Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:metaldetector:I went out today at Lanikai with my Excal,it sure is a heavy machine :metaldetector:if you don't set it up right..I did not find much ,but the pretty starfish bracelet was an eyeball find:icon_thumleft: and I figured I show how the Hawaiian ring cleaned up,Thanks Tilton.I tried disc mode-volume-high,sens-6,discriminate-and Threshold until I hear the Hum,it wasn't working right,static and going bonkersso I switch to PP-volume-high-sens-8,disc-1,worked out better,Oh Well until I can meet up with someone else so they can try out my Excal,,----HAU'OLI MAKAHIKI HOU--FAMILY::hello2::hello::occasion18::wav::spam4:

Attachments

• photo-230.JPG
    photo-230.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 136
  • photo-232.JPG
    photo-232.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 163
  • photo-231.JPG
    photo-231.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 147
Upvote 0
OP
OP
kiana7

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kiana don't listen to them! Fly me over as I'm used to the warm weather!:laughing7:

Seriously though, I put a "rods-by-plugger 3 pc. Carbon Fiber shaft on mine
and it's perfectly balanced with zero issues!

I have a bad shoulder that I wore out surfing and I can swing my Excal with
no problems! It feels very balanced with no concerns to weight!
Thanks Rusty,I already contacted him,I'm gonna have it mailed to my Cali home on the 10th:thumbsup:

OP
OP
kiana7

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can take all that weight off your arm by making a neck harness. I cut about a one foot length of an old alum lawn chair and drilled the holes and at the top for fastening an old camera strap. All the weight is on your neck and the cable is free to the shaft. View attachment 922343 This is the proto type made from a piece of wood before I used the alum tube.:icon_thumright:

Thanks Sandman,I always pray for your Healing for you to recover so you get back on Track,you're one of those that always gave good advice and encourage other's:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
kiana7

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kiana, two words >>> Black sand.

It can drive a detector and its user crazy. All you can do is adjust your sens from max till your unit is stable, with black sand different areas you hunt will prob require different sens settings to remain stable. You cannot run yours as hot as I run mine here on the east coast, vol max, threas low so I hear those faint signals, sens max just off auto, disc does not apply I only run in PP.

Because of the black sand all you can do is adjust your sens till she is stable or run in PP mode and even then you may have to run off max to get her stable.
On Oahu we do have alot of white Sand Beaches

OP
OP
kiana7

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hmmmm....... kiana , I am an expert in minelab Excalibur bbs technology, I even helped design the excal bbs technology along with gary storm, ron popeil and al gore!!! I can help you out for the cost of airfare, daily meals and indefinite lodging, actual excal training will be free, but call now!!!!!

I use a straight shaft and hip mount my machine, stock s- shaft is horrible!! I have heard some machines have trouble dealing with unusual sand conditions over there!!!?

chuck.

Spam Musubi and Kimchee,rice vienna sausage is your daily meals:laughing7:

OP
OP
kiana7

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Happy New Year All My Friends and GOD BLESSING'S BE UPON AL OF YOU AND YOUR FAMILIES:hello2:

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On Oahu we do have alot of white Sand Beaches

True very true, but think where the island came from, even on those white sand beaches you have a mixture of black sand mixed in, which really plays with your mind, because you see white sand and knowing your machine you think "ok i should be able to run her hot" but then you discover you can't because she is so erratic.

The problem is, even though you see white sand, there is black sand mixed in, it has to be, your living on an island created from a volcano, black sand in your perticular situation is made up of small fragments of lava. Lava is a smorgasbord of metals, rocks, anything that got melted and flowed with the molten lava to the ocean, or land where it was broken down into fine particles, hence deposited onto the beaches. You know more about that than I do as you live near many black beaches.

The black sand you are encountering is different than the type of black sand found as a result of placer deposits.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm "assuming" you were using your CZ on these same beaches with no issues? If that is indeed the case then you should be able to achieve stability with the Excal on these same beaches. This is why I'm speculating that it might be an EMI issue, interference that is bothering one or more of the frequencies when you switch the Excal to disc mode. When you switch to PP a lot of these frequencies drop out of the equation which then allows stability to be achieved. If your machine is going ape-crazy in disc just sitting motionless, but runs stable when switched to PP, then it's either EMI or a machine issue. This, of course, assuming that you could run your CZ in disc on these same beaches with no issues?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "black sand" of Hawaii is NOT the problem type of black sand. When people talk of have trouble with black sand, they are referring to magnetite and hematite which are are forms of iron ore.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason, thank you for your reply, with all due respect on this matter we will have to agree that we disagree.

As you can see in my post I stated "The black sand you are encountering is different than the type of black sand found as a result of placer deposits."
I did not go into detail of the black sand as a result of placer deposits, which is what you are referring. There are two major types of black sand, placer and volcanic, of which either can effect detectors. Althrough the black sand which is a result of volcanic action does not effect a detector as much as black sand from placer action does, ( nor do they effect detectors in the same manner, as you pointed out above), both still effect them. Volcanic black sand is a smorgasbord of materials, metal ores included. Lava is not refined to remove any ores which may have become molten and flowed with the lava to later be shattered, broken down into finer particles known as black sand.

So with all due respect all I can say is that both of us are correct.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say four words >> Black Sand; Hot Rocks
While the Black Sand can drive the user of a metal detector crazy;
The Hot Rocks can turn the detectorist into a comedian.

Many locals find it quite amusing to watch a Newbie, digging for a coin
which does not exist. It is sort of a right of passage, which everyone has to
go thru to understand the humor. That beautiful white sand, often covers large lava rocks which are hot.
You also run into this when detecting near a break water, often built of boulders of hot rock.
When you detect near something like this in the discrimination mode, you have to turn your sensitivity way down and
be careful when you dig as could easily twist and break your ankle.

Kiana, two words >>> Black sand.

It can drive a detector and its user crazy. All you can do is adjust your sens from max till your unit is stable, with black sand different areas you hunt will prob require different sens settings to remain stable. You cannot run yours as hot as I run mine here on the east coast, vol max, threas low so I hear those faint signals, sens max just off auto, disc does not apply I only run in PP.

Because of the black sand all you can do is adjust your sens till she is stable or run in PP mode and even then you may have to run off max to get her stable.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EMI above; black sand / hot rocks below:
The Excalibur radiates Electro magnetic Interference (EMI) and is sensitive to EMI from man made as well as natural sources.
The Excalibur 800/1000 is probably more sensitive to EMI than the later Excalibur II 800/1000 as it has less shielding.
As a rule of thumb, you should stay 20 feet away from another detectorist to keep from interfering with each other. If you are using a pin pointer which uses pulse induction, you need to keep the detector coil pointed away from the pin pointer or turn it off. Mobil communications used by nearby security guards can also drive the Excal bonkers. As well as electronic equipment in resorts such as an automatic door opener, lighting, and office equipment. Some times you will just have to walk far enough away to get away from the interference.

:metaldetector:I went out today at Lanikai with my Excal,it sure is a heavy machine :metaldetector:if you don't set it up right..I did not find much ,but the pretty starfish bracelet was an eyeball find:icon_thumleft: and I figured I show how the Hawaiian ring cleaned up,Thanks Tilton.I tried disc mode-volume-high,sens-6,discriminate-and Threshold until I hear the Hum,it wasn't working right,static and going bonkersso I switch to PP-volume-high-sens-8,disc-1,worked out better,Oh Well until I can meet up with someone else so they can try out my Excal,,----HAU'OLI MAKAHIKI HOU--FAMILY::hello2::hello::occasion18::wav::spam4:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread