davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
like 3 or 4 ft out of a beach shoreline. Should you detect the area directly under or along the cut, or fan out further to the waters edge?

are the heavy goodies likely to travel very far? or do they just dig deeper with each wave?

Upvote 0

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the cut as far out as you can go.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did that today and got some wondrous aluminum and a penny and quarter.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
From my experience, the heaviest of targets won't be swept down the beach face, but will be deposited at the base (within a coil sweep). To put it in context with modern clad, quarters will be found at the base where as zincolns will be further down the beach face. Of course, if you are pressed for time, then a thorough zig-zag search pattern up and down the beach face will yield the most. However, if you are on a quick strike, a walk down the cut and back will yield the heavies.

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do a lil zig zag til I find the sweet spot...

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Depends on the cut ... but generally the heavies stay close to the cut. However the BEST times are when you find the pockets. These can be anywhere from 10' to 50' away and most definitely worth searching for!

On the last occasion my buddy and I spent three days emptying out two adjacent pockets about 20' away from a huge cut. The cut itself had nothing.

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hence the need for the zig zag to find the spot...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My daughter found a pocket from a corps of engineers "screen dump" and we pulled out a zillion sinkers, a quarter mile of fishing line w swivels three eight reale coins (no dates) some misc brass stuff and she found a half escudo in the same hole.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is where the local guy certainly has the advantage. Finding a cut or washout or runnel or hole at a badly sanded in beach may not net you anything but sunglasses, pull tabs, can slaw, and a few coins...."a lot of lighter crap." On the other hand, find these same features that present hard/firm bottoms and you just night discover a true honey hole. I see pictures posted all the time showing really nice cuts, cuts that are three foot deep in five feet of very soft sand - still got two feet to go before the firmer/harder layers can even be reached, the poster complaining that he didn't find a darn thing in that awesome cut. Gold is very dense and it's just going to keep right on sinking until it hits a layer that is dense enough to support it. :thumbsup:

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just had to post this delicious cut from a few years back. Nothing special at the big cut .. but... at the scallops marked I picked up 10 rings over a weekend..8 of which were silver. No gold but still a lot of fun.

SealBeachCut.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread