found some ice yesterday

ctbob

Mar 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WP_20140129_003.jpg but not much else.

some more this morning

I tried a spot I don't normally go to yesterday, and from all the holes, it looked like someone already beat me to the good stuff. The water looks a little too cold for clamming, but I'll be out there somewhere this afternoon looking for gold in the wet sand.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey, bob, great pics...I may see you out there this afternoon..if it warms to at least 29* as predicted.

Lorraine

OP
OP
C

ctbob

Mar 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Lorraine, I'm thinking of heading to Gulf Beach if you're in the area.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CCCCccccc-ooooooo-lllll-dddddd!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

flatbutton

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2013
Eastern N.C.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Tesoro Sand Shark,Nautilus DMC 1, Garrett Grand Master Hunter,Garrett Master Hunter 5 , Whites Coinmaster 5000/D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too stinking cold for me. My son was thrilled that they closed campus yesterday because Tallahassee got some frost. Man I'm not looking forward to going north.

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll try to never complain that I'm cold in Florida again!
Originally from NY so I remember what colds like.
Also lived in Marblehead MA for 7 years and that was colder but all the lobsters I was pulling out from the mouth of the harbor made it all worth it.
Then again some of those -7 degree mornings weren't fun at all, Lobsters or not!

CSMPEREZ

Sep 9, 2012
St. Pete, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 and II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I have to know what in the world you guys and girls wear to hunt in those waters????? Ray

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
OK, I have to know what in the world you guys and girls wear to hunt in those waters????? Ray

Hi Ray,

I hunt only on the sand, and up to calf -deep in the ice-water during the winter, so my get -up is much simpler than of those who brave the far out ice -cold waves.

I need only 2 layers ( pairs) of gloves with hand warmers; triple layer of Turtle -neck jerseys; triple layer of socks, knitted hat with ear flaps, ( which I turn up -end so that I can hear more clearly through the head phones) ,and knee- high rubber boots. Wearing this garb, I can last about 3 hrs. in 20-30* temps....the healthy, invigorating, clear, crisp air intake is great!

Got it down to a system so that I am up and out the door within minutes:laughing7:

C'mon up and try the CT shoreline...you might like it :hello2:

Lorraine

p.s

OP
OP
C

ctbob

Mar 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When it's 20-30, I wear insulated coveralls under an oversized fleece hoody, and muck boots with a couple of pairs of socks. This limits me to wet sand and water under a foot. I have the bulky trapper gloves, but lately I've been wearing glove liners(two) under wool mittens with a cut so I can expose the fingers. Also if it's windy a neck gaiter is a must to cover exposed face when walking into wind. When the temps are in the thirties, and there's a good moon tide, it's time to ditch the coveralls and bring out the waders and trapper gloves, but I can't take more than an hour of this in a couple of feet of water.
If there's no wind, and you dress for it, as Lorraine says, it can really be nice out there.

fsa46

Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites DFPI, 2 @ Excalibur II, 2 @ Sovereign GT w/ 10" & 8" Tornado coils, 2@ 10x12 SEF coils all on their own rods, Whites MXT Pro , 2@ Garrett Pro Pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your pain Bob, although I've been doing OK in the H2o.

fsa46

Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites DFPI, 2 @ Excalibur II, 2 @ Sovereign GT w/ 10" & 8" Tornado coils, 2@ 10x12 SEF coils all on their own rods, Whites MXT Pro , 2@ Garrett Pro Pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, bob, great pics...I may see you out there this afternoon..if it warms to at least 29* as predicted.

Lorraine

I have no doubt you'll be looking for treasure somewhere Lorraine. Local weather predicting mild temps and possibly hitting 40* in your neck of the woods, ( or should I say shore ). "Good Luck" :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
C

ctbob

Mar 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I'm heading to the gulf coast of florida this morning to visit my brother for a week. He says it's going to be in the eighties all week. Boy that'll be a shock.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Well I'm heading to the gulf coast of florida this morning to visit my brother for a week. He says it's going to be in the eighties all week. Boy that'll be a shock.

I wish you a wonderful week, Bob; say "Hi" to "my other brother" from Hank and me.:hello:

p.s. was at Walnut yesterday; looked as if I were at the North Pole..snow and ice covering the entire low tide mud, but the sinkers were in abundance ..as usual.

Lorraine

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Now chop that ice up and throw it in the cooler. Always put the beverage in first. Click the tv on and lets get some superbowl action. Yea boyyyy

CSMPEREZ

Sep 9, 2012
St. Pete, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 and II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the cold weather lesson LO! You guys are brave!! Ray

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Excal II, Fisher 1280X, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes me never want to leave the 85 degree year round weather here in Guam. I feel your pain though, grew up in the midwest.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread