Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
Yesterday, I received my new Indiana Scoop and used it today for the first time. Those super deep targets in the watery wet sand don't have a chance to allude me anymore.

The sand slides out of the scoop super fast when you are in the wet sand. And when I'm in the water the sand flows out through the stainless laser cut honeycomb pattern faster than my stainless mesh swing scoop. Total weight with the fiberglass handle is only 3-lbs/9oz. Totally Awesome Scoop!

It was made and shipped from Europe/Latvia and only took 11-days from date of order.

P1040791.JPG -- P1040794.JPG -- P1040793.JPG -- P1040798.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes they changed the design after I raised hell with them and told them how big a piece of junk it was. Even the new design will bend. Trust me in this one. It's physics not my opinion. If you think this is European engineering at its finest you know nothing about engineering. The welds are crappy stick welds that have to be ground off to look decent. But that wasn't the failure. The problem is top to body ratio. Not digging just wouldn't toot your horn too hard about how much better it is than all the others. This is European engineering at its finest.

Get a grip Fletch88, if you would have read this whole thread, you would have noticed that I mentioned European quality jokingly because of what was said in Post #13 in this thread. Nice picture of the bike :)

How about the quality of these Stealth 720i Scoops

stealth 720i.jpg -- 720i2.jpg -- 720i1.jpg

Last edited:

TallTom

Mar 3, 2012
So. Calif.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact, Makro Racer, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
>> How about the quality of this Stealth 720i Scoop

Well, yeah, if you're going to use it to stop a runaway school bus,
you might find that it gets damaged a little bit. :laughing7:

Chuck-N-Detroit

Oct 18, 2010
Warren, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, Equinox and Deus
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Get a grip Fletch88, if you would have read this whole thread, you would have noticed that I mentioned European quality jokingly because of what was said in Post #13 in this thread. Nice picture of the bike :) How about the quality of these Stealth 720i Scoops View attachment 956894 -- View attachment 957078 -- View attachment 957079

A few thoughts: Was this crow bar replaced at no cost under the lifetime warranty? Does the new improved 720i design have any problems?

I see comments over and over talking about many features of older designs. When we work hard to lighten the 720i it is only fair to compare products with todays design, not a 1 or 2 year old version. The 720i tube is amazing and with the Carbon Fiber handle no design can compare.

I also see comments about wobbly mounts on handles. This is either a complete lie or from someone who has not used the Sunspot U-Bolt mount.

Thanks,
Chuck

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Fletch, The scoop in your pic is one of their poor designs that bends. The new indiana gold that SoCal has, is the one that has a better constructed weld design. The way the steel stems are welded to the handle insert is more solid than your scoop.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fletch, The scoop in your pic is one of their poor designs that bends. The new indiana gold that SoCal has, is the one that has a better constructed weld design. The way the steel stems are welded to the handle insert is more solid than your scoop.
I understand what you guys are saying about new design, maybe you're right, but I believe it will still bend even with the stiffening rods on new design. I'm trying a T-Rex 8" out where at least if I do have a problem I can call and communicate directly over the phone, not through EBay messaging. I have seen one issue with T-Rex and once the owner of the company that builds them caught wind of it and returned from vacation he took care of it. I wouldn't of had a problem with the Indiana failing if I had used it for several years and it failed, but the 3rd time using it is not good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
Great discussion about scoops ... If Irishgoldhound or myself have any problem with our Indiana Scoop, you can bet you all will hear about. You will hear from me second, the first person to hear will be my contact; Wolt from Indiana Scoops.

I told Wolt when I purchased the scoop that I would post a good review on TNet, if the scoop performed to my liking. My second day out with the scoop, it dug down for deep gold without any problem. I was digging in watery wet very fine hard packed sand and put a tremendous amount of pressure on the scoop/handle and lifted several heavy mounded loads ... so I don't have any complaints with the scoop or my choice of handle, yet.

Below is what Wolt said to me when I sent him a link to my post on the Indiana Scoop:

"Thank you! Thank you for forum posting and you have great handle! Scoop also looks lovely! :)

Please inform, if you have any problems with scoop.

Happy hunting!

Wolt"

Last edited:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I think this scoop will serve me well. I will definitely post my digs with this scoop. I also own a Dalyn stainless water scoop which is the same gauge steel as my new Indiana, and seems to be just as solid as my Dalyn which is indestructible! Now I just can't wait till the lakes un thaw to try it out! Happy hunting

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
- Great discussion about scoops ... If Irishgoldhound or myself have any problem with our Indiana Scoop, you can bet you all will hear about. You will hear from me second, the first person to hear will be my contact; Wolt from Indiana Scoops. I told Wolt when I purchased the scoop that I would post a good review on TNet, if the scoop performed to my liking. My second day out with the scoop, it dug down for deep gold without any problem. I was digging in watery wet very fine hard packed sand and put a tremendous amount of pressure on the scoop/handle and lifted several heavy mounded loads ... so I don't have any complaints with the scoop or my choice of handle, yet. Below is what Wolt said to me when I sent him a link to my post on the Indiana Scoop: "Thank you! Thank you for forum posting and you have great handle! Scoop also looks lovely! :) Please inform, if you have any problems with scoop. Happy hunting! Wolt"
What is the warranty on this scoop?

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I strongly agree with you that a 90 degree angle handle on a standup water scoop is easier on the wrist than an angled handle.
However, the pictured scoop does not look anything like the Sunspot Stealth 720i.

The pictured Indiana Scoop with it’s rounded bottom with shield type tip looks closer to a discontinued model of the Sunspot scoop which NJCigarman has been using for 20 years and still use . IIRC, the only repair(s) required was to replace the wooden handle (about every ten years).
Look carefully at the Sunspot Stealth 720i and you will see a sharp Eruotip type tip and angular sides optimized for digging near rocks where as the earlier design optimized for sand/mud bottoms.
Look even closer and you can see that Sunspot uses a rounded hole pattern which is stronger and less subject to metal fatique than honeycomb pattern of the Indiana scoop/

I would say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. The round compression struts and the tube design were much earlier successfully used on Stavr stand up water scoops.

Only time will tell if the pictured Indiana scoop will hold together as well as it looks.

Looks like a knock off of the Sunspot Stealth 720i which can be had with a fiber floating handle in either the 90 degree which I prefer or the angled one which I thing wears out the wrist faster. But the important thing is the guarantee.

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the warranty on this scoop?

Hi lookindown,

With order of the Indiana Scoop they offer the 3-year warranty (below). The scoop is basically a STAVR Scoop that has held up well over time.
I did not purchase the warranty and opted to give it an extreme workout in the toughest conditions that I would encounter. My worst sand to scoop is only at a couple beaches. It is very fine hard packed wet sand that rarely moves under the harshest storm conditions.

I pushed the scoop all the way down into to this very fine hard packed sand and pulled the handle back while watching for any flex or distortion of the handle mount and blade. The scoop pulled out a mounded heavy plug of this sand without any distortion. This sand is very hard to pull out, so obviously you need to put slow and deliberate pressure on the handle. You just can't rip that handle back fast on a 8"X12" load of sand and expect the handle and scoop to hold up over time.

If I saw any flex or distortion in my initial several days of rough use that I perceive would have cause premature failure, I would have sent the scoop back. It appears to be a structurally sound scoop.
I can't comment on how the scoop will perform in gravel or rocky beaches.

P1040873.JPG

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi lookindown, With order of the Indiana Scoop they offer the 3-year warranty (below). The scoop is basically a STAVR Scoop that has held up well over time. I did not purchase the warranty and opted to give it an extreme workout in the toughest conditions that I would encounter. My worst sand to scoop is only at a couple beaches. It is very fine hard packed wet sand that rarely moves under the harshest storm conditions. I pushed the scoop all the way down into to this very fine hard packed sand and pulled the handle back while watching for any flex or distortion of the handle mount and blade. The scoop pulled out a mounded heavy plug of this sand without any distortion. This sand is very hard to pull out, so obviously you need to put slow and deliberate pressure on the handle. You just can't rip that handle back fast on a 8"X12" load of sand and expect the handle and scoop to hold up over time. If I saw any flex or distortion in my initial several days of rough use that I perceive would have cause premature failure, I would have sent the scoop back. It appears to be a structurally sound scoop. I can't comment on how the scoop will perform in gravel or rocky beaches. View attachment 958397
Thanks for the info.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only priced shipping scoop back via ups not usps so I should be fair but it was going to cost more than I paid for scoop. It may be much cheaper by mail.

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
In light gravel and pebble or river rock this scoop would do fine I'm sure, but if you're wanting to dig down into bigger harder rock areas I would go with a heavier weighted ss scoop to pry up heavier stones.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking scoop. Good luck with it. I've only used one scoop and that's the sunspot by chuck and it's the only scoop I will ever need. I modified it with some 1/4 inch hardware cloth for those small items.
Last water hunt, scoop modification, snow 008 (Custom).jpg Last water hunt, scoop modification, snow 007 (Custom).jpg

Last edited:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Judging by the damage that was done to the sunspot scoop, Might I suggest using a battery powered jack hammer, and 36" jumbo heavy duty prior bar, before retrieving target(s).
Speak of a hard sand/clay bottom (sigh)!
Sure glad there are no live reefs/tidal pools near by!

Out of curiosity, how does the drinking water taste near the old pike or signal hill?
When I was there, the restaurants used to put a slice of lemon in the ice water to mask the oily taste.
I hear that many restaurants stopped giving ice water unless requested, because of the drought.
And some even charge for the ice water in addition to the meal.
So it may no longer be a problem.

Last edited:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice mod fongu.
As long as you do not have trouble sifting, it should work better than the Sugar Sand Classic 8 to catch small items as the mesh runs up to
the top of the scoop.

I would like to see the stealths designed so that you could lock in plastic inserts with smaller holes inside the basket.
This would provide a smoother surface with less friction for the debrie to sift thru when you needed a smaller hole size
and you don't have to worry about corrosion from using different types of metal.
Nice looking scoop. Good luck with it. I've only used one scoop and that's the sunspot by chuck and it's the only scoop I will ever need. I modified it with some 1/4 inch hardware cloth for those small items.
View attachment 958571 View attachment 958572

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did the Sunspot Stealth 720i failure that you posted occur under the same stated conditions and care constraints?

Hi lookindown,

With order of the Indiana Scoop they offer the 3-year warranty (below). The scoop is basically a STAVR Scoop that has held up well over time.
I did not purchase the warranty and opted to give it an extreme workout in the toughest conditions that I would encounter. My worst sand to scoop is only at a couple beaches. It is very fine hard packed wet sand that rarely moves under the harshest storm conditions.

I pushed the scoop all the way down into to this very fine hard packed sand and pulled the handle back while watching for any flex or distortion of the handle mount and blade. The scoop pulled out a mounded heavy plug of this sand without any distortion. This sand is very hard to pull out, so obviously you need to put slow and deliberate pressure on the handle. You just can't rip that handle back fast on a 8"X12" load of sand and expect the handle and scoop to hold up over time.

If I saw any flex or distortion in my initial several days of rough use that I perceive would have cause premature failure, I would have sent the scoop back. It appears to be a structurally sound scoop.
I can't comment on how the scoop will perform in gravel or rocky beaches.

View attachment 958397

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread