Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I don't have one, but I wish I did yesterday! Too much digging with that T.REX. The sifting is the hard part.

IMG_4434.JPG 52 pennies; 8 dimes; 5 nickels and 1 quarter plus some junk jewelry

IMG_4435.JPG Two big lead things. I have no ides what they are. Any ideas?

IMG_4438.JPG The back side of the lead "thingies"

These were all found in the bay.

Upvote 0

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that a Cobia/Lemon Fish you are holding (I get hungry everytime I see it)?

I have switched to using a Sunspot Classic Eight Sugar Sand stand up water scoop with the 90 degree angle for shallow water hunting.
It is more efficient in sifting as you automatically sift each time you hop the stainless steel basket straight up from the bottom in small steps.
Sifting is much faster and easier this way as there are significantly more holes in the bottom of a basket than at its end.
What is really neat is that this scoop acts like a steam shovel when you step higher on the extended foot plate which acts like a fulcrum point on a lever to near effortlessly break the basket free from the beach mud/sand. Unless there are a lot or ear ring studs or very valuable small targets, one would be better off with the standard Classic eight (all one half inch holes) for even faster sifting.

It takes a little getting used to as you have to lean forward to dig, so may have to get your face wet when digging in deeper water.
The only downside to using this more stable stronger scoop, which can be further reinforced, like they do in Okinawa, to pry larger rocks, is that an item can get wedged between the handle and the bottom of the stainless steel basket. This is no bigee as it can easily be cleared with a small stick.

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
That's some fine hunting and treasure, looks like a real good location.
Calm Chesapeake Bay waters I use a sifter and Miller scoop, Found the lighter the sifter, the better for carrying also. When your hunting a older location their is so much mix in with the scoop of treasure it really sucks up the time if you have to dig thru the scoop. The Miller scoop offers no bending or leaning.

fsa46

Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites DFPI, 2 @ Excalibur II, 2 @ Sovereign GT w/ 10" & 8" Tornado coils, 2@ 10x12 SEF coils all on their own rods, Whites MXT Pro , 2@ Garrett Pro Pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sifting makes life a lot easier and faster when hunting in muck, gravel/rocks or any bottom other than sand. IMHO

Last edited:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jonnie.... thats why i went to a Starvr scoop. Lighter and you loose only 1" on the side. I dont know anyone who has broke one yet. I see nothing that would have fallen throw the 1/2" holes. Those shells can be tuff to get thru and like you said sift with 1/4 holes. Looks like you found a fun spot that should keep you busy.

Dew

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crane with bucket & huge industrial shaker with sifter screens. OSHA would probably require that I wear a hard hat, ear plugs, and safety glasses - but I could live with that. :icon_thumright:

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've been sifting since 1982 with a White Amphibian and a floating sifting box. Later I used a suction dredge before Florida outlawed them in lakes. Attached a big sifting box that was deep for catching anything that the riffles didn't. A small suction dredge can be used along Florida's coastal areas because the tides fill in the holes. I've often thought it'd be ideal for many of the Intracoastal areas where people congregate with ski boats and jet skis as they are really trashy.

OP
OP
baywalker

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for all the good feedback, I think I am going to make non metallic floating sifter box.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread