Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hello,

Can someone shed some light on low tide for me? Lets say that on a tide chart the low tide time at a specific beach location says
11 am. What would be the best time to arrive at the beach to catch the true low tide line? Would it be several hours before, an hour before or what?

Thanks for any help.

Upvote 0

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 hours before and 2 hours after. I like hunting from 10 AM to about 2 PM know matter what the tide is. That the time when most of the people are there.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unlike Ron, I try and catch low tides when NOBODY is there to get in my way. If low tide is at 6am, I am there from 500am - 800am. If low tide is at 100pm on a busy beach day, I blow it off. Basic rule of thumb (for me), is one- or two- hours before and after low tide. Dry sand and high-tide waterline hunting very early morning or late afternoon-evening after the crowds have left.

OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Unlike Ron, I try and catch low tides when NOBODY is there to get in my way. If low tide is at 6am, I am there from 500am - 800am. If low tide is at 100pm on a busy beach day, I blow it off. Basic rule of thumb (for me), is one- or two- hours before and after low tide. Dry sand and high-tide waterline hunting very early morning or late afternoon-evening after the crowds have left.

Thank you for your post. I found a target today in Ft. Pierce. Had a really hard time finding it with my new SEF 10x12 coil on my minelab 1000. The tide changed and I started having serious problems finding it with the new coil. I have marked it and will go back in the morning. I hope it is not a bottle cap or a sinker LOL. I have to go back just so I know what it was or it would drive me crazy.

OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Thanks Ron. I appreciate your response.

OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Thank you for your response Terry. Best regards.

Garry

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

Can someone shed some light on low tide for me? Lets say that on a tide chart the low tide time at a specific beach location says
11 am. What would be the best time to arrive at the beach to catch the true low tide line? Would it be several hours before, an hour before or what?

Thanks for any help.

It depends on your location and the tidal phase (which can vary considerably throughout year).

By "true low tide line", you probably mean MLW (Mean Low Water). NOAA's definition for this is: "The average of all the low water heights observed over the National Tidal Datum Epoch".

Here are a couple of different tide charts, the first from Jensen Beach, the second from Blackbeard Island, GA.
When the tidal height in feet is 0.0, that is MLW. When the tidal height in feet has a negative number, the tide is that number of feet below MLW.
What is important to remember is the amount of moving water at a given location.

Jensen Beach Tides.png

As you can see, at Jensen Beach this time of the lunar phase, there is a maximum of around 1.5 feet of moving water per tidal swing(roughly 6 hours or so.) This is not much. The speed it will cover and uncover the beach is dependent on beach slope, but in general, you can be assured that the water moves very slowly and so you have plenty around the times of low tide to detect.

Blackbeard Island tides.png

Contrast this with Blackbeard Island, Ga., where there can be 7.5 feet or more of moving water between the same tidal swing. In locations like these the beach will cover and uncover MUCH more rapidly, so that you would probably want to arrive at your location considerably earlier.

The bottom line is that everything is dependent on your geographic location and the tidal phase.

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on your location and the tidal phase (which can vary considerably throughout year).

By "true low tide line", you probably mean MLW (Mean Low Water). NOAA's definition for this is: "The average of all the low water heights observed over the National Tidal Datum Epoch".

Here are a couple of different tide charts, the first from Jensen Beach, the second from Blackbeard Island, GA.
When the tidal height in feet is 0.0, that is MLW. When the tidal height in feet has a negative number, the tide is that number of feet below MLW.
What is important to remember is the amount of moving water at a given location.

View attachment 928329

As you can see, at Jensen Beach this time of the lunar phase, there is a maximum of around 1.5 feet of moving water per tidal swing(roughly 6 hours or so.) This is not much. The speed it will cover and uncover the beach is dependent on beach slope, but in general, you can be assured that the water moves very slowly and so you have plenty around the times of low tide to detect.

View attachment 928330

Contrast this with Blackbeard Island, Ga., where there can be 7.5 feet or more of moving water between the same tidal swing. In locations like these the beach will cover and uncover MUCH more rapidly, so that you would probably want to arrive at your location considerably earlier.

The bottom line is that everything is dependent on your geographic location and the tidal phase.
Jolly mon could not have said, or showed it any better. The moon play's it's part - phase and position.

OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:

View attachment 928329

View attachment 928330

Very nice. Thank you. This is what I have been looking for. Have a nice weekend.

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Yep nothing like a new moon with some sand cutting chunkers coming in. I like it when the tide reaches out and starts changing the landscape.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found that spending a lifetime from an early age fishing the Florida east coast was a huge help when it came to this.

OP
OP
slider66

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Yeh, grew up in Broward County, went fishing in the Everglades, 400 bass in an afternoon back then was routine. Salt water fishing in Chokoloskee fl near Naples was unbelievable when I was a kid. Snook, Redfish and trout until you couldn't catch anymore. Life was good back then.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread