Tip for freshwater lakes in spring. Remember Spring?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those that like to hunt the fresh water lakes at the swim areas should pay attention to when the wind blows strong toward the shore when the ice is breaking up. These ice flows get pushed onto shore and bulldoze the shore line pushing sand up farther on the beach. This causes targets to be uncovered and a melt or rain will uncover these goodies for eyeball finds very early in the year.
Good Luck,
Sandman :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that kind of action I think only happens on the Great lakes - I think mostly on Lake Mich.
so good tip for there

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Haha me and my girl were just talking about that, yea in Minnesota we get huge ice break ups in all our 10,000 lakes, ill try to take some pictures when it happens. Its cool some of the berms are up to 3 foot on big lakes, and they pretty much circle the entire lakes. most are at least one or 2 foot high, a few feet wide. The is is always moving and cracking and pushing the sand into piles on the shore, almost like mini glaciers. Pretty stoked, thats how I kick off the year is hitting them cuz they are a little higher and seem to thaw out and be diggable first. ALWAYS find old stuff in them, and my kids ALWAYS end up soaking wet from playing on the ice breaks..haha good times

Those that like to hunt the fresh water lakes at the swim areas should pay attention to when the wind blows strong toward the shore when the ice is breaking up. These ice flows get pushed onto shore and bulldoze the shore line pushing sand up farther on the beach. This causes targets to be uncovered and a melt or rain will uncover these goodies for eyeball finds very early in the year.
Good Luck,

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Oh forgot to say, they only last a few days, the heating creates wind, wind makes waves, waves and small floating ice chunks level berms in no time, gotta hit that window hard...also seems like the really good targets are always frozen in the berm, you cant get to them, you can dig a hundred targets, pretty sure the one or 2 you cant get are GOLD haha...but "todays the day" so you just keep on movin!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Down wind on inland lakes indeed, First time as a young youth it was very interesting to watch. Almost like high speed glacial activity of short range.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live where Lake Huron, which is over 90% covered with ice, tries to empty all its ice into the St. Clair river, it will not work!!! Spring on my favorite beach, which is right where they meet, , will find huge piles of 2-3 foot thick,ice the size of an auto. Sandman is right, they bulldoze a ridge if sand and gravel, about 2-3 feet high, onto shore!!! This is one of my first spots to go in Spring, since the sod/mud, will still be froze, plus nothing like watching the freighters go by, while you hunt!!
Good Luck,

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My gold count went way up when I started hunting fresh water lake swim areas as swimmers are concentrated into smaller areas. I don't like to dig in the very shallow water where swimmers can see the off color bottom and all holes are covered so swim areas aren't banned to detecting. Check those ice flows guys and gals.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And it even happens on the mid-Atlantic Delmarva area. This is a time I yearn for over the winter. In a week, I'll have Christmas-on-the-shore!!!

Photo058.jpg Photo049.jpg Photo064.jpg

Happy Hunting all! Yakker

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an amazing video of ice coming off of a huge Minnesota lake last spring.

Sandman, you think this might have moved a decent amount of sand?

Last edited:

bluediamounds 55

Feb 2, 2012
tx.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excalibur 11 dfx 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i hunt freshwater lakes in texas if you can find a lake that is low and has sand as the lakes come back up with a few high winds it will makes some nice cuts have found alot of rings at the shoreline sometimes only just a few inches is all it takes

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread