Getting my first sand scoop...handheld or long handle?

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looking at something along the RTG line and want to keep it under $100 bucks. I will only be visiting beach sites a few times a year (maybe half a dozen) and was wondering if a handheld will do just fine for a few hours, 4-5 days at the beach. Are the long handle models really that much more efficient and easy to use than a handheld...even for casual use?

Thanks for your opinions.

Upvote 0

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
Hi Clay Slayer,

Below is the scoop I use for dry sand, wet sand, and in the water to about one foot deep. Any deeper then one foot of water you will want a step-on scoop.
And it's only $59.95 and it is 304 Stainless Steel. Love it!!

005-244.jpg
This is a "pull to me" beach and shallow water scoop made with 18 gauge #304 S/S with 1/2” x 1/2” S/S welded wire, 4 3/4” O.D., and has a 28” S/S handle with a foam grip.

R.Danneskjold

Jun 23, 2013
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
-
Hi Clay Slayer,

Below is the scoop I use for dry sand, wet sand, and in the water to about one foot deep. Any deeper then one foot of water you will want a step-on scoop.
And it's only $59.95 and it is 304 Stainless Steel. Love it!!

View attachment 948397
This is a "pull to me" beach and shallow water scoop made with 18 gauge #304 S/S with 1/2” x 1/2” S/S welded wire, 4 3/4” O.D., and has a 28” S/S handle with a foam grip.

Thats the first scoop I had.....loved it.....

shepcal

Mar 19, 2003
Oakhurst,CA
Detector(s) used
modded 4500, CTX30-30, Gold Monster1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a Royal scoop, which is cool in a way, that's it's both (handle screws on); but it is not stainless. I didn't think I'd use it that much in salt. Heck, bought it a year ago and still haven't used it. :-(

Across

Greenie
Mar 28, 2012
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
BH Discovery 3300 - We all started somewhere!
Minelab Excalibur II 800
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re:

Clay Slayer,

I would suggest using the RTG Pro Aluminum 6" travel water scoop. If you have the money they average right around $150 to $160. The aluminum is lightweight and easy to hold. It can break down for an easier time traveling. It is also strong enough to handle the stepping action that many other scoops can't handle.

21TlZ+-CrcL (1).jpg

I have found that after a few hours on the beach my back gets really wore out if I am constantly bending over. Even on dry sand I find it much easier to step on the scoop. My usual method after locating a target in the dry or wet sand (not in the surf) is as follows:

1) Quickly Check for an area around it with no targets
2) Scoop by using my foot for my leverage
3) Move the scoop away and recheck the hole.
If there is no sound, I shake the scoop until the sand comes out
If the target is still in the dirt, I dump the sand into the "target free" spot and check that sand. This saves me from shaking out every single scoop. I have found many spots on dry sand where pocket spills have happened with several targets in one spot.

Here is the link to the RTG scoop on Amazon: Amazon Link

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
721stainlesswaterbig.jpg
Reillys Treasured Gold - RTG Royal Stainless Water Scoop series

RTG LIGHTWEIGHT STAINLESS WATER SCOOP (#R790)- This scoop weighs just a little more than 3 pounds. The bucket is made of 16 gauge non magnetic stainless steel with 5/8" holes punched through-out the bucket. The 7/8" stainless steel handle has a rubber grip for comfort. The scoop bucket is 7" long by 5" in diameter. There is a round stainless tubing welded on the back of the bucket to the handle for strength and for a foot kicker. Overall length of this scoop is about 45" long. This scoop is made for shallow water hunting or sand beach hunting.
Good luck and HH!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RTG pro mini (smaller one in photo) is $99 and very lightweight and maneuverable. I use it 95% of the time wet/ dry sand hunting. The larger Stainless Steel tipped is quite harder to drag around and actually dig with. I would buy the travel version, I modified mine into a travel version to be able to pack it in suitcase.

Attachments

• image-2857783499.jpg
    image-2857783499.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
OP
OP
Clay Slayer

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the input...looks like I'll definitely be going with long handle model rather than a handheld.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have any back trouble, use the long handle. Even if you don't have back trouble, digging lots of targets will wear you out. I think you made the best decision, clay slayer. good luck & happy hunting.

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both a long handle scoop and a hand scoop. Ever since I bought the long handled scoop the thought of using the hand scoop has never crossed my mind. I only use it for a loaner when a friend wants to go hunting with me.

I started with the hand scoop. Then I bought a RTG supreme beach scoop #702. It can be used as a long handled scoop or a hand scoop. It's aluminum and its a pull to you type of scoop. I bought it for versatility and cheap price. Well, I never used it as a hand scoop.
The basket worked well for sifting quickly through sand but I didn't really like the "pull to you" type. I find it cumbersome to dig with and not very efficient.
Then I bought the RTG Beach Master #700. But the one I got is stainless steel. You can call and order them in SS for a little extra. I got mine used from someone on the forum for $99. It is a little heavier than the aluminum one but it makes up the difference by being able to step on the back of it to dig. The stainless won't corrode or wear out or break like aluminum.
So it will last me forever.

Which reminds me of a saying I once heard sometime after I wasted a bit of money on all that stuff that goes something like this:
"In the long run, it's cheaper to buy the right thing the first time.

So long story short, get a good stainless steel long handled scoop.

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
Hey to all the guys that responded to this post about scoops. Clay Slayer said he only will visit the beach a few times per year, several hours per day. He didn't say that he would be surf hunting and he wanted to keep the price under $100. So I would venture to guess that most, if not all of Clay Slayer's beach time will be in dry sand or by the edge of the high tide mark.

By the scoops that are being recommended, you would think that Clay Slayer is a full on surf hunter. RTG scoops have nothing on a STAVRscoop. Metal cans with holes in it does not drain the sand out or dig like a wide body mesh stamped STAVRscoop style scoop .

For dry sand you are wasting a lot of valuable hunting time with a long handled step-on style scoop. Most coins and jewelry are only one to two quick scoops down and your on your way to the next target.
You don't want a can style scoop with holes drilled into it for dry sand. The sand drains to slow and you need to shake it quite a bit. With a stainless mesh style scoop, no need to even shake the scoop in dry sand, the sand just flows out by itself, grab your target out of there scoop and move on.

OP
OP
Clay Slayer

Clay Slayer

Jan 4, 2011
Cajun Country
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800,
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SoCal,

Actually, I'm getting the exact model you originally suggested because I knew I would be in mostly dry sand and the wire mesh would filter out much faster than drilled holes...and the price was right. I'll be ordering it today and the price, including shipping, still comes in under $100 bucks. Thanks everyone for the enthusiastic replies. :icon_thumright:

Have a good one!

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
Great choice Clay Slayer ... I forgot to mention that it weighs less then two pounds at 1LB-15OZ, it has a longer handle then most swing type scoops, so not much bending down, and you can carry it and swing it all day with no problems.

Enjoy your beach hunts and post lot of pictures of your finds.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't even need a scoop in dry sand...I can move the sand side to side with my foot and find the target faster than someone with a scoop.

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't even need a scoop in dry sand...I can move the sand side to side with my foot and find the target faster than someone with a scoop.

I usually have my dog sniff out the coins and jewelry and bring them to me, but she's had a cold the past few days.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck dry sand hunting with your Stavr!

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually have my dog sniff out the coins and jewelry and bring them to me, but she's had a cold the past few days.
In that case you don't even need a detector. :laughing7:

Across

Greenie
Mar 28, 2012
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
BH Discovery 3300 - We all started somewhere!
Minelab Excalibur II 800
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
Hey to all the guys that responded to this post about scoops. Clay Slayer said he only will visit the beach a few times per year, several hours per day. He didn't say that he would be surf hunting and he wanted to keep the price under $100. So I would venture to guess that most, if not all of Clay Slayer's beach time will be in dry sand or by the edge of the high tide mark.

By the scoops that are being recommended, you would think that Clay Slayer is a full on surf hunter. RTG scoops have nothing on a STAVRscoop. Metal cans with holes in it does not drain the sand out or dig like a wide body mesh stamped STAVRscoop style scoop .

For dry sand you are wasting a lot of valuable hunting time with a long handled step-on style scoop. Most coins and jewelry are only one to two quick scoops down and your on your way to the next target.
You don't want a can style scoop with holes drilled into it for dry sand. The sand drains to slow and you need to shake it quite a bit. With a stainless mesh style scoop, no need to even shake the scoop in dry sand, the sand just flows out by itself, grab your target out of there scoop and move on.

SoCalBeachScanner,

I missed the part in his first post where he said under $100. I suggested the RTG style because he specifically said something along the lines of RTG. As for his use for it, I wasn't sure if he wanted dry, wet, or surf. In any case I really enjoy using my step on scoop in the dry sand. I find that pull to you style scoops are awkward and clumsy feeling when the target is somewhat deep. It just seems so much more natural to step on the back end of the scoop.

I do agree that it takes forever to try and sift the sand out of the scoop. The solution I have found for this is to just check for an area next to it and dump the sand out. This lets me go through the basket much quicker then even the pull to you style scoop.

The great thing about this hobby is that everyone has their own way of doing things! I have come to realize after a few years of reading here that people really do have their own unique way of getting their coil out there. The way I see it, as long as it works for you and there is gold in the scoop.. more power to you! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions