May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I'm getting old but these are starting to look like a good idea. Does anybody have suggestions or preferences. I know very little at this point and am assuming that a bright color may be in order. What should I be looking for? Thanks

Upvote 0

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well if you like the ring around your waist, I like the ones with the swan head

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't use one but probably should at times. Instead, after a couple of close calls last year, I'm just not as fearless anymore, but probably should still use one, especially in the winter months. I'd say you're smart for considering one. :icon_thumright:

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a p.f.d. that kayakers use they only come down to your waist , it makes it a lot easier to move around in , they also have them for fly fishermen that have lots of zippered pockets .

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a black Stearns ski vest. Very comfortable. Good insulation too. I use it on my boat, I do not detect in the water, there's a lot on the sand.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ones that are inflatable that go around the back of your neck and down the front like suspender straps are a good choice, when not inflated they take up little space, little water drag, and are comfortable. They inflate with the pull of a cord which releases a gas from a cartridge and are usually equipped with a tube for mouth inflation in case the cartridge system fails. They are available from surf fishing suppliers and I am sure other water sport suppliers too. They will save your life and are a good investment if you go out in the water much.

OP
OP
G

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The one with the swan head is probably too expensive, but I know I shouldn't compromise on quality.��

aussiedigger

Sep 10, 2008
Brisbane Queensland Australia
Detector(s) used
ctX 3030 6 &17 inch coils all with shafts... 2 x Sovereign GT's... Modified Excal11 with PP switch on the handle and Connection for GG Amphibians & Skullies headphones by JBN ...Cibola C/Sweep coil
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Coiffee spill funny :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

On a serious note though could we get a few links to these devises?

aussie...

OP
OP
G

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks gunsil

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Use one 95% of the time when in the water. Have a couple but prefer manual inflate so you can adjust as needed and when needed. The Manual inflate fishing vest I can carry my Probe and story my treasure away in the multiple pockets. When hunting the ocean I use the type they use on jetskis...At 61 you can never be too safe, I was out hunting with a rookie hunter in the Bays calm waters, walking along I stepped in one of his rookie holes and went under but as fast as I went under I came back out just as fast. Dag hole must have been 2 feet deep. After that I keep my phone in a water proof container.

OBN0090.jpg

OP
OP
G

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the input.

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Inflatable PFD's are great like Gunsil was talking about. However, be careful when choosing the one you buy. There are 'auto-inflatable' and 'manual' inflatable.
The auto will inflate if a part of it just gets wet. Not a good idea for beach/water detecting. You'd probably want the manual one. pull a little rip cord.
I've heard of auto inflatables inflating on guys while fishing in the rain.

NCGREG

Oct 6, 2013
Coastal Plains
Detector(s) used
EXCAL II BHID DFX MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had to get my mess back together, so that I could make sense after that.. Seriously though, I have found a beautiful spot that I think might be good on the sound side. I have a fisherman's PFD vest...that will work for that spot......But I'm leaning toward the mermaid....AND.....the swan :laughing7:

fireman803

Greenie
Jan 31, 2013
Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch that hurts Joe

Use one 95% of the time when in the water. Have a couple but prefer manual inflate so you can adjust as needed and when needed. The Manual inflate fishing vest I can carry my Probe and story my treasure away in the multiple pockets. When hunting the ocean I use the type they use on jetskis...At 61 you can never be too safe, I was out hunting with a rookie hunter in the Bays calm waters, walking along I stepped in one of his rookie holes and went under but as fast as I went under I came back out just as fast. Dag hole must have been 2 feet deep. After that I keep my phone in a water proof container.

View attachment 912587

Why do I have the feeling you're talking about 1 of my beautiful little holes I dug?.....I think you're exaggerating that hole was not 2 feet deep, it was only 23" deep.
LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread