DIY sand sifter, light, cheap, different and works great

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DIY Floating Sifter, light, cheap, different and works great

I made this sifter by cutting the top off a 5 gallon bucket. Then I drilled some holes around the sides of it to slip the zip ties through then zip tied the pipe insulation to it.

I had the prospecting classifier from a kit I bought before but only got to use it for it's intended purpose maybe once or twice a year when I visit a buddy out west.

The classifier has fins around the outside of it to sit higher on the bucket, so I had to grind them flat so the lip of the classifier sat flush with the top of the bucket. Classifier are made to fit into a 5 gallon bucket.

It drops downs nice and snug into the bucket top and the whole thing floats like a cork. Plus it's deep so it won't be easy to lose anything. You could fill this with rocks and it wouldn't go under and you can remove the classifier to get a closer look if you wanted to. Classifiers are pretty cheap and come with holes from 1/8" on up. The one I used here is either 1/4" or 5/16" but I could use a different one with smaller or bigger holes. it would drop right in.
Thanks for looking.

HH
John

Floatingsifter1_zpsf1d7f46e.jpg Floatingsifter2_zps09f8e4e8.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

auferret

Sep 25, 2007
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sunray DX-1
Falcon MD20
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice idea to make the classifier removable. Now you don't have to flip the whole thing to dump out the rocks.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great idea! Thanks!

OP
OP
dirtyJohn

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the nice comments
HH
John

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Very clean and function able, I like the fact there is no metal. I have build several and they are worth there weight in gold. The first 2 I built were heavy, then after one season I realized light was the secret. Only thing I would add to yours would be some lead weights to keep it in place, the dag things like to follow you around getting in the way, the lead weights on a string will keep them setting in one place until you need, then you just give it a yank...Good Luck, Nice Work...

fsa46

Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites DFPI, 2 @ Excalibur II, 2 @ Sovereign GT w/ 10" & 8" Tornado coils, 2@ 10x12 SEF coils all on their own rods, Whites MXT Pro , 2@ Garrett Pro Pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice job DJ... I like it.

One tip you may want to consider beside what OBN mentioned, which is VERY important. Tie yourself a 3' - 4' lanyard off the tie wrap, to get the metal latch away from your sifter and you won't have any problem running your coil over the sifter to see if anything is in it.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice sifter. I like the way you can remove the sifter to dump out rocks and shells. I used to use one long ago but it turned into a chore when I came out of the water to detect the dry sand on the way back to the car. But it is best to have one if the waves aren't to rough.:icon_thumleft:

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice work.... easy to carry with the removable classifier. Add the weights and tow cord and maybe a loose looped wire tie between the bucket and classifier....it could work as a hinge for when you dump and you wouldn't have to worry about losing the classifier IF it came off with a wave or the wind.

Cliff

OP
OP
dirtyJohn

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. I did think about tying a thin nylon rope from a fishing stringer from the bucket to the classifier. The lead weights are a great idea.
Thanks again,

HH
John

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That came out great I use a much larger version when I fossil hunt in certain rivers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread