Questions From a Newbie

wswhiting

Nov 30, 2013
Rogue River, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I live 200 miles from the beach, so I was thinking of doing some water hunting in lakes, streams and rivers here in New York. I was thinking of getting some rubber boots. Are these good to wear in the cold water?

I understand that hunting lakes you should go where people swim and where the human population is dense, but what about rivers and streams? Where are the best spots there? The Hudson River has one swimming spot close to me.

I remember one drought year in Reno, NV, when a man detected the Truckee River close to city hall where everyone got their divorces and then threw their rings in the river. I heard he did well!

Upvote 0

Northern Lights

Sep 15, 2008
Georgian Bay Lake Huron, 2 hrs N. of Toronto
Detector(s) used
whites surfmaster pulse, tesoro silver sabre, fisher 1280x
Hi: Although the densely populated beaches are okay, you also have a lot more competition at them. I always did better at less known beaches or secondary ones. River beaches are good too, and even large campground beaches that don't have a swimming pool. Research is the key. Rather than trying to elude to different aspects by writing here, let me give you an article I wrote 23 years ago. Lots of things have changed,detectors especially but some of the info still holds true today.. I did well in hunting upper NY state on many trips from time to time, you should go quite well hunting inland beaches without traveling to the ocean. Good Luck! Terry%202x[1].jpg Terry%201[1].jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would go with waders, I use Reddington Crosswater waders. Yes, look for swimming spots, boat launches, picnic spots along the river - anywhere people get together. Good luck from White Plains, NY!

Northern Lights

Sep 15, 2008
Georgian Bay Lake Huron, 2 hrs N. of Toronto
Detector(s) used
whites surfmaster pulse, tesoro silver sabre, fisher 1280x
Waders yes! but not hip waders, get chest waders that allow you to go out deeper and get the insulted type, they are more expensive but allow you to hunt in colder water, also you can get a wet suit. Some rental dive shops sell off their rental suits which are lot less in price. A shorty wind surfing suit also comes in handy in the warmer weather when the water is like soup. You can go in just in shorts in the summer but a good pair of wet suit boots is a must for digging .

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neoprene chest waders always did a fine job for me. Not only do they provide some added insulation but there is less chance they will fill with water should you happen to go under, take a wave, or get caught in strong currents. Trust me, once those waders fill up you can find yourself in big trouble in a hurry. :thumbsup:

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
I have wetsuits which are fine in warmer weather but a divers dry suit is the way to go. I bought a Viking dry suit on eBay which cost $1400 and a insulated liner which was another $350 along with extras for $$450. Best move I ever made for winter detecting. You can use the dry suit in all temperatures and use what ever you need for warmth user it. If liner is too hot then do not wear it. Works great.

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You ask about rivers and streams- just go to youtube and type in Beau Ouimette and look at some of the amazing things he has found in rivers and streams in Maryland. I have done very well in rivers!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions