett pro-pointer

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wifey: Most beach hunters, who use long handle scoops, do not bother to carry a pin pointer, as they either use the holes in the scoop to sift, or dump the contents of the scoop on the ground (better method) and kick the sand away to isolate the target. When you use a pin pointer, it negates the advantage of a stand up scoop, as you have to bend down/drop knee to isolate the target plus there is (extra weight and more to go wrong) as you have to bend down/drop knee to use it. However, I have noticed that beach hunters, who use very sensitive detector(s) such as the CTX 3030, which detects very small targets, often carry a pin pointer.

On dry sand at the beach, I prefer the Garret Pro Pointer, as it is easy to find a target in the side of a hole, since it detects off its side(s) as well as its tip. Plus, It is easy to carry (more streamlined shape) and faster to pin point with (unless there are multiple targets are within it field(s)). The led light really helps to see a target in the hole or a night. Unfortunately, this pin pointer tends to false alarm on wet sand and is easily destroyed by salt water as it is not water proof (only water resistant).

On wet sand, in the rocks, or when shallow water hunting with a float and plastic sifter, the vibra probe 580 is my pin pointer of choice. Since it uses pulse induction technology, mineralization does not cause false targets. You also do not have to worry about damaging it if you submerge it and it can be used for shallow diving to seventy feet (IIRC). It is more precise as it only detects near its one inch diameter tip, and is stealthier since it only uses vibration (no sound, nor light) to indicate a target.
Surprisingly, even though the Vibra probe 580 uses pulse induction, it does not detect deeper than the Pro Pointer. You have to be more disciplined when using the Vibrant Probe 580 as it does not have the capability of detecting of its side (tip only). Also, it can interfere with your main detector, and your main detector can interfere with it, so you have to avoid pointing either coil toward each other, or turn one or the other off.

For more depth and larger targets or diving, I would use the larger water proof vibrant aquatic 2, which vibrates plus has a flashing light. It is less precise as it uses a 2 inch search tip.

I would not use the water proof Vibra-Tector 730 Pulse Induction Metal detector (a mini PI detector with 4 inch search coil) as a pin pointer as it is not precise enough for pin pointing.

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can water proof your garrett - check on you tube - a few guys show you how they did it
I was going to use a marine clear caulk - have used it to seal detector leaks
cheap and easy to remove - when battery needs changing

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting