Home made excal upgrades

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Home made straight shaft with nut, 4"PVC arm cuff, and pin point modification. It just doesn't sit well with me to spend so much for an over priced pipe no mater what color you paint it, what logo you put on it, ect.! In the end it's still a pipe that cost's a fraction of the buying price of some out there for sale. Cut here, drill there yada, yada, yada! Tested and works great.

image-1437934549.jpg

image-2491609879.jpg

Attachments

• image-3228001919.jpg
    image-3228001919.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 135
Upvote 0

nutsdad

Sep 27, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II ,Ace 350, garrett pro pointer, AT Pro homemade sand scoop,RTG6 scoop with stainless tip
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4" black PVC arm cuff? Looks great I feel the same about spending money on things I can make. Great pics

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks good buddy, you did a great job....Love that PP mode, a killer setup, Garrett phones?

Just a word of warning to all with metal shafts, recently I discovered away to measure the detecting field of the coil of a detector. And I am not saying the field you hear thru the headphones or speaker. The field when you turn the detector on and the field is there, no adjusting of the controls change it. This field does not change, at any point while adjust. It's on, or it is off. What I also have discovered, if your running a big coil like the SEF's or the WOT, that field is picking up the shaft if it is metal, and is affecting it's depth. (Just like hitting the saltwater with the xcal, the detector depth is affected by the saltwater) The stock coils seem to be just out of reach, so if your swinging a big coil you may want to consider a carbon fiber shaft. From a quick check the field of the WOT is over 30 inchs away, and that is a quick WOW, not taking the time to test further, while working on a xcal with the WOT. Just something to consider when thinking of changing to a bigger coil.

OP
OP
lost items recovery

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks good buddy, you did a great job....Love that PP mode, a killer setup, Garrett phones? Just a word of warning to all with metal shafts, recently I discovered away to measure the detecting field of the coil of a detector. And I am not saying the field you hear thru the headphones or speaker. The field when you turn the detector on and the field is there, no adjusting of the controls change it. This field does not change, at any point while adjust. It's on, or it is off. What I also have discovered, if your running a big coil like the SEF's or the WOT, that field is picking up the shaft if it is metal, and is affecting it's depth. (Just like hitting the saltwater with the xcal, the detector depth is affected by the saltwater) The stock coils seem to be just out of reach, so if your swinging a big coil you may want to consider a carbon fiber shaft. From a quick check the field of the WOT is over 30 inchs away, and that is a quick WOW, not taking the time to test further, while working on a xcal with the WOT. Just something to consider when thinking of changing to a bigger coil.

Thank you OBN!
Yes AT Pro phones done prior to my purchase, what is your input on them? Good or bad?
Thanks to you on the PP mod it looks and works great! Also thanks on the info on the WOT as it will be my intention.
Thank you for all the times you've helped me out!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
How are they with the Excalibur? I do think they are as good if not better then the Koss..

And your welcome, closing shop tonight at 12:oo am, till next Dec...Have to do a lot of research and testing...and digging treasure hopefully while doing.

Be Safe SIr LIR

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something else worth mentioning on the larger coil swap....if you're going to be swinging that larger coil in the water you're going to be creating a lot more pressure on the lower shaft. Without additional support this extra pressure will eventually eat away your lower shaft where it enters the upper shaft, it already cost me one lower shaft before I even realized it was happening. :thumbsup:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the coil field is affected Joe, but someone told me it may only create BLANK areas in you field. They used to use SS coil bolts. Everything is being swung in unison unlike getting near your scoop or the salt water movement which creates a target response causing coil shut down and reduced depth. I could be wrong AGAIN..... im not the brightest bear in the woods when it comes to electronics.

Dew

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I know the coil field is affected Joe, but someone told me it may only create BLANK areas in you field. They used to use SS coil bolts. Everything is being swung in unison unlike getting near your scoop or the salt water movement which creates a target response causing coil shut down and reduced depth. I could be wrong AGAIN..... im not the brightest bear in the woods when it comes to electronics.

We are going to find out once all my work is finished and gone. A few test I will be doing is to see how a large, non motion, metal object affects the field. And A real big test is to see how battery voltage affects the field, is more better, bigger field and less, the transmit field shrinks. Going from 15.7 volts down to when the Excalibur gives the battery alert.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can say is that I'm very happy with the performance of the 12 x 15 SEF both in and out of the water, "as long as things are fairly calm out there and I can keep it running smoothly." The deeper I sink this coil it is true that I begin to lose some depth, but when compared to the 8" coil the depth and sensitivity are pretty equal so at this point it's all about additional coverage to me. (No longer go out there worrying about tiny chains and tiny earring backs.) When conditions are right I use mine in 2-4 feet of saltwater with no problems, "as long as things aren't getting stirred up too much", which isn't very often on this coast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread