First metal detector?

justajester

Feb 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey y'all, im a new resident to the beaches of south Texas, corpus Christi, and looking to get into metal detecting. I've been reading on this forum and a few others, trying to get some advice but it all seems a bit confusing. I was looking at a tesoro silver umax as my first detector probably but, im not sure how well it will work on the beaches here. I've read that if you are going after rings and jewelery you need a detector that will do well in wet sand and what not. I've also seen people detecting in the actual water. I'm not sure the tesoro is appropriate for either task but it seems some people are using it this way. What do you guys think? If not the tesoro, what detector would suit this purpose in a semi budget price range. I dont want to miss treasure but I also dont have a grand to spend. I'm thinking under 500 would be ideal. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a tesoro SANDSHARK... very easy to use...probably the simplest I have seen yet.

Great for a beginner...works vety nice..only drawbacks... gotta dig evertything as no discrim....and think it is lacking in the power department for depth.

I alos got the Fisher cz 21....grewat machine..belt mount the control box....then you can swing the stick all day and never get tired. Is very easy to use also.

Has discrim...I hunt it in ALL METAL...then when hit a target that am unsure of it is a quick turn of the knob and your in discrim mode and you instantly know if it is a rusty piece of metal. Saves a lot of time.

So with your budget the Tesoro SandShark is most likely your best choice especially if it is your first machine...so easy to use.

Was out with a guy with a AT PRO last week...worked good on one beach that was dry...but moved to another beach that was wet....became very noisy..this guy is a very experienced detectorist also.....just not meant for saltwater hunting...but is usable....but prolly only usable to a experienced detectorist who knows how to run the machine.

I have thE Fisher F75 also...is usable in saltwater beaches...but it is very noisy which will result in many missed targets.......almost unbearable with big coil..smaller coil in discrim mode --it is usable...but once again...not something a new detectorist wants to try and figure out.

However it is also a $1350 machine

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of great info here. You will do OK with any of those suggestions. Be sure and stay off the National Seashore area north of the Mansfield Cut, its illegal to detect there and your equipment will be confiscated. S Padre is ok.
Im a few hours NE of you, give me a call if I can answer any questions for you.

Wayne

Www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread