East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I know there has been a lot of discussion about using salt and vinegar instead of something more toxic for cleaning coins. In theory that is a great idea. However, many common and harmless household item once mixed together can in fact become harmful. Salt and vinegar mixed together becomes acetate and a dilute solution of hydrochloric acid. The hydrochloric acid is much more diluted than a 10% solution of muriatic acid commonly used for cleaning mortar off of bricks, but it is the same hydrochloric acid that is doing the work. I certainly would not want to drink it. So even though it came from household items, you still have to be careful with it around little kids. When I get my hands in it, I can certainly tell that it is much stronger than acidic acid in vinegar.

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Excal II, Fisher 1280X, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man, a treadmill would make an awesome coin tumbler. You could use 5 gallon buckets and lay them right on the running platform. Them throw some side walls and you could do some serious cleaning! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tymber79

Jan 9, 2014
Boiling water and baking soda poured over silver coin on sheet of foil work perfect. Use glass bowl. Rub coin with fingers as water cools.

OP
OP
lost items recovery

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Lost item Recovery, Thanks for the post. It took me a while to figure out that the fins from the bent sign were inside the drum that holds the coins and sand, but I got it now. Looks like a great solution.... I really blew it, I had an old tread mill that I got from the trash and repaired. It worked for about 5 years and broke down again, I got tired of it sitting in my shop waiting for me to stop metal detecting long enough to fix it, so I threw it out for someone else to fix. The motor and speed control still worked, and I thought about taking it apart to take the motor out. Now I am sorry I didn't. It would have been perfect for this project. I will have to see what I have available to make this project happen. I appreciate you taking the time to post your solution. Beach Papa

No problem Beach Papa!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread