Best Beach/Water Detectors?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hope this helps:

OP
OP
M

MetalDetectorDude

Oct 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax, AT Pro, Etrac, Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, thanks for the great info.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For shallow water detecting and diving in fresh and salt water and on the beach (wet and dry) sand VLF multifequency metal detectors are best. The Minelab Excalibur, Fisher CZ21 and Whites BHID 300 are the most popular in the ordered listed.

IF you want maximum depth, dig all - no discrimination, you will want a Pulse Induction (PI) metal detector.
In comparison to multifrequency beach detectors which are more general purpose, PI detectors are more selective.
The most popular PI detectors for shallow water hunting, diving, and wet sand hunting on salt water beaches are the Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites Surfmaster PI Dual Field, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark ll, and the Garrett Infiniium LS (land & Sea).

With the exception of the Garrett Sea Hunter Mark ll and the Garrett Infinium LS all of the coils and headphones on the above multifequency VLF and PI detectors are hardwired.

Many beach hunter prefer the more flexible and powerful Minelab Sovereign (compared to the Excalibur) as it is less expensive and since it is not hardwired t supports different coils, head phones as well as meter and an inline probe accessories. It can be used for dry and wet sand hunting at fresh and salt water hunting and up to knee deep water (with great care - it is not water proof). I do not recommend it as it is not as rugged as the above detectors (drop it in the salt water, and it becomes a very expensive boat anchor), and it is no longer in production, meaning that it cannot be repaired, once parts are used up. It is a shame, as in my opinion it is the best of the best.

All-Terrain VLF and PI detectors can also be used for shallow water salt and fresh water hunting such as the Minelab multifequency CTX 3030 and the new Garrett ATX Extreme PI. As these detectors are more expensive and a depth limitation of only ten feet (whimpy- in my opinion) I do not consider them suitable for diving.

Use of the Garrett AT Pro which began the All Terrain category, is iffy - success depending on your skills and how mineralized the soil is. You may be able to get by with it in lightly mineralized soils, most likely not. Great detector other wise, priced to be affordable, lot to like.

OP
OP
M

MetalDetectorDude

Oct 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. It looks like Minelab has the best water machines as well. I hesitate to pay so much for a Minelab because their support has been lousy (to say the least) in the past... if only they could improve the support.

Smooth Blend

Nov 30, 2013
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari w/ 11"DD coil, 10"x12"SEF, 15"WOT coil, Garrett Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i've recently purchased a minelab detector and service has been great, but if you're still hesitant just purchase from one of the vendors here, they give the hottest deals and support is great as well.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I love my sand shark. Lifetime warranted and way less expensive than Minelab. If money was no object go for the Minelab excalibur...

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
M

MetalDetectorDude

Oct 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diesel - so you dig just about everything? Have a lot of success with the shark?

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The shark goes DEEP! I am getting better at deciding what to dig but always best to dig everything. Usually easy digging on the beach sands so it only takes a few seconds per target usually. Double beeps are often a bobby pin.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the Sand Shark as well:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all in what you want out of a machine, really. With every machine chosen there is some measure of give and take. The other big factor is where you will doing most of your hunting, i.e., some machines do well in some environments but struggle in others. My advice, first determine what you want from a machine, and second, evaluate where you will doing most of your hunting. "Beach and Shallow Water" is pretty broad based, not exactly the case sometimes. Some beaches are fairly clean, others can be loaded with iron scrap, some can even be loaded with hot rocks of various metal types, iron, copper, etc. Some machines fair well in harsh conditions, other just aren't up to the task. A big difference between the best machine and the right machine. :icon_thumleft:

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best machine is the one your using when you make your best find ...
Personally, I use the Shark.

DonM

Apr 2, 2003
Whitby, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Minelab Excal is the Cadillac version of water units - but the Chevy version - a Whites Beach Hunter ID is not a bad choice either - for less money....one thing about Whites detectors - you very rarely hear someone complaining about warranty service issues or cost to repair after the warranty has expired.....but then again I may be biased as I just traded my MXT Pro for a Beach Hunter.

DixieLandMan

Sep 18, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202, White's MXT, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Fisher CZ-21 that I use in salt water and I like it. Dig everything.

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I have a question..I want to upgrade..if I want to hunt on land and wet and dry sand and shallow water, but don't want to dig a post hole woukd the AT be a good fit?
I live in the Santa Cruz ca area..

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
So I have a question..I want to upgrade..if I want to hunt on land and wet and dry sand and shallow water, but don't want to dig a post hole woukd the AT be a good fit?
I live in the Santa Cruz ca area..

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I would say you really need two different detectors...one for land the other for the beach.

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As probably suggested by Terry the two detector approach is a good one. One vlf and one pi machine It's a versatile approach.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's always a CTX for a land/water machine.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Great video Terry!
Clear, concise and lots of good info!
I have two detectors. Excalibur II and an AT pro.
Both serve me well!

toe2short

May 28, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the CTX, which is a great water & land machine combined. My problem is a good set of water-proof head phones that are adaptable for the CTX. I have read a lot of posts from people that are complaining they are having problems hearing when it is windy. I don't want to add a plug or modify my head phones in any way. I would rather pay for a good set and be able to use them right out of the box.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread