White Surmaster II or PI

larrylwill

Jul 6, 2008
North East Alabama, Section
Detector(s) used
Own: Fisher F75 LTD, Whites Coinmaster GT, Technetics Delta 4000, Whites Eagle Sl, Garrett GTA 1000, Whites PI underwater, Whites Surf Master, Garrett Master Hunter w/ 2 box.
I started detecting in th
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im planning a trip to Pourto Rico this summer. I have a Surmaster II (discriminator) and a Surmaster PI. I have not used either very much since I moved to North Alabama. Which would you suggest I take with me? I also have 2 Garretts ATX and a Whites DFX
I suppose I would be doing most detection on the beach but I also would like to do some snorkle or diving detecting just beyond the surf.

Upvote 0

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
As I only have the SurfMaster PI and the ATX, I would take the PI. I don't think you will need all the advancements the ATX has. Now in comparision I would not take the PI to our beaches around here, the ATX is my detector of choice. The PI is lighter and easier to move with. When I went to PR I took my Excal. Still I dug over 300 bottle caps in one day with no gold from the one beach. All my detecting was in the water, bathing suit and booties. If it was not bad enough for me, there were 6 other detectorists at the same beach having the same results. Lots of companionship and fun - out of the water.

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
Hi larrylwill,

I'm not sure how popular metal detecting is in Puerto Rico at the places you will be at, or how trashy the beaches are, but if MD is popular, I would take the ATX for the beach and your snorkeling beyond the surf line to retrieve all the Gold & Silver everybody else left behind.

OP
OP
L

larrylwill

Jul 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Own: Fisher F75 LTD, Whites Coinmaster GT, Technetics Delta 4000, Whites Eagle Sl, Garrett GTA 1000, Whites PI underwater, Whites Surf Master, Garrett Master Hunter w/ 2 box.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lady that is renting us the house said she has a friend that metal detects all the time. I wondering if I'm better with the PI or the surfmaster, the surfmaster II has discriminate. I cant fit more than one. I would like to take my DFX also but I cant. So its either the Surmaster II or the PI.

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
You said that you had an ATX in your first post which is a PI.

Personally, I would take the PI for the surf which is where your best chance is for lots of precious metals

OP
OP
L

larrylwill

Jul 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I ment GTX I have a GTX 500 and GTX 1000. I normally use the DFX. I got the Surfmaster PI and Surmaster II many years ago and then moved out of Florida and haven't used them since.

jchart

Mar 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a larrywill. were at innoh aabama do u live. i also live in north alabama. hve many places to hunt in this area looking for a partner. interested
Im planning a trip to Pourto Rico this summer. I have a Surmaster II (discriminator) and a Surmaster PI. I have not used either very much since I moved to North Alabama. Which would you suggest I take with me? I also have 2 Garretts ATX and a Whites DFX
I suppose I would be doing most detection on the beach but I also would like to do some snorkle or diving detecting just beyond the surf.

jchart

Mar 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
North Alabama

where do u live in north alabama. i also live in north alabama. i have lots of places to hunt relics looking for a partner interested

OP
OP
L

larrylwill

Jul 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live on the Bluff overlooking Scottsboro about 3 miles west of Comer bridge in Section.

OP
OP
L

larrylwill

Jul 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did I scare everybody off?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LIVE AND LEARN - IF YOU CAN TAKE BOTH - DO IT - I ALWAYS BRING A BACK UP
LONG A GO I TOOK A TRIP TO FLA. AND HAD ROD BREAK - IT WAS A SUNDAY MORNING AND ALL THE SHOPS WERE CLOSED
SO I MISSED OUT ON BOTH SUNDAY LOW TIDES AND MONDAY AM LOW - NEVER AGAIN
AND ON A TRIP TO DOM.REP. i WENT IN WITH NEW/USED MACHINE AND IT LEAKED AFTER ABOUT AN HOUR
LUCKILY I HAD EXTRA IN MY ROOM - CAUSE THAT TURNED OUT TO BE ONE OF MY BETTER TRIPS
GOOD LUCK IN PR - THERE ARE A HANDFUL OF LOCALS THAT WATER HUNT AND THEN YOU GOT GUYS THAT DIVE WITH MASK AND SNORKELS AND FAN OUT ALOT OF THE BEACHES AND LOOK FOR GOLD JEWELRY - SOME MAY THINK ITS SILLY - BUT THEY GET SOME - SAW A GUY FAN UP A GOLD RING WHEN I WAS THERE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread