East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I bought my CTX 3030 in February 2013. At the same time I bought a 13x17" coil. The coil of course did not come with a separate lower shaft, and of course it is a pain to change coils onto the same lower shaft, and would be nice to have a second lower shaft for my second coil. I don't often use my smaller coil, but it is tough to drag that 13x17" coil through the water. Years ago when I bought my Tesoro Tiger Shark with an extra coil, it came with a second lower shaft, but Minelab doesn't do that. In February an extra lower shaft was unreasonable at an extra $100. Now the price is outrageous at $175. Has anyone come up with an alternative to the Minelab lower shaft? I am just doing my research, and no sense in reinventing the wheel if someone has already figured it out. Christmas Blessings to y'all. Beach papa

Upvote 0

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$175 for a spare shaft? It's a CTX. Just turn that machine loose on the beach one morning and then buy 2. :laughing7:
But seriously, given the design of the shaft you're probably locked in to their parts. You know what they say, "If you can afford to buy it and drive it......" :dontknow:

MexGT

Sep 23, 2013
México
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030 & Stealth 920i
Primary Interest:
switching coils only takes 5 mins...

aussiedigger

Sep 10, 2008
Brisbane Queensland Australia
Detector(s) used
ctX 3030 6 &17 inch coils all with shafts... 2 x Sovereign GT's... Modified Excal11 with PP switch on the handle and Connection for GG Amphibians & Skullies headphones by JBN ...Cibola C/Sweep coil
Primary Interest:
I don't get it :dontknow:

You spent thousands of dollars buying a top machine now you have a problem spending a $175.00 for a extra shaft..?
Not me I went out bought 2 and the extra coils straight away have made the money back already in finds. :thumbsup:

aussie

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree and for only for only forty two dollars more, You can buy a Minelab kit containing the friction washer, bolt, and nuts needed to attach a coil to the lower rod. Hopefully, there are enough parts in the kit to connect the smaller six inch smart sniper coil to one of the the $175 lower rod and the other $175 lower rod to the larger 17 X 13 smart coil (Duh)! I bought the coil and lower rods months ago, but still have not been able to get the parts to properly connect the coil to the lower rod. I now know why Minelab refers to the lower rod/pole as the shaft (sigh)!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Beach Papa

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:

You spent thousands of dollars buying a top machine now you have a problem spending a $175.00 for a extra shaft..?
Not me I went out bought 2 and the extra coils straight away have made the money back already in finds. :thumbsup:

aussie
Just cause I bought a quality performance detector and paid big bucks for it doesn't mean I want to or have the money to throw away on an overprice replacement part that I will rarely use. That is why the after market auto parts manufacturers stay alive selling high priced replacement auto parts for a fraction of the price the dealer sells virtually the same part for. Lots of folks on here have made straight shafts for a fraction of what a new Anderson straight shaft goes for and the resulting quality is just as good. I am not a pauper, just trying to save a buck on what seems to be an overpriced part if I can.

I realize that it only takes 5 - 10 minutes to change coils on the lower shaft, but every time you do, you risk messing something up. I don't use the smaller coil much, but when I do, it would be nice to switch coils more easily than changing the coil on the end of the shaft.

Thanks for the input, I am not at home right now, but I will have to do a little more research to see if a less expensive alternative to the Minelab shaft is feasible. Maybe everyone else on here who has a CTX3030 doesn't need a second lower shaft or thinks the prices are just fine.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought it would be easier changing coils and shafts at the same time so I bought shafts for all my coils. The fact is it's more of a pain to change the shaft then to remove a bolt as you still have to wrap the cord around the shaft and screw it in either way.

aussiedigger

Sep 10, 2008
Brisbane Queensland Australia
Detector(s) used
ctX 3030 6 &17 inch coils all with shafts... 2 x Sovereign GT's... Modified Excal11 with PP switch on the handle and Connection for GG Amphibians & Skullies headphones by JBN ...Cibola C/Sweep coil
Primary Interest:
Just cause I bought a quality performance detector and paid big bucks for it doesn't mean I want to or have the money to throw away on an overprice replacement part that I will rarely use. That is why the after market auto parts manufacturers stay alive selling high priced replacement auto parts for a fraction of the price the dealer sells virtually the same part for. Lots of folks on here have made straight shafts for a fraction of what a new Anderson straight shaft goes for and the resulting quality is just as good. I am not a pauper, just trying to save a buck on what seems to be an overpriced part if I can.

I realize that it only takes 5 - 10 minutes to change coils on the lower shaft, but every time you do, you risk messing something up. I don't use the smaller coil much, but when I do, it would be nice to switch coils more easily than changing the coil on the end of the shaft.

Thanks for the input, I am not at home right now, but I will have to do a little more research to see if a less expensive alternative to the Minelab shaft is feasible. Maybe everyone else on here who has a CTX3030 doesn't need a second lower shaft or thinks the prices are just fine.

First world problems :laughing7:

Good luck with your quest for a cheaper alterative let us know how it pans out for you. :occasion14:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not for the CTX 3030 - The cable is inside the shaft.

I thought it would be easier changing coils and shafts at the same time so I bought shafts for all my coils. The fact is it's more of a pain to change the shaft then to remove a bolt as you still have to wrap the cord around the shaft and screw it in either way.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

aussie

Same thing here got the small coil the large coil and 2 extra shafts on initial purchase I haven't made my money back yet though probably cuz I've only sold one find.
Yeah it's a lot of money but what is money just another lubricant IMO,
CTX is a great pleasure to use yeah it's got bells and whistles but they are somewhat useful

jeepGold

Sep 7, 2014
Vegas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Nox800
Primary Interest:
I own a CTX. It aint that hard to swap a coil over dude. Be glad you have the option to be able to even do so. Collapse the shaft, turn it 45 degrees,one click of the base and some pliers to loosen up the cannon plug. Pull it off swap it out. BIG deal. I understand the "inconvenience" but carbon fiber aint cheap. Go price a CF scoop handle... Much less engineered and just as much or more money. Have you looked at the Anderson CTX CF travel shaft? If you're in the market, that's the way to go.
And yeah, it's a 1st world problem indeed.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I agree that it is not that hard to swap, but I have 3 coils, it would be nice to just have them mounted,

I am asking Santa for a pair of Andersons...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check with Minelab Repair center, they may have a used one they would sell.

_________________________Tapatalk Signature_________________________

DT2016

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions