A sand-pumping project in Cape Canaveral will start up again.

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
http://www.floridatoday.com/article...urishment-project-ready-resume?nclick_check=1

A sand-pumping project in Cape Canaveral, on hold for more than two weeks, is expected to resume Sunday or Monday.Brevard County officials say the project should still be able to finish before sea turtle nesting halts beach renourishment.
The project was held up when the dredge had a problem with its propeller, said Mike McGarry, Brevard County’s beach renourishment coordinator.
The dredge, named the Liberty Island — a 315-foot long, 16,566 horsepower vessel — had to be taken to a shipyard in Tampa for repairs.

Upvote 0

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
turtle nesting season begins in marsh.......less than one week!!!! and the turtles don't actually wait til march 1st before coming ashore so there are likely some nests already in place! will be interesting to see how long it takes the county to finish the renourishment and to see if the turtle preservation society or other citizens start to complain and get the project halted!!!!
seems to me the project has been un-operational for about a month. if I remember correctly they were supposed to be finished by februrary.

chuck.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
turtle nesting season begins in marsh.......less than one week!!!! and the turtles don't actually wait til march 1st before coming ashore so there are likely some nests already in place! will be interesting to see how long it takes the county to finish the renourishment and to see if the turtle preservation society or other citizens start to complain and get the project halted!!!!
seems to me the project has been un-operational for about a month. if I remember correctly they were supposed to be finished by februrary.

chuck.
Article says nesting season starts May 1st...they will lie to get their projects completed.

OP
OP
T

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
They are now pumping sand on the beach, it looks as if they are going to do a bit south of Shepard Park for starters maybe further south, loads of heavy equipment working all over the place, they are piling the sand up into big mounds that are 8 - 10 feet tall, my guess is they will be working around the clock to make up for this lost month, a large front end loader was bringing dumpsters down to build a wall to keep people out and they aren't even close, I didn't try to get into their job site but a guy in a screaming yellow vest stopped me maybe 500 feet from the wall of dumpsters and spare equipment.

Tek

OP
OP
T

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Shepard Park, the pipes were removed late yesterday and the beach is open for searching.

mtbiker

Aug 24, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & White's PI
Dredging Ft. Clinch Amelia Island. Was told it was to begin 3/1/14. MDing south of the pier. HH!!!!

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they are at the pier now!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread