Well i had to try

ctbob

Mar 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dressed in my ice fishing gear yesterday, and hit the beach for some wet sand hunting, and it actually wasn't that bad out. Winds were lite, I was able to find a patch of rocky unfrozen shore and I tucked in close to some houses to help block any of the winds blowing from the north. Since I dressed for it, I was actually warmer than one of my November trips. after an hour resulting in a half a dozen sinkers, and a penny the incoming tide kicked me off my spot. Top of the slope everywhere was covered in ice I also tried a few spots on the flats at the bottom of the slope, but the scoop couldn't penetrate more than an inch of the frozen shoreline.
Today the conditions look even worse concerning frozen shoreline. And if you think about wading, you could be in slushy ice which in areas I saw up to a 1/4 mile out. Took a couple of pics. P1000794.JPG P1000790.JPG
I don't think there will be many New England reports for awhile.

Upvote 0

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What state?

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

claire

Nov 24, 2008
long island ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm V, MX 5, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit the beach yesterday as well. Glad to know that I wasn't the only nut out there (long island beaches). It actually wasn't too bad as long as you dressed extra warm. I could only stand about an hour though and the targets were few. Might try again on sat

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver Sands. Great shot of Charles Island.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Hi c tbob,

Great pics...it's tough goin' out there; I might try "up the line" if it warms any today

Good luck in the hunt

Lorraine

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I thought I had it bad down here! You won't catch o'l mr.b out there in that mess! Heck, I'm worried about the 46 deg. forecast high temp for this weekend :laughing7:

CSMPEREZ

Sep 9, 2012
St. Pete, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 and II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We think it's bad when it gets into the 50s, you guys ARE brave. Wind has been brutal here for awhile! Ray

gold fever pete

Jun 1, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys make me feel both lucky for me and sorry for you. I went out yesterday wearing shorts and a t-shirt. It was around 74 degrees here in Southern California. Had lots of targets unfortunately none of them any good. By good I mean gold....HH GFP

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Ok im going to brave the elements. Got my hoody,flannel,and board shorts. Frostbite is a concern. Its a tough swing but someone has to find it.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Hey, Bob...I thought I saw you out there on Charles Island ct bob.jpg Nice boat! :laughing7:

Lo

OP
OP
C

ctbob

Mar 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, Bob...I thought I saw you out there on Charles Island View attachment 935666 Nice boat! :laughing7:

Lo

Not me Lorraine, I hit the other end of town. With the temps a balmy 30 something and a slight breeze, I just had to get some practice in with my new GT. I wonder if Terry recognizes this spot. WP_20140125_002.jpg WP_20140125_005.jpg An average nothing special hunt for me, but I just have to appease my addiction. P1000798.JPG

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sure do! At least you're getting out. I am snowbound in White Plains!

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Hey, Terry....maybe that's you on Charles Island? ...:laughing7:

Maybe I'll see you there this summer.

Lorraine

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope so Lorraine! :occasion14:

OP
OP
C

ctbob

Mar 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have nothing but respect! That's some cold weather!
I don't know how you do it!!
Believe me RustyGold, I would not be out there if I was uncomfortable. I guess I'm used to the cold, and I dress in layers (even gloves). about 20 years ago I picked up my best cold weather clothing ever, the Walls zero zone coveralls WP_20140126_004.jpg I originally purchased them for ice fishing, but lately I've been detecting with muck boots underneath the coveralls and venturing into shallow pools. The brass zippers still work great even after at least a half a dozen trips. This suit is invincible.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched a video of a guy deer hunting the other night in something like -18 weather and I'll could to say was, "really?" :laughing7: Don't get me wrong, I love the deer hunting to, but -18......."Uh....No!" :laughing7:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
I watched a video of a guy deer hunting the other night in something like -18 weather and I'll could to say was, "really?" :laughing7: Don't get me wrong, I love the deer hunting to, but -18......."Uh....No!" :laughing7:

I hate -18* as well. But around here it's way to common. Once many years ago a buddy and I changed a frame of a pickup outside in January with those types of temps...NEVER AGAIN lol!!
He still has that pickup and now it's four wheel drive.

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread