New to metal detecting, buying first machine for beach hunting, sovereign gt?

mcshaner2k

Mar 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone,

I'm looking into purchasing my first machine soon. I've been researching beach machines for quite some time, and now ready to buy. I have a few questions I have not seen covered too much, and hoping to get some feedback.

I'll only be hunting salt water beaches, and dry sand.. It seems that the GT is the king of the beach from what I gather, and the excal is great for water. I'm wondering why Minelab discontinued the Sovereign series detectors seeing they are so highly regarded, and what's out there to replace it?

My budget is $1000

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab discontinued them because sales fell to low....

Are you sure you will never go in the water? You can't beat the Sov GT for wet sand but it isn't waterproof and in the water is where we find most of our gold in the long run. I own a Sov GT myself and I love it, but if I could only have 1 detector for the beach I would choose my excals since they can hunt from dry sand to 200+ feet under water. I don't dive but I know if I took it up or if I wanted to go down 15 feet using snorkel detector still good..

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

OP
OP
M

mcshaner2k

Mar 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab discontinued them because sales fell to low....

Are you sure you will never go in the water? You can't beat the Sov GT for wet sand but it isn't waterproof and in the water is where we find most of our gold in the long run. I own a Sov GT myself and I love it, but if I could only have 1 detector for the beach I would choose my excals since they can hunt from dry sand to 200+ feet under water. I don't dive but I know if I took it up or if I wanted to go down 15 feet using snorkel detector still good..

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Ok, this was the answer I was looking for. Now if I can find a used Excal for under 1k:)

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch forums and EBay they come up almost daily for 6-$800.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The Excal is an awesome beach and shallow water machine that will work just about any place you take it!
I was able to pick one up on eBay in excellent condition for $900. It had a problem with the charger and charger adapter which are costly to replace at about $100! For balance and extended use, a straight shaft is recommended!
It came with an extra battery pod so, all in all, it was a good purchase and I love it!
Best of luck!

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree on the above posts. I've owned quite a few different detectors and finally got a excal!
After researching for a while I decided that I would wait until I found a older blue model excalibur 1000 and am glad I did. Stumbled across one for $900 and would not part with it or replace it with any other machine. Left the pi world to stop digging so much trash but if I want all metal mode I just flick the switch! It's true that they do pop up on eBay like clock work and if I could I buy all of them. Excal 1000 are awesome for all of the beach but as previously mentioned you have to make or buy a straight shaft or you'll look like a fiddler crab! Lol! good luck in which ever you choose Hope you get what you want.

OP
OP
M

mcshaner2k

Mar 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree on the above posts. I've owned quite a few different detectors and finally got a excal!
After researching for a while I decided that I would wait until I found a older blue model excalibur 1000 and am glad I did. Stumbled across one for $900 and would not part with it or replace it with any other machine. Left the pi world to stop digging so much trash but if I want all metal mode I just flick the switch! It's true that they do pop up on eBay like clock work and if I could I buy all of them. Excal 1000 are awesome for all of the beach but as previously mentioned you have to make or buy a straight shaft or you'll look like a fiddler crab! Lol! good luck in which ever you choose Hope you get what you want.

Thanks everyone for all your feedback!

How are the blue 1000's in comparison to the new version?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the blue 1000 better, but that may be because I have pinpoint mod and Grey Ghost headphones on it. The electronics are supposed to be the same, maybe it's just the color that makes it seem better. I see II's regularly with almost no use when someone purchased a water machine and discovered it wasn't for them.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are going to modify it ( remote pin point switch, improved headphones) anyway, I would think that the newer Excalibur ll 1000 would be a better choice
as it is more stable (added shielding).

Further, electronics deteriorate with time, even if not used - so the newer your detector the better.
Cable wire also crack and become unusable.

IIRC, an even older Excalibur, the one with Red Headphones is the one that had the best tones.

Thanks everyone for all your feedback!

How are the blue 1000's in comparison to the new version?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread