Using a PI in the water without a scoop

1treasurehunter1

Feb 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett Sea Hunter MK2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone:

I'm a day away from my Caribbean vacation and will be bringing my new Garrett Sea Hunter MK2 with me along with my stainless steel travel scoop.

A buddy of mine actually went to the same resort a week ago and said that a local had a water detector set up for diving (short handle) but wasn't using a scoop, just had goggles on. He was detecting maybe waist/chest deep.

Now my question to all of you is: Will I out-detect him with my scoop? If the guy is using a PI how can he just use his hands and no scoop? Must be a pain in the butt. Unless he's searching for recently lost stuff, those heavy deep gold items must be too hard to get too. Doesn't gold sink really fast as well? Is he cleaning up the garbage for me? What do you think?

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone:

I'm a day away from my Caribbean vacation and will be bringing my new Garrett Sea Hunter MK2 with me along with my stainless steel travel scoop.

A buddy of mine actually went to the same resort a week ago and said that a local had a water detector set up for diving (short handle) but wasn't using a scoop, just had goggles on. He was detecting maybe waist/chest deep.

Now my question to all of you is: Will I out-detect him with my scoop? If the guy is using a PI how can he just use his hands and no scoop? Must be a pain in the butt. Unless he's searching for recently lost stuff, those heavy deep gold items must be too hard to get too. Doesn't gold sink really fast as well? Is he cleaning up the garbage for me? What do you think?

He is fanning the bottom with his hands which is why he has the googles. A lot of people in south florida hunt using this process....

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of treasure hunters in Hawaii just use googles, that's all!
They find coins by looking for the round shape on uncovered (no sand) coral
and search of gold chains and rings looking for the glint.

In areas where there have been a lot of finds, many just fan the bottom.
Some use ping pong paddles.
Heavy items cannot sink deep in theese areas because of shallow coral bottom(s)The downside, is that it is hard on the rotator joints.

Scoops are worse than worthless in areas, where coins and jewelry sink in the small holes (pukas).
Metal detectors do not work well in many places because of strong surges and waves which can easily
rip anything out of your hands. They like surfers wear speedos for modesty under long trunks which are for looks and are often are ripped off.

Oh bye the way, I seriously doubt he is clearing up the garbage and picking up sharps as he most likely he does not carry anything to put them in, to minimize drag in the water.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, you WILL outhunt him using a scoop in the sugar sands of the Caribbean. Best of luck!

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about river mud where there isn't any sand to fan? Would a small scoop or digger be better? I want to work some deeper water and get a pi detector and keeping up with my detector and scoop in deeper water might be a hassle. Just trying to get some advice before I take the plunge to deeper water. Right now, I'm just wading, but intend to go deeper this summer.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[Fongu:
I recently acquired a small travel scoop, which I believe will be ideal. The first section is 17” long from bottom of basket to end of 3/4 inch diameter shaft. The second snap in section extends the length to 32” so you do not have to bend down for use on dry or wet sand at the beach.
Each section comes an 8” long black cushion for grip.
What I really like about this scoop is that it works by pulling toward you – which is especially important when diving.
Also, it can easily used like a tomahawk, if necessary, for protection,
It should cost around $175 new plus shipping.
This is a heavy duty scoop, which can be used in wet sand, being all stainless steel construction including the ½ wire grid (for faster sifting of dry sand). It has a five inch diameter basket, 7” long at bottom of basket, 5” long at top of basket. Struts are welded to the basket and first section to further reinforce it.
QUOTE=fongu;3826744]How about river mud where there isn't any sand to fan? Would a small scoop or digger be better? I want to work some deeper water and get a pi detector and keeping up with my detector and scoop in deeper water might be a hassle. Just trying to get some advice before I take the plunge to deeper water. Right now, I'm just wading, but intend to go deeper this summer.[/QUOTE]

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It all depends on what the bottom is like. If there is little sand with coral below having pocket and holes, the scoop is almost worthless. If the sand is deep, you will clearly out hunt him. I hunted once at Jupiter beach in FL. There had been a lot of erosion at the time and the coral was exposed in many places and where there was sand the coral was just a few inches down. I wasted a huge amount of time trying to use my "NEW" scoop. I had many hits and was not able to recover one of them. The person who took me there used an underwater scooter to blow the sand out of the holes and pockets. He walked away with a couple bucks in change (he "said" he didn't find any gold) and I ended up with a few pennies that I got in the dry sand. I was rather frustrated and ill-prepared to hunt the location.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He is fanning the bottom with his hands which is why he has the googles. A lot of people in south florida hunt using this process....

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

I have out shot every other TH'er ive hunted with down there that fans in soft sand areas
it takes them to long to find the targets - i get stuff on first or second scoop - even the deep stuff (have one of the biggest baskets they make)
these were both in super soft sand on a slant (after first scoop full started to fill back in quick) in about chin deep water - it took 2 deep scoops to retrieve - someone fanning - would have taken some time
DSC00057.JPG
I wear a mask and when waters clear i can see fanners going up and down multiple times for one target - watch some of the youtube vids - guys fan and check a dozen times before they get item - wasted time - less finds
if place youre going to in Carrib. has hard bottom or dead reef - then a scoop is no good
I wear a mask and fan with my boot rapidly check once -drop down and I usually get the target
fanned%gold.jpg BVGARI.jpg
this area had like 2 inches of sand covering it - few fans with dive boot and saw gold
- now and then I'll have to drop and give a little hand fan
specially if dead reef area has nooks and crannies - good to carry a dive knife - screwdriver or needle nose plyers to retrieve from cracks - older stuff gets wedged in there pretty good -example - this ring was wedged in with coral sand and shell pieces
20G0141.jpg
you have no mask and try to scoop in an area like this - you'll never get it - or it will take some time
this one was in the reef in a small pocket filled with sand - with out a mask - you would never have gotten this one
CORALRING.jpg
even if youre not comfortable wearing mask all the time - wear them on your head and pull them downwhen you need to take a peek
will send you some articles i wrote - might help you - might inspire you
Good Luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread