Manchester
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Special edition
Whites Dual field P.I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold chain detector :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Hi guys & Girls
Here is a question, which beach detector is the best ( or even capable ) for gold chains. I am interested in buying an Excalibur II, I all ready have a whites dual field PI, as well as some other land detectors. T2 special edition / G 2.

I sampled some different jewelries on the PI, which supposable is good on gold, fair enough rings & earings, great, but gold chains, although detecting them, you would never dig it, modern currency in Europe ( small 1ct 2 & 5 ) are coppered steel, giving a bad signal, this in conjunction with trash on the beach makes using a PI a bit of a frustration, and unless you dig absolutely everything which is just impossible, I cannot help thinking, although a Pulse induction detector, and depth is great ( also I have made some good finds ) it is not the tool for the job.

The only reason I went for a Pulse induction over a Multi frequency detector ( only possible 2 choices for beach detecting / surf ) is that the pulse induction should theoretically be better on gold chains than a multi frequency which are famous for not being able to detect gold chains.

Allthough theoretically I was making an educated decision on the detector to try and get some more of that yellow stuff, I think the Minelab Excalibur is the better option. The lack of discrimination is a nightmare and the edge over a multi frequency for being able to detect a gold chain is in my opinion insignificant, for all the tests I ran did not inspire confidence at all on the signal you get back..

Every body if you can try a little `` sampling ´´ at home with a small thin gold chain, till date there is no detector capable, taking in to consideration whilst looking for the good stuff one never digs everything, it is an impossibility on trashy beaches,

Conclusion, I will be saying bye bye to the Pulse induction and getting an Excalibur, the chances of a gold chain are the same, maybe I will be lucky and the chain have a big fastener or some medallion on it allowing the multi frequency to pick it up…

Let me know your opinions, and any success stories with small gold chains, I think they are as elusive as the lottery….

P.S even my T 2 and G 2 ( VLF ) on a very thin chain register on low 20´s ( a signal you would never dig )

Upvote 0

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before you buy an excel, go to you tube and check out video's on detector that will find Gold chains. you can learn a lot by watching you tube.

trsrseeker

May 10, 2011
FL / NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field, Excaliber 11, Sovereign, CTX 3030
I own and use both the machines you have mentioned and have found chains with both of them. Not once has the chain been a must dig signal unless it had a pendant. In my experience they have always been signals anyone cherry picking would pass on. For trashy beaches the Excal is an amazing machine. I would suggest the smaller coil - the one they call an 8 inch - for high trash environments and expect to spend hundreds of hours getting to know the machine before you realize its full capabilities. Excal users in high trash environments will not find all the gold as one would with a PI and digging everything, but if it is not possible to dig everything the excal user will still be finding gold long after the PI user has given up in frustration.

JustKeepDigging

May 2, 2013
Jupiter, FL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
PRL-1 Whites, Tesoro Sand Shark, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im thinking of picking up one myself. Haven't found any gold in awhile with my Sand Shark, way to much trash. I feel like im just cleaning the beaches for free lol. I really feel like my depth isnt all to good, was in the water 2 hours and not a single target...maybe my settings are off? Well i hope to save up and grab an excall soon!!

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You best bet for a VLF to find smaller gold chains is a smaller coil. Multi freq machines with a salt setting does make it difficult to find some smaller gold, id have to argue about the Xcal being the worst to find gold.... my finds say otherwise. Have to agree on the PI.... you have to stay with it and the uS can make some difference. However unlike the VLF the coil size doesnt have a lot to do with anything but coverage. Also.... if you are talking fresh water, a single freq machine without a factory salt setting is a better choice.

dew

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Tesoro Sand Sharks are good for small gold chains...

Excals will find gold chains with large links, clasps or pendant s on them but have hard time with small thin chains as it sees each link as individual rather than the chain as one target.

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Im thinking of picking up one myself. Haven't found any gold in awhile with my Sand Shark, way to much trash. I feel like im just cleaning the beaches for free lol. I really feel like my depth isnt all to good, was in the water 2 hours and not a single target...maybe my settings are off? Well i hope to save up and grab an excall soon!!

I hunt your area alot with the same machine. Lately I have been thinking the same thing. I have found one complete small chain and pieces of others. Yea we dig everything and are finding nothing lately,but I really feel its the conditions not the detector. We need the lion to start roaring.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread