Minelab Safari - Coin / Jewelry Mode?

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
I live on Florida's Treasure Coast and mainly hunt the beaches near the 1715 fleet wrecks. Most of the time I use my Safari and alway have used it in the ALL METAL mode because of the presence of numerous desirable historic iron items etc. This weekend I plan on doing some early morning detecting on beaches adjacent to several hotels, resorts, time shares and nightclubs in search of modern coins and jewelry. Has anyone used their Safari extensively in the COIN & JEWELRY mode? Any input, observations or recommendations? Any information that you share will be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy neighbor...
I don't use a Safari and this is just my opinion but unless the area is filled with trash I always keep my machine in all metal mode on the beach.
If your accustomed to your machine I'm sure you can tell difference in the signals...as to what ones you want to dig.
Personally I want to hear all the signals it gives me a good picture of how things are gathering on the beach.
You can use that information to adjust your placement on the beach.
I'm talking about wet sand here if you plan on hunting the dry I suppose that would be a different story I hardly ever do that

Last edited:

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Xs 2a pro, Excalibur ll, Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also hunt the beaches in all metal mode, old sovereign xs2a and excal II, not only are most of the targets few and far between with current conditions, all metal gives you extra depth. Can always switch back and forth as well.

sandnut

Nov 17, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II uMax , Tesoro Silver uMax, Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
When I had a Safari I only used all metal mode. I found a small ladies 10 k wedding band one day it showed a jumping id number from 3 to 10 one way and 10 to 3 the other , was at about 6 inches deep. Try backing your sens down to 15 and see if you can tell a pull tab from a nickel. Really hard to tell nickel from pull tab and gold from pull tab and nickel. ID don't help much and sounds don't help any. Hope this helps some....

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
I live on Florida's Treasure Coast and mainly hunt the beaches near the 1715 fleet wrecks. Most of the time I use my Safari and alway have used it in the ALL METAL mode because of the presence of numerous desirable historic iron items etc. This weekend I plan on doing some early morning detecting on beaches adjacent to several hotels, resorts, time shares and nightclubs in search of modern coins and jewelry. Has anyone used their Safari extensively in the COIN & JEWELRY mode? Any input, observations or recommendations? Any information that you share will be greatly appreciated.

If you are only interested in coins and jewelry. Put Safari in Coin/Jewelry preset mode. Set Trash Density to high. Notch out everything except 14-17 and 33-40. Do a noise cancel in a clean spot. Get ready for the coins to jump into your pouch. :laughing7: This has been my experience. Good Luck & HH!

OP
OP
treasurecoasteric

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
Really? No kidding? I won't miss any jewelry by notching those numbers out? Just curios as I never tried that.

OP
OP
treasurecoasteric

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
Believe it or, I just sent in my garage and saved that as a custom setting - you better kno what you're doing LOL

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
Really? No kidding? I won't miss any jewelry by notching those numbers out? Just curios as I never tried that.

If you want to leave 8-10 open it will increase your chances for a possible small ring, thin chain, or earring but normally those turn up as trash readings. It's up to you. The settings I stated above have been great coin shooting settings for me and has saved me much time with the Safari. Let me know how this custom setting works for you? Have a great time at the beach and HH :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread