Time away from the hobby....

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.....been maybe a month since I've seen the beach, couldn't get it out of my mind, like I was experiencing serious withdraws and none of the distractions seemed to be working. So, about an hour before low tide finds me rushing around the place trying to quickly load the truck, which I somehow managed to do without forgetting anything. Anyway, I finally get to the beach and it's now raining dogs and cats, but don't really care because I'm going anyway, getting wet anyway, so what's it matter. So I drive the beach for a short spell looking for a likely spot but don't really see anything that excites me, don't matter cause I'm going out there anyway, I need a fix and one way or the other I'm going to get it, cause I gotta have it. It's that way with us junkies, eventually there comes a point in time when we're not going to be denied and I was at that point. A few minutes later I see a length of dark water, it appears fairly flat out there so in a matter of minutes I'm suited up, gear in hand, and off I go. And this is where it gets interesting.

The first thing I notice is that I've apparently either grown much liter or more buoyant over the last month, the relatively mild swells and currents pushing me around like a floundering ship. Took a little while to get use to it again. The second thing I noticed came with that first target, a bit of uncertainty in the unfamiliar tone. Had my headphones experienced some sort of change or had I experienced some type of hearing injury in the past month that I was even aware of? And why is my arm fatiguing so quickly - with only an eight-inch coil on the end of the stick? Good lord! What has happened during the past month that all of this is suddenly feeling so strange and a tad bit new to me? But, thirty minutes later it was all falling back into place for me again........"Thank God!" :laughing7:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right now the swells and currents are moving across the beach, several places already starting to open up prior to this blow, so come Saturday these places should be a little deeper and holding more promise. But come Saturday evening the winds shift back to the east and southeast and these places will start to fill back in very quickly, the few good opportunities vanishing much quicker then they came, possibly even overnight. I've witnessed it time and time again and it can drive you absolutely crazy. :laughing7:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my experience - on these beaches the sand is king. When the king is away from home the hunting can be good, but upon his return.....> :notworthy: "Bow to the King." :laughing7:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does indeed happen, glad you over came!

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
In my experience - on these beaches the sand is king. When the king is away from home the hunting can be good, but upon his return.....> :notworthy: "Bow to the King." :laughing7:

The king must be doing some home remodeling cause he is still here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread