Frustrating Hunt!!!!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I know better, but it was such a beautiful evening at the beach I just couldn't help myself, so into the water I went. Know here's where the frustration begins.....the bottom was very sandy, even a bit lumpier then yesterday, but compared to yesterday the surf was fairly lite and it made for comfortable, quiet, solitude and target rich hunting. Can claw, pull tabs, pennies, dimes, can slaw, pull tabs, whole cans, half cans, pennies, dimes, can slaw, pull tabs, can bottoms, can tops, whole cans, screw caps, half cans, and, yep, even cheap sunglasses. Now I'm use to these things, as we all are, but I got to tell you I just wasn't getting out of that water because the evening was just too darn nice. Heck, all the junk wasn't even all that frustrating, however, chasing all that lite stuff in the soft sand started to get really frustrating after a while, so much so that I vowed that I wouldn't abandon a single target, digging entire trenches if I had to until they were all safely corralled in my scoop. Yep, this is where the frustration started to build, that lite floaty crap washing from the scoop, easily pushing here and there, sucking back into the hole, and aimlessly drifting about the bottom like a fall leaf scooting across the ground on the heals of a whispering breeze. Needless to say, near the end of the hunt I started giving up on a few of the more demanding targets, just too darn fatigued and frustrated to give a damn! When I finally decided to leave I was clearly waving the white flag of defeat, a few choice words for the beach over my shoulder as I trudged to my lonely but trusty vehicle. "Ok Tonto, take me home!" :laughing7:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
been there, done that!! far too often!!!!!!!!!!

chuck.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I chased a couple of the older style "great sounding" pull-tabs half-way across the ocean floor this evening. Pretty obvious they were pull-tabs once they started drifting away but I was on a mission to let none escape me. :laughing7: I'll bet the bottom looked like a mine field after this evening's hunt. :laughing7:

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was me yesterday! I finally just went under the water. Vowed not to go today. It was tough but I didn't give in. :icon_queen:

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just laughed my @$$ off.

Ok, I know better, but it was such a beautiful evening at the beach I just couldn't help myself, so into the water I went. Know here's where the frustration begins.....the bottom was very sandy, even a bit lumpier then yesterday, but compared to yesterday the surf was fairly lite and it made for comfortable, quiet, solitude and target rich hunting. Can claw, pull tabs, pennies, dimes, can slaw, pull tabs, whole cans, half cans, pennies, dimes, can slaw, pull tabs, can bottoms, can tops, whole cans, screw caps, half cans, and, yep, even cheap sunglasses. Now I'm use to these things, as we all are, but I got to tell you I just wasn't getting out of that water because the evening was just too darn nice. Heck, all the junk wasn't even all that frustrating, however, chasing all that lite stuff in the soft sand started to get really frustrating after a while, so much so that I vowed that I wouldn't abandon a single target, digging entire trenches if I had to until they were all safely corralled in my scoop. Yep, this is where the frustration started to build, that lite floaty crap washing from the scoop, easily pushing here and there, sucking back into the hole, and aimlessly drifting about the bottom like a fall leaf scooting across the ground on the heals of a whispering breeze. Needless to say, near the end of the hunt I started giving up on a few of the more demanding targets, just too darn fatigued and frustrated to give a damn! When I finally decided to leave I was clearly waving the white flag of defeat, a few choice words for the beach over my shoulder as I trudged to my lonely but trusty vehicle. "Ok Tonto, take me home!" :laughing7:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll tell you one thing....it was no place for the stealth scoop. I can't tell you how many of those lite targets I watched float/flush right out of that big open topped scoop. :laughing7:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just laughed my @$$ off.

If you knew how many times I said, "You've got to be kidding me!" this evening it becomes even funnier, I'm sure. Eventually, "You've got to be kidding me" grew into, "REALLY! AGAIN! YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!" :laughing7:

NCGREG

Oct 6, 2013
Coastal Plains
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II BHID DFX MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you knew how many times I said, "You've got to be kidding me!" this evening it becomes even funnier, I'm sure. Eventually, "You've got to be kidding me" grew into, "REALLY! AGAIN! YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!" :laughing7:

Man, your trip sounds almost exactly like my last outing. I have to say that my new Excal II keeps me on my toes every time that I take it on the beach. I was huntin' in a low spot that was water logged, and had all of the signs of a productive area. Well .. I was swinging along really steady and slow, and low and behold all at once I heard that solid, low, but faint, and familiar sound of something valuable. I dug, and dug, and dug, and dug .... finally I found it, ... half of an old pull tab in the bottom of the hole. I was so tired, and p&*^*d off ... my back was killing me, and sweat was pouring off of my forehead onto my sunglasses so that I couldn't even see through them. That little piece of crap was at least 20" inches down in heavy, thick shell mulch. That mutha sounded just like gold! It had such a wide halo around it, that it looked like I was digging a well when I finally found it. The whole hunting trip was like that, everything was way down deep....and most of it was can slaw, pull tabs, brass screws, and tiny pieces of bronze fishin' hooks. I can't for the life of me figure out how that light stuff ends up so deep, unless it's been covered up several times by previous dredging for several years.

I'm right there with ya cuz...I feel the pain too LOL!!!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wasn't in the mood to go looking for a location with possibly better potential. I got to the beach later then I wanted, one of those last minute decisions, low tide was nearly already upon me, and I just wanted a nice relaxing hunt in that fairly flat surf, watch the sun settle slowly over the horizon, let my mind drift off into wondering blankness. Well, my own stubbornness and persistence sure shot that notion right square in the rump! On any other day I would have been out of there after the first fifteen minutes, but Noooooo! I'll be seeing pull-tabs and pieces of shredded tin in my sleep for a week now. :laughing7:

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got the brass screws too and weird round lead things!!!

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just wasn't in the mood to go looking for a location with possibly better potential. I got to the beach later then I wanted, one of those last minute decisions, low tide was nearly already upon me, and I just wanted a nice relaxing hunt in that fairly flat surf, watch the sun settle slowly over the horizon, let my mind drift off into wondering blankness. Well, my own stubbornness and persistence sure shot that notion right square in the rump! On any other day I would have been out of there after the first fifteen minutes, but Noooooo! I'll be seeing pull-tabs and pieces of shredded tin in my sleep for a week now. :laughing7:
Do you think it would have been better farther out into the surf? Just wondering

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think it would have been better farther out into the surf? Just wondering

Nope. The further I went out the softer the sand under my feet, not to mention that retrieving targets gets even more difficult out there. Had a guy this summer attempting to use a snorkel, "Man, you can't see a foot down on these beaches." He gave that idea up in a hurry. :laughing7:

NCGREG

Oct 6, 2013
Coastal Plains
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II BHID DFX MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I even had one of those falling through the holes in my scoop this evening. "ARE YOU KIDDING ME!" :BangHead: :laughing7:

Oh yeah, I chased down several of those small pieces of fishing hooks around for a good while too! They sounded like a possible real nice white gold earring post :laughing7:

NCGREG

Oct 6, 2013
Coastal Plains
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II BHID DFX MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's like I was saying in another post, the troughs that I did find were so soft I was sinking down to my knees, when I tried to hunt in the water. I've been checking out the live beach cams for the past several days, it's as slick as a baby's butt around here. Every beach that I hunt is sanded in, and no wind events to speak of for the next 5 days. Although, this big winter storm coming in next week might have something behind it......One can only hope :tongue3:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I've put the Excal to bed, tucked it in and told it a bedtime story (Little fella was tuckered out and fell fast asleep tonight.) Now it's my turn. :laughing7: "Once upon a time there was a huge giant named Mountain who lost his platinum ring......"

Last edited:

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock a bye baby nite nite.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Im still thinking of targets that I have had to leave. Was it a chest or not? Maybe it was a 1972 Dolphins superbowl ring? Or the key to the city? Just have to move on and come back another day. Oh wake up its Friday. LOVE DOCTORS TOY DRIVE STILL KICKIN

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Xs 2a pro, Excalibur ll, Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe it was a 1972 Dolphins superbowl ring!

Lol sponge getting knocked out of playoff hunt this Sunday, I too have envisioned a super bowl ring in the scoop, but for my team I have 6 chances instead of 1 :p

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread