New Commercial Slams Beach Detecting?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL have to agree with both sides here. It does show us in a bad frame, but in anything bad, you have to look at its bright side, at least our hobby is considered worthy enough to be spotlighted on a commercial.

Heck they could dress me up in a pirate outfit and have me out on the beach if it would help our hobby/sport/profession.

I think you're looking at it the right way. Commercials are expensive and the last thing they want to do is to utilize "props and images" that the vast majority of viewers don't even recognize. If they use that in a fun way, so what, in my mind it's just confirming that the hobby isn't just a mysterious unrecognized hobby anymore. When huge businesses have the much confidence in something then that something is big enough to be there. Like you said, some good and bad with everything.

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Unfortunately, on several occasions I have been verbally criticized by individuals on the beach as if I were the scum of the earth for hunting for things that other people loose on the beach. The commercial is funny, but believe it or not, it does defame the character of every person that metal detects on the beach. I don't go right up to people's blankets or towels, I am not rude and I try to stay away from the crowd, but when I walk through an area where there are a lot of people, I get looks that say what the person is not saying but thinking. Some people obviously don't care what I am doing, but you can tell that others are bothered by it. Commercials like this one don't help our cause. I sent them an email expressing why I thought the commercial was offensive.

mineralized_miner

Dec 2, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster GT
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys laugh now, but what if a person takes it seriously, or it catches the attention of one of the oh-so-sensitive american politicians?

Then it's lights out for detectors.

Probably won't happen, but it scares me to think that that is what the media thinks of detectorists. Like another blow to our already tarnished names, this commercial adds thief to the already commonplace ideology that detectorsts are weirdos, so no good can come from this, the way I see it.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, on several occasions I have been verbally criticized by individuals on the beach as if I were the scum of the earth for hunting for things that other people loose on the beach. The commercial is funny, but believe it or not, it does defame the character of every person that metal detects on the beach. I don't go right up to people's blankets or towels, I am not rude and I try to stay away from the crowd, but when I walk through an area where there are a lot of people, I get looks that say what the person is not saying but thinking. Some people obviously don't care what I am doing, but you can tell that others are bothered by it. Commercials like this one don't help our cause. I sent them an email expressing why I thought the commercial was offensive.

Pick any hobby, profession, etc., etc., etc., and you will always have people that don't approve of it or look down on it for whatever reason. On the other hand I can't think of anything that hasn't been made light of in what some may see as something less then a desirable fashion. Just the way it is and the way it has always been. Don't take it personal and don't let it get to you, just go about your business and enjoy your hobby. The minute you let it get under your skin it owns a piece of your personal happiness. :thumbsup:

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Pick any hobby, profession, etc., etc., etc., and you will always have people that don't approve of it or look down on it for whatever reason. On the other hand I can't think of anything that hasn't been made light of in what some may see as something less then a desirable fashion. Just the way it is and the way it has always been. Don't take it personal and don't let it get to you, just go about your business and enjoy your hobby. The minute you let it get under your skin it owns a piece of your personal happiness. :thumbsup:

Golfers got enemies. They hack holes all the time.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you guys honestly think that people will see that commercial and think detectorist take gold from peoples body...come on, its a JOKE...I cant believe this could upset someone.:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Out of step my Baby my poor old fashioned baby!
It was black socks in the 60's!
Neon Pink in the 80's!
Tommy Bahama socks with matching camp shirt in the 2000's!
Back to flip flops in the 2014's!:laughing7:
Another Lame commercial!

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I agree. It's a joke. People forget how to laugh at stuff and themselves now a days. Geeze! I'm sure their is funny vids of people in other hobbies as well.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is a better depiction of a guy detecting on a beach than most of the time. I think its funny !

TreasurDiggrNY

Dec 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ha ha the jokes on them, everyone knows detectors can't pick up chains THAT good :tongue3:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had that insurance company I'd dump them. Not just for the MD scene, but because all their commercials are really stupid.

Well, what ya got for choices? A lizard, Mayhem Moron, and the worst - the ever-present and most annoying Flo?

How many of you actually shop for insurance by looking at the settlement performance? None of them want to talk about that; they'd rather divert us with Flo.

Pardone for editing, but:

We ALL pay for the commercials with higher rates, they blame goes to the insurance executives. I've actually met some of them, and suffice it to say none of them are my friends. In fact, none of my buddies like them.

Last edited:

thadd

Oct 7, 2012
Huntington Beach, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haven't caught that one on TV yet. Is that a Whites the guy is using? What kind of scooter is that bear riding also? Wonder if the PETA fanatics are writing in about that?

Funny stuff. ☺

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK for some of the posters that say it sheds a very dim light on us, maybe it does, but it is our duty to enlighten those people.

Many times I have shown my trash pouch to people on the beach, showing them that we are helping to protect them and their children from the many sharp metalic objects we dig up or find right on the surface.

We, meaning each of us are ambassadors for our sport/hobby/profession, and as such it is our responsibility to it to enlighten those who do not understand what we do.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
I love it when I find a big bad ass nail and the beach goers see me pick it up. I look at the nail then their feet and say not today,not today.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who would need a metal detector to find that chain?:laughing9:

That's exactly what I said!

I saw the commercial before I had my coffee, hit me like a cold bucket of water! I also thought the detector was a whites so I was really miffed! Now I just hate the TV! Can't wait for spring so I can get away from the darn thing!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you guys honestly think that people will see that commercial and think detectorist take gold from peoples body...come on, its a JOKE...I cant believe this could upset someone.:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

Here in Mass they closed Nantasket beach to Metal detecting BECAUSE there was a few people running around with detectors stealing people's stuff right out of purses and and stuff!!!!!
They weren't detecting they were using it as an excuse to steal!
Well can't detect there now! And it is a nice beach with tons of people!

That's why I'm not laughing,...miffed!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread