Any Florida keys detectors?

wetfly

Aug 8, 2012
Not sure if this is correct place for this but was just wondering how many people on here live in the Florida keys? I'm in key west for last 20 yrs now and would be interested in getting together with another motivated hunter to combine our efforts and make quicker work of less hit areas!
I have tons of local knowledge and am a tug captain currently but was a light tackle fishing guide for ten years before that--

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are a handful of KW hunters out there - don't know of too many on here - may be lurkers
you may get someone to hunt with - but 99% of TH'ers - don't combine efforts
Ive hit a lot of areas there long ago - you'd be surprised that there aren't many - unhit areas down there - unless youre hitting deep water

hookahman

Aug 6, 2013
Sometimes I drive down to the keys for a little mding. If you ever want to head out give me a weeks notice. I got an excal 2 an a sand shark so I am good to go

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lived in Key West myself for 8 years and a fisherman as well. Also owned a Pizza Joint off Roosevelt for a number of years. Small world! :D

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious Dew! Do you happen to remember a breakfast place called Stouts in Marathon?

KEYSHUNTER

Sep 29, 2007
florida keys
Detector(s) used
;whites dual PI
wetfly,pretty busy this year,traffic is just awful.good in a way.always up for a hunt,i am in Islamorada..CASPER 2 is correct on conditions plus state and federal rules makes it worse

OP
OP
wetfly

wetfly

Aug 8, 2012
Thanks for the replies everyone!! Been super busy at work lately but about to slow down enough to get some swingin time in!! Growing up here in key west I have quite a few private properties of friends of mine that I hit pretty regularly, and I hit the beaches for mostly recently dropped items-- being as small as it is down here, productive spots are few and far between!
Although I'd love to be able to run out to the reef, say even sand key light, and hit the mooring bouys that the big catamarans shuttle tourists out to by the thousands! Fairly shallow and sandy and could be a nice amount of dropped loot I would think?? I'll be visiting my sister in delray in a couple weeks and wanna hit the beach there and anything inland worth checking out as well!
Always up for a good hunt so if ever anyone gets down this way gimmie a holler and I'll swing all day with ya!!

Bigfish105

Dec 5, 2013
Marathon, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Wetfly! I'm living on my trawler in Marathon but I'm brand new to MD and anxious to go out with someone who knows what they're doing if they wouldn't be embarrassed to be seen with someone with a Tesoro Compadre! All I could afford at the moment. I've read a bit about the history of the keys and shipwrecks etc. I would think there'd be some interesting locations around here but I don't know how hard hit this area is. I'd love to come down to KW and meet you. Particularly intrigued with your thoughts on the tourist catamaran site. I was trained to dive on the offshore oil rigs in 1974 in Southern California and actually talked to Mel Fisher when I answered an add for divers after I graduated. He said he could give me room and board on the barge but nothing else at the moment. I would have gone but I was freshly married and he wouldn't take my wife too.. Let me know!

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wife and I lived aboard boats in Marathon for 9 years and traveled as far as Belize, Mexico, Canada, the Chesapeake Bay, across the Gulf and all across the keys many times. We had two boats, a 36 foot Cal sailboat and a 35 foot Sea Ray, one on anchor and one on a city mooring and had both the power boater's access and the sail boater's range. Burdines, the Village Café, Annette's and many others were weekly watering holes as were many other whistle wetting hotspots. Detecting, fishing and diving all along the Keys was always on the top of our list of things to do. I also lived in the Keys with my grandparents back in the early 50's. I learned to dive in 59 and have ben hooked and ruined ever since. We were there for the 2005 hurricane season and rode out all five hurricanes that hit the Keys aboard our boats. That was a real fun year aboard.

We are now up on the Manatee River at Ellenton. That is about 15 miles up river in a retirement community with one of our current boat sitting in our little marina. Our traveling days have ended for a little while as we are both having some health issues that require surgery. As soon as we recover and get back able to travel we are going back to treasure hunting. Who knows, maybe the Keys will be on our list if places to go again.

Bmore 083.jpg Boot Key  Anchorage & Morings.jpg Parrotheads Dream.jpg White Feather Rebuild 049.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions