First time hunting at the beach

charger500

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2013
NE TN
Detector(s) used
GoldBug Pro DP
I've had my GoldBug Pro a year or so now and haven't done much but hunt on my parents 80+ acre farm that's been in the family forever. Haven't found anything spectacular but fun nonetheless!

I took my MD to the beach last year and never even used it because the Bluefish were biting too well! but this year i'm going to make it a point to balance my fishing and metal detecting at Emerald Isle, NC this spring.

I need to get some headphones and based on what i've read here i'll probably just get the original gray ghosts-- I know these are a good choice in general but are they a good choice for the GBPro?
I also plan to get a good sand scoop. Are there any good recommendations on that? Any good-value budget ones that will be just fine for someone who only will hunt saltwater 2 times a year? Anyone have a used one for sale or a DIY option?

I've also already ordered "Gold Beneath the Waves: Treasure Hunting the Surf and Sand" Thanks Sir Gala Clad!

Any tips on what settings to use (I'm still learning this this as well).
Thanks for the info! - Paul

Upvote 0

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you stick to the dry sand with the GoldBug Pro you should do well (especially fine gold jewelry - even gold chains) which it is sensitive to.

Stay away from wet sand and the water at salt water beaches. Your detector will see return from the conductive salt water and mineralization as targets
and drive your detector nuts (false alarms).

That said, unless you love to explore or have the endurance of Lawrence of Arabia, hunt where people gather (the older and richer the better) and have fun, such as towel lines, where there is shade, large driftwood to rest against/lay towels.
As a rule of thumb, dig everything as soft sand is easy to dig.
Just dump the contents of your scoop on the ground if it does not sift well and gently kick
a small portion of sand away from the pile to isolate and find the target.

If you find yourself digging deep, more than two feet, it is most likely trash - aluminum can on end, pipe, cable, etcetera,etcetera.
and it is best to move on to save yourself from exhaustion. Your deciscion, should depend upon where you are detecting as there is hope that it could be a rolex, coin cache, something of real value.

If you find yourself a place with a lot of sinkers, fish hooks, rod holders, etc - you have probably found a favorite fishing hole of the locals.
If tide is right and blue fish are biting, I would be fishing as that is where the treasure is at that time (always keep probability and opportunity on your side).
There are times, when you can do better and find more by eyeballing than using your detector.
That is fine with me, even if it is gathering aluminum cans and bottles, or lead sinkers - it all adds up.

Now if my dog would only find some whale puke, instead of barking at feral hippies, I would have it made!

Last edited:

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you stick to the dry sand with the GoldBug Pro you should do well (especially fine gold jewelry - even gold chains) which it is sensitive to.

Stay away from wet sand and the water at salt water beaches. Your detector will see return from the conductive salt water and mineralization as targets
and drive your detector nuts (false alarms).

That said, unless you love to explore or have the endurance of Lawrence of Arabia, hunt where people gather (the older and richer the better) and have fun, such as towel lines, where there is shade, large driftwood to rest against/lay towels.
As a rule of thumb, dig everything as soft sand is easy to dig.
Just dump the contents of your scoop on the ground if it does not sift well and gently kick
a small portion of sand away from the pile to isolate and find the target.

If you find yourself digging deep, more than two feet, it is most likely trash - aluminum can on end, pipe, cable, etcetera,etcetera.
and it is best to move on to save yourself from exhaustion. Your deciscion, should depend upon where you are detecting as there is hope that it could be a rolex, coin cache, something of real value.

If you find yourself a place with a lot of sinkers, fish hooks, rod holders, etc - you have probably found a favorite fishing hole of the locals.
If tide is right and blue fish are biting, I would be fishing as that is where the treasure is at that time (always keep probability and opportunity on your side).
There are times, when you can do better and find more by eyeballing than using your detector.
That is fine with me, even if it is gathering aluminum cans and bottles, or lead sinkers - it all adds up.

Now if my dog would only find some whale puke, instead of barking at feral hippies, I would have it made!
very good post - i like it.
if he reads that book, he will see that his goldbug heater will not cut the mustard unless like u said, he stays in the dry zone.

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hand Held Scoops at Kellyco Metal Detectors
I use the 16 in Beachmaster for the dry fluff. If only 2 times a year that would be what I would get. Works well and sifts dry fluff quickly. No real sense for for a high dollar wet sand scoop. I have an RTG for the wet. Other than that I think your questions have been answered... Goot Luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions