Tip for freshwater lakes in spring. Remember Spring?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree12Likes
  • 4 Post By Sandman
  • 2 Post By mnruxpin
  • 1 Post By mnruxpin
  • 1 Post By cooper1841
  • 2 Post By Sandman
  • 1 Post By yakker
  • 1 Post By SusanMN

Thread: Tip for freshwater lakes in spring. Remember Spring?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
    3985 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Tip for freshwater lakes in spring. Remember Spring?

Those that like to hunt the fresh water lakes at the swim areas should pay attention to when the wind blows strong toward the shore when the ice is breaking up. These ice flows get pushed onto shore and bulldoze the shore line pushing sand up farther on the beach. This causes targets to be uncovered and a melt or rain will uncover these goodies for eyeball finds very early in the year.
    Good Luck,
    Sandman
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    16822 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (5)
    that kind of action I think only happens on the Great lakes - I think mostly on Lake Mich.
    so good tip for there
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

us
    RUXPIN

May 2013
    206 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Haha me and my girl were just talking about that, yea in Minnesota we get huge ice break ups in all our 10,000 lakes, ill try to take some pictures when it happens. Its cool some of the berms are up to 3 foot on big lakes, and they pretty much circle the entire lakes. most are at least one or 2 foot high, a few feet wide. The is is always moving and cracking and pushing the sand into piles on the shore, almost like mini glaciers. Pretty stoked, thats how I kick off the year is hitting them cuz they are a little higher and seem to thaw out and be diggable first. ALWAYS find old stuff in them, and my kids ALWAYS end up soaking wet from playing on the ice breaks..haha good times

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Those that like to hunt the fresh water lakes at the swim areas should pay attention to when the wind blows strong toward the shore when the ice is breaking up. These ice flows get pushed onto shore and bulldoze the shore line pushing sand up farther on the beach. This causes targets to be uncovered and a melt or rain will uncover these goodies for eyeball finds very early in the year.
    Good Luck,
    Sandman
    Sandman and cooper1841 like this.
    I like the beach!!!

us
    RUXPIN

May 2013
    206 times
    Oh forgot to say, they only last a few days, the heating creates wind, wind makes waves, waves and small floating ice chunks level berms in no time, gotta hit that window hard...also seems like the really good targets are always frozen in the berm, you cant get to them, you can dig a hundred targets, pretty sure the one or 2 you cant get are GOLD haha...but "todays the day" so you just keep on movin!
    Sandman likes this.
    I like the beach!!!

Charter Member
    us
    "WP"

May 2012
    23906 times
    Down wind on inland lakes indeed, First time as a young youth it was very interesting to watch. Almost like high speed glacial activity of short range.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2012
    S.E. Michigan.
    Minelab CTX 3030.... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
    2322 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I live where Lake Huron, which is over 90% covered with ice, tries to empty all its ice into the St. Clair river, it will not work!!! Spring on my favorite beach, which is right where they meet, , will find huge piles of 2-3 foot thick,ice the size of an auto. Sandman is right, they bulldoze a ridge if sand and gravel, about 2-3 feet high, onto shore!!! This is one of my first spots to go in Spring, since the sod/mud, will still be froze, plus nothing like watching the freighters go by, while you hunt!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Good Luck,
    Sandman
    Last edited by cooper1841; Mar 06, 2014 at 08:15 AM.
    Sandman likes this.
    1844 Canadian Half Cent ... (2) 1859 Canadian Large Cent... 1873 Three Cent Nickle... 2- 1864 U.S. 2 Cent Piece... 1858 Seated Half Dime... 1875 Seated Half Dollar... 1863 Fatty IH ... Civil War Eagle I button ... Frisbie's Civil War Store Token

us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
    3985 times
    My gold count went way up when I started hunting fresh water lake swim areas as swimmers are concentrated into smaller areas. I don't like to dig in the very shallow water where swimmers can see the off color bottom and all holes are covered so swim areas aren't banned to detecting. Check those ice flows guys and gals.
    Sir Gala Clad and mnruxpin like this.
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

us
    Jan 2012
    Down East
    spec enhanced eyeballs
    1175 times
    And it even happens on the mid-Atlantic Delmarva area. This is a time I yearn for over the winter. In a week, I'll have Christmas-on-the-shore!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo058.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	955641 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo049.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	141.9 KB 
ID:	955642 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo064.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	204.3 KB 
ID:	955644

Happy Hunting all! Yakker
    cooper1841 likes this.

us
    Jan 2010
    Lawrence County, PA & Brevard County, Florida
    AT-Pro & BHID
    16 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Great tip, thanks!

Jun 2007
    Minnesota
    Tiger Shark, Xterra 705
    3111 times
    Here is an amazing video of ice coming off of a huge Minnesota lake last spring.

Sandman, you think this might have moved a decent amount of sand?
    Last edited by SusanMN; Mar 29, 2014 at 09:49 PM.
    mnruxpin likes this.
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it”

Thomas Jefferson

us
    Jan 2010
    AT-Pro & BHID
    16 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanMN View Post
    Here is an amazing video of ice coming off of a huge Minnesota lake last spring.
    Crazy for sure! All that weight and force, that's enough to total a house and move it off its foundation.

us
    Feb 2012
    tx.
    excalibur 11 dfx 300
    810 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    i hunt freshwater lakes in texas if you can find a lake that is low and has sand as the lakes come back up with a few high winds it will makes some nice cuts have found alot of rings at the shoreline sometimes only just a few inches is all it takes

us
    Aug 2011
    Southwest Florida
    Garrett & Fisher Minelab Excaliber II Garrett Pro Pointer
    432 times
    Ice?

us
    Jan 2010
    AT-Pro & BHID
    16 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by baywalker View Post
    Ice?
    rub it in....you'll be baking very soon!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links