Dumb stunt at the river

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to the river today with high expectations. The power company had the water down about 10 inches due to heavy rains up north and I really wanted to work around both the docks. I went to one I hadn't worked much and got on the other side and somehow when my At/Pro fell against my sifter, it disturbed the seal to the battery box. It started acting up and I tried ground balancing, frequency changes & reset, but no good. I thought maybe it's an underground power line and went to the other side of the park. Still going nuts on me. Changed out the batteries, coil and put on another set of head phones and hit the water, same thing. Tried reset and ground balancing and noticed the numbers for the ground balance were 13 to 23 and normal is mid 70's to high 80's.
Back to shore and took the rechargeable batteries out. That's when I noticed the moisture on the batteries. Took off my waders and left the plug for the battery box out and have it standing up and hope when it dries it will work. I fell down before this happened by tripping on a vine and that had me concerned that I would be able to detect and then all this other stuff happened. Real disappointing day to me, but maybe it will work Saturday. I really wanted to take advantage of the water being down, even tho it was less than a foot. Makes a difference when you are wearing chest waders. Hope the rest of y'all had a better day than I did. I just hope I don't have to send it to Garrett. They will take care of it, but I hate being without my water detector.

Upvote 0

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
fongu, I'm sorry to read about that sad set of circumstances that you encountered at the river today.

That must have been so frustrating; I hope the detector will be fine, and that you will not have to send it in for repair.

Let us know what happens.

Lorraine

jcobb

May 23, 2008
Ft. Worth Tejas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030...AT Pro & Garrett Pro Pointer
Bounty Hunter 505 (Loaner)
It should work fine once the battery compartment dries out. The electronics are completely water sealed from the rest of the electronics

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
I know it is a little unusual, but you could put some dry rice in the battery compartment and it will suck all of the moisture out of it overnight. Works on cell phones that have been dropped in water. Just be sure to clean it out good tomorrow. I would think it will be fine as long as there is no saltwater involved...Stuart

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my guys dropped an expensive Motorola Walkie Talkie in the creek one day, about 4 feet down. He stood up on the bottom and looked at me. The look on my face told him to dive for it.

I put it on the defroster vent, and it worked the next day.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to the river today with high expectations. The power company had the water down about 10 inches due to heavy rains up north and I really wanted to work around both the docks. I went to one I hadn't worked much and got on the other side and somehow when my At/Pro fell against my sifter, it disturbed the seal to the battery box. It started acting up and I tried ground balancing, frequency changes & reset, but no good. I thought maybe it's an underground power line and went to the other side of the park. Still going nuts on me. Changed out the batteries, coil and put on another set of head phones and hit the water, same thing. Tried reset and ground balancing and noticed the numbers for the ground balance were 13 to 23 and normal is mid 70's to high 80's.
Back to shore and took the rechargeable batteries out. That's when I noticed the moisture on the batteries. Took off my waders and left the plug for the battery box out and have it standing up and hope when it dries it will work. I fell down before this happened by tripping on a vine and that had me concerned that I would be able to detect and then all this other stuff happened. Real disappointing day to me, but maybe it will work Saturday. I really wanted to take advantage of the water being down, even tho it was less than a foot. Makes a difference when you are wearing chest waders. Hope the rest of y'all had a better day than I did. I just hope I don't have to send it to Garrett. They will take care of it, but I hate being without my water detector.

Sounds like the AT/PRO is a very fragile machine. Seems I hear about them breaking all of the time. I think nugget noggin has gone thru three our four and my buddy just got one and on one of his first hunts it went haywire.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sheer number of people who now on an AT Pro is going to make everyone here things going wrong with them they go wrong with all the machines just not all machines are owned by that many people.

arrowheadted

Jun 2, 2012
Sorry for your tough day. Hope it works for you soon. I've had a At pro for 2 1/2.years now and have been pretty rough on it. I use it about 15-20 hours a week in the water and on land and it works as good as new. I keep it in the truck all the time, I never wash it (except when it's in the lake), I seem to drop it once a week or so and it just keeps on going. They say you always hurt the ones you love and it's true here.

OP
OP
F

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may have got water in when I checked the batteries on the dock and my hands were slightly wet or I might just need some silicone on the seals. I will find out tomorrow. I've never had much trouble with mine except for breaking the bolts on the coil over tightening them. It's mostly operator error by not maintaining it like I should. About the last time I was in the water I cleaned it up good and put silicone on all the seals, but did not seal the battery plug. The speaker and coil o ring are well maintained, but I neglected the battery seal. I'm going to hit it with the air drier this evening and put some packets of silica in the battery compartment until morning and try it again. If something is still wrong, I will send it to Garrett and use the GTI-2500 until I get it back in the shallow water and use my sling to keep the housing out of the water. HH.

OP
OP
F

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit the river today and the water was so high I couldn't get out to far. The silica packs dried it out and I put silicone on all the seals and it worked great. All I found was trash and 2-3 pennies and it rained all afternoon with a cold wind and didn't get out of the 40's with the air temp. But, my At/Pro is working and I'm a happy camper. If I could have found something special, that would have been icing on the cake. I left the 5 X 8 coil on instead of my 8.5 X 11 and worked some trashy areas with lots of weeds and around one side of the dock. HH.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Good to hear the AT Pro is working again! I now will look at my battery compartment!
HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread