Beach Erosion Persistence Pays Off in Heavy 14k....

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
After being totally spent from two days of chasing storm beach erosion, I was up today for the 4:30AM low tide, and spent a couple hours swinging. The swell was way down this morning and I could finally get to the sweet spot of the slope for an hour until the tide and waves chased me out.

When I started finding lead sinkers, I scanned parallel to the water line and found another lead sinker. Then I got a hit on a target that was bouncing between 4-6 LED's out of the 13 LED's on the Signal Strength Indicator, and by the size of the target, I knew it wouldn't be more than 10" deep, so I started scooping. After about eight hard fast scoops down, the hole went silent. I rinsed the scoop in the water that collect in the hole I just dug, and clank, clank, clank. It was still dark, the ring felt very heavy, so it could only be one of three things; Platinum, Tungsten, or Gold. When it started getting light out, I went to put my dog in my vehicle and I checked out the ring.
Got my first Storm Erosion Chasing 14k Gold (10.21 grams)

Another first for me was scooping a fishing reel, and I got two reels this morning. I also found a bell with a mussel inside, a knife, and what appears to be a capacitor. Coins were few and far between down low on the slope. Even higher up on the slope where I was hitting coins the last two days within feet of each other were few and far between this morning. The whole beach changed drastically from the last two days, the cuts were gone.

There was a lot of sea creatures washed way up on the beach. The photo of the crab with eggs all over it's back was still barely alive, so I returned it to the water.

I think it's time to give my body a break from scooping deep whispers in the wet sand and work the easy scooping dry sand for a while :)

Thanks for Looking ... HH

SB1.JPG -- SB2.JPG -- SB3.jpg

SB4.JPG -- SB5.JPG -- SB6.jpg

SB7.jpg -- SB8.jpg -- SB9.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the GOLD! :occasion14:

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got well rewarded...but looks like you earned it...lotsa work.

CONGRATS AND GL

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Nice storm find. Nice pics. You the man for tryin to help the crab. We need more of that in today world. Congrats

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful chunk of 14k...congrats.

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
- After being totally spent from two days of chasing storm beach erosion, I was up today for the 4:30AM low tide, and spent a couple hours swinging. The swell was way down this morning and I could finally get to the sweet spot of the slope for an hour until the tide and waves chased me out. When I started finding lead sinkers, I scanned parallel to the water line and found another lead sinker. Then I got a hit on a target that was bouncing between 4-6 LED's out of the 13 LED's on the Signal Strength Indicator, and by the size of the target, I knew it wouldn't be more than 10" deep, so I started scooping. After about eight hard fast scoops down, the hole went silent. I rinsed the scoop in the water that collect in the hole I just dug, and clank, clank, clank. It was still dark, the ring felt very heavy, so it could only be one of three things; Platinum, Tungsten, or Gold. When it started getting light out, I went to put my dog in my vehicle and I checked out the ring. Got my first Storm Erosion Chasing 14k Gold (10.21 grams) Another first for me was scooping a fishing reel, and I got two reels this morning. I also found a bell with a mussel inside, a knife, and what appears to be a capacitor. Coins were few and far between down low on the slope. Even higher up on the slope where I was hitting coins the last two days within feet of each other were few and far between this morning. The whole beach changed drastically from the last two days, the cuts were gone. There was a lot of sea creatures washed way up on the beach. The photo of the crab with eggs all over it's back was still barely alive, so I returned it to the water. I think it's time to give my body a break from scooping deep whispers in the wet sand and work the easy scooping dry sand for a while :) Thanks for Looking ... HH View attachment 953996 -- View attachment 953997 -- View attachment 953998 View attachment 953999 -- View attachment 954000 -- View attachment 954001 View attachment 954002 -- View attachment 954003 -- View attachment 954004

Great finds. I see a lot of baby turtles - new hatchlings making their way to the water. I never touch them, but I do stand very close by until they make it close enough for a wave to catch them, and take them out to sea. The seagulls pick them up for an easy meal. I have had 20+ birds flying around me at one time standing next to one of those little guys, and also took a wad of bird doo a few times.
We need some good erosion here in Florida on the east coast like yall got. Then the goodies will SEA the light of day.

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congratulations!

Congrats on the GOLD! :occasion14:

You got well rewarded...but looks like you earned it...lotsa work.

CONGRATS AND GL

Nice storm find. Nice pics. You the man for tryin to help the crab. We need more of that in today world. Congrats

Beautiful chunk of 14k...congrats.

Wow good lookin ring.

Thank You for all your comments guys ... MD can be a lot of work

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
So-CA, you can't argue with a ring that size, even if in a "scattered pattern". Hard to believe there wasn't more So. CA spots after that southern-swell/seas event, that didn't pan out to be major pockets of targets all-concentrated. I heard of one guy down there who got into a pocket of 300-ish coins, in an area no bigger than a tennis court.

Mother nature's post-storm re-adjustment of her slopes is still going on though, so keep us updated. thanx!

forgetaboudit

Feb 15, 2014
Milwaukee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I found a knife in the water I'd immediately think "murder weapon". But I read a lot of crime novels...

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Oh my goodness!!! SCBS , I can't keep up with your gold finds postings.....you are on a high roll! :notworthy: Keep those treasures comin'! Lorraine

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread