Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
Took a break from detecting Long Beach, so I loaded up the equipment and the dog and went to Sunset Beach, CA, and arrived at 5:30AM. Low tide was at 6:00, even though it was a two foot high, morning low tide. I started with the ATX on the sloop of the beach by the water line, could not get to the sweet spot in the trough due to high surf and a two foot low tide.
I used the ATX for the first hour in the dark. I put blue masking tape over the LED's on the ATX when I detect in the dark because those bright LED's blind you, and with the masking tape, the LED's still look like they do in the bright sunlight.

I found some coins, bobby pins, a sharp needle thing with wires coming out the back, stainless forseps, magnet with black iron sand stuck to it, stainless bowl, that bowl was about 5" deep and the ATX sounded several feet before I got to it. I thought there was a trash can lid down there. I raised the coil several feet over the target and it still sounded loud, so I knew it must be something big shallow or something huge very deep. On my second swing with the scoop, I heard a clunk and it was a 8" diameter, 3" high stainless bowl.

My best find with the ATX was a high quality 925 Silver Toe Ring.

Detecting the sloop of the beach with the ATX was wearing on me, so I put the ATX and dog in my vehicle, and grabbed my AT Pro to hit the dry sand.

I used the AT Pro for about 1.5 hours within 200 feet of a Lifeguard Tower. I found a few coins, this day was my lowest coin count in months. I also found a low quality toe ring with no markings, large magnetic paper clip, a lead slug that looks like a bullet, a wheel thing that looks like it turned at one time to cause a shutter effect. I have no idea what it is.

My best find just two inches deep in the dry sand was a 14k Gold Pendant that say "JANETH 8-23-08" on the back.
The attachment is labeled MD39MEX14k - It appears to be made in Mexico, and not trusting Mexico too much, I decided to test it. It does test 14k.

Overall, it was a good day ... thanks for looking.......

ATX Finds

ATX3.JPG -- ATX2.JPG -- ATX1.JPG

AT Pro Finds

AT Pro3.JPG -- At Pro5.JPG -- AT Pro1.JPG

At Pro4.JPG -- AT Pro2.JPG -- KIMG0136.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that pendant is a spinner rim like you see on cars...congrats on the gold and silver.

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that pendant is a spinner rim like you see on cars...congrats on the gold and silver.

Hi lookindown ... Yeah! The does look like a spinner wheel key chain thing. Great! Mystery Solved.

jcobb

May 23, 2008
Ft. Worth Tejas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030...AT Pro & Garrett Pro Pointer
Bounty Hunter 505 (Loaner)
Congrats on the gold! Now take the ATX back where you found the pendant and find the chain!

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the gold! Now take the ATX back where you found the pendant and find the chain!

Hi jcobb ... you read my mind. I found that pendant after the beach cleaning machine went by. It was in the 6" high wake of sand the the machine pushes to the side. So I thought the chance of the chain being close by were slim to none. And besides, it was a long walk back to the vehicle to fetch the ATX :) But I like your thinking!!

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on the gold and silver.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great finds,SCBS!

I like the religious medallion...really nice find:headbang:

Lorraine

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool for you : I hunted there and got 14 extra large nails sicking straight up one 76 quarter , a stainless ring . I have not hit there since I got the Gbpro , free parking is the best deal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread