Upvote 0

kleinerschmitter

Aug 21, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Excalibur II, Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Both detectors will do just fine for what you plan on using them for. Technically, I'm not the best person to give you advice since I do not own both, I only own an Excal II but I'll give you my impressions. Excal II costs more, if you use your machine a crazy amount the cost eventually might even out by how much you'll save in battery money but right off the bat, the Excal II is >$300 more. Having said that, I absolutely love my Excal, I bought it from a well known member on this site and it has worked flawlessly for me and I love how I can just go out and use it, I don't go out enough to truly be one with my machine, but the Excal II is easy to use, from what I've heard though, the CZ-21 is just as user friendly. If you want to purchase a still in great condition CZ-20, you can purchase 2 of them for the price you would spend on a used Excal II.

To be perfectly honest, although some may disagree, I got the general impression back when I did all my research that the biggest difference between the 2 is the price tag. Both run 2 frequencies or greater, both are great machines down to around 12 inches and transition flawlessly from dry to wet to underwater use. You can set a discrimination on either, can control your sensitivity, and if you so desire you can eliminate trash with either one. You'll find members here who swear by the Excal II and you'll find others who swear by the CZ-21, the honest answer is, if you put your coil over a gold ring while you're holding either one, you're most likely coming home with a gold ring.

OP
OP
Heavy32

Heavy32

Aug 10, 2010
SETX
Detector(s) used
excalibur II, x-terra 30
Thanks for the information Schmitter.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You cant go wrong with either one...they are very close in performance.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm a Excalibur man, but own and use the CZ20 also, 8 n 10....Like KS and LD said, either is a fine choice. The CZ is built like a tank...if you plan on using it a lot, you may want to think CZ. One thing about CZ21's some are hot and some are extremely hot. Excalibur II's will be very close in performance to each other. And give you a little more information on the targets then the CZ...What you find will be site dependent, either will do well if it's there. Good Luck...

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've used both a lot. In freshwater they are both top notch machines. In saltwater, especially turbulent saltwater, I'd give the Excal the definite edge. In freshwater environments I'd go with the 10" coils, in the saltwater environment, especially when water hunting, I'd go with the 8" coils unless conditions were extremely calm with little to no current.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a hard time deciding which one to use myself.

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had both, they both are excellent machine. Really prefer excel but for they are too delicate for me . Advantage to the CZ because they are more durable.

OP
OP
Heavy32

Heavy32

Aug 10, 2010
SETX
Detector(s) used
excalibur II, x-terra 30
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Think I'm leaning closer and closer to the CZ side...(I think... lol...) Would it be worth the money saved to look for a good used CZ-20, or is the 21 worth the extra $$$... From what I have read they both work with 5 & 15khz.. is that right? Thanks again!

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some members of this forum have done well buying used. I prefer the piece of mind of having a warranty. I would be extremely upset if I bought used and found out 2weeks later it didn't work. One of the sponsors gave me a good deal last year

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Think I'm leaning closer and closer to the CZ side...(I think... lol...) Would it be worth the money saved to look for a good used CZ-20, or is the 21 worth the extra $$$... From what I have read they both work with 5 & 15khz.. is that right? Thanks again!
New or used, the machine will pay for itself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread