Going to China in two months...

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Upvote 0

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They'll probably confiscate the damned thing and start counterfeiting it!!!

OP
OP
search and recovery

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
LOL! I just do not want to get confiscated!

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL! I just do not want to get confiscated!

Ain't that the truth! Seriously though, I don't think China is a country that they would allow a foreigner to bring electronic equipment into the country and search for ANYTHING. I'm sure it would be great detecting if you could.

OP
OP
search and recovery

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
My fiancée is there and we are trying to find out what is leagle there. Really tough to get answers. Must be a secret to all but the privilidged few. Hasn't anyone here been to Asia detecting before?

OP
OP
search and recovery

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
WOW ! The lack of response is defining. On my own on this one I guess.

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your best bet would probably be to contact the Chinese Embassy in Washington.

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Xs 2a pro, Excalibur ll, Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen a few detectorist posting from overseas, not china specifically, but one of the other forums may hold a larger response. Can always tell custom your returning to get a part for the detector.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Even if you're allowed to take it in I'd say you're asking for trouble. Think about it, even in the USA where you speak the language some people have issues with authorities. Now you're a foreigner, don't speak the language, are an American in a communist country and you're a treasure hunter. I'm sure they have EXTREMELY STRICT laws for looting (Whatever their definition may be). Even with papers stamped in triplicate from high up authorities you could spend a bit of time in a Chinese jail just because some local cop doesn't like it while they sort it out.

Better safe than sorry, leave the detector at home and just enjoy the culture.

OP
OP
search and recovery

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the reply's Locator, Hubcap, and Henry. My thinking is that it will probably be hard to get them to allow me to bring a detector in the country and like you said Henry could run into trouble with the local police even if allowed. I would like to be able to carry my detector with me so that I could hit another set of beaches in another country on the way home. Maybe a tropical island for a few days. I have seven weeks of vacation for this trip. Many possibilities as to what we decide to do yet.

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey search and recovery!! Here's a thought!! You can probably buy a knock off over there very inexpensively and if they donot allow you to return with it, just donate it to the Chinese Gov't!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

OP
OP
search and recovery

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Verde, that is thinking outside the box. I could just get my fiancée to order one and leave it at her home. Wonder if they have an Excall knockoff yet? LOL!!!
Still I have to know the laws of the land and follow them always. Too easy to get into trouble in a foreign country.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You could always ship it to the Hotel where you'll be in the Pacific once you have your destinations settled. It'd be awesome to hunt Fiji or someplace!

OP
OP
search and recovery

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Hey Chris!
Long time since we talked. Hope all is well with you. You are right about that. I am trying to cover all bases before going to China. Do not want any problems. Girlfriend was just checking on detectors in China. Funny. She could buy them from the U.S.A. And Australia but not from China. But prices were two to three times as much for the same machines when bought here. But they could buy them. So still not sure if allowed. We are going to check with China embassy tomorrow for clarification of laws concerning detecting and customs. The trip will be great even if I can not detect. Really missing my lady even though we video chat every day. Visa process is slow. But a chance to visit China will be interesting. Detecting there would be icing on the cake. Imagine hunting a beach that has not been hammered by hundreds of other detectorists.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
The lack of response is defining. On my own on this one I guess.

I dont think China is the,lets say,the most wanted vacation spot right about now.Except for maybe the wanna be commies

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Chris!
Long time since we talked. Hope all is well with you. You are right about that. I am trying to cover all bases before going to China. Do not want any problems. Girlfriend was just checking on detectors in China. Funny. She could buy them from the U.S.A. And Australia but not from China. But prices were two to three times as much for the same machines when bought here. But they could buy them. So still not sure if allowed. We are going to check with China embassy tomorrow for clarification of laws concerning detecting and customs. The trip will be great even if I can not detect. Really missing my lady even though we video chat every day. Visa process is slow. But a chance to visit China will be interesting. Detecting there would be icing on the cake. Imagine hunting a beach that has not been hammered by hundreds of other detectorists.

Everything here is well,just starting to age a bit:laughing7:.I agree with what Donald said(pippinwhitepaws).I don't

think you would like the jail accommodations there. Man I am looking so forward to some SOFT dirt!

OP
OP
search and recovery

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Pippin, homeland security fact sheet is interesting. Just the reason I would not want to create any problems for myself, and all government policies are followed as per their guidelines. However, I am talking about beach hunting for change and modern jewelry and not historical artifacts. I would certainly hand over any relic to proper authorities if found.If either government says that it is not allowed then the detectors stay home. No problem. But I will get a definitive answer before I go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions