Nice surprise!

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Excal II, Fisher 1280X, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So i have been playing around with density tests on some past finds. Basically, you find the mass and then find the volume and divide the mass/volume to get the density. Then look the density up on a chart based on the alloy that the ring is and it should match up to determine the metal type used. So 2 rings that I found last year that were originally thought to be silver ended up being white gold. One was marked 825 with no other marking weighing 3.73 grams. I thought it was 925 but after doing the density test, it had a heavier density which matched up on white gold. I looked closer at the stamp and it was actually 825. Woohoo. So i decided to check another ring that i was unsure of which was stamped 925 with a circle K (usually meaning gold) and turned out to be white gold as well. Pleasantly surprised. Waiting for my chem tests to be delivered in the mail and will verify.

3.73g 20K White Gold Ring
1.62g 22K White Gold Toe Ring

Upvote 0

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Isnt 825 mexican silver?

Don't know on 825 but found a nice ring marked 950 once, thought it would be platinum but I knew by its purplish color it was gonna be silver.
A little research led me to find out it was Mexican silver and confirmed by a acid test. In denial I was still hoping for plat but acid test don't lie I guess!

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
825 is Mexican silver and 925 is also silver not 22kt,but I am not a Rocket Scientist just A nobody that know better.

Just curious Ron, how do you do on finds in your neck of the waves?
East coast had its moments but has been a let down at times

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my 25 years of detecting in salt water beaches I can say I have never found a gold ring of high karat quality (18,20 or 22kt. gold) pitted. Gold coins found from Spanish Gallions still look the same

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in
Just curious Ron, how do you do on finds in your neck of the waves?
East coast had its moments but has been a let down at times
in your neck of the wave,what are you talking about??

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joking! Like in your neck of the woods expression.
How's hunting in your area?
Hunting here really suck, the last gold ring I found was in Sept. Sence then they have add 365,000 yds. of sand on my beaches. That 20,277 truck loads of sand. Now all we need is a real big Storm !!

Last edited:

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hunting here really suck, the last gold ring I found was in Sept. Sence then they have add 365,000 yds. of sand on my beaches. That 20,277 truck loads of sand. Now all we need is a real big Storm !!
Sorry to hear that!
Same here,they dredged from the water and pumped up about ten ft of sand on the beach and now it's iron clips from the pipe with an occasional fresh drop.
I feel your pain!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread