Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about the Sea Hunter? I've heard the SH is better on gold than the SS and deeper too.

I think you could flip a coin. Once you get to 15-20" deep looking for pea sized targets it's all the same. I had a SS and know from experience it will pickup a small piece of steel field fence at 18" deep. I had to break out post hole diggers to retrieve it. The Sea Hunter does have interchangeable coils but I feel this opens up other problems down the road with connectors vs hardwired machines. I know the SS doesn't care if the target is gold, silver, aluminum, bottlecap, iron, bobby pin, clad, etc, etc. It will pick it up.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about the Sea Hunter? I've heard the SH is better on gold than the SS and deeper too.
I know from owning a Sand Shark it doesn't matter if it's gold, platinum, titanium, aluminum, or any other metallic object it will find it! I think you hear all kinds if opinions but either will pick up gold at super deep depths. Just be careful what you wish for though, spending all day digging deep junk is no good if you never make it to the shallow platinum ring! Just my opinion.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just pulled the trigger on an ATX .. but based on my research on YouTube I think the TDI Pro is the deepest with the ATX next then the Dual Field and Sand Shark. This is based on a nickle target buried in wet sand. The TDI Pro is the only non waterproof detector. I've ruled out the GPX 5000 due to it's price. The Dual Field and Sand Shark are nice lighter machines. The ATX and TDI Pro are heavier and cost considerably more. Lots of trade offs to consider. My consideration was a nice compact package for the ATX and it's superb hitting on a 0.1 gram gold nugget.
Does it pick up tiny pieces of foil?

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go back and read what I responded to again. I said the ATX will not go deeper than the Minelab GPX 5000. As far as going deeper than a Sand Shark, does it really matter? How much deeper than 16" do you have to go beach hunting?

I tend to agree with Terry ... it is no fun scooping targets over 16" deep in wet sand or in the water. With my ATX, I have scooped lots of 2-4 oz. lead sinkers over 20" deep, and it's a killer to scoop that deep! I now tend to give up at around 16". So depth isn't always good or wanted in the water.

But power and sensitivity comes into play in more ways than just depth. On a target that is 6"-8" deep, I pick it up way before I get my coil over it, so you have a better chance to find more targets with MORE POWER!!

It's also great to have the power and sensitivity for un-trashy dry sand and for inland gold and relic hunting.

Last edited:

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Every detector has it nitch. I own three PI detectors the Whites Surfmaster PI, Garrett Infiinium and the Garrett ATX.
My each detector will be my go-to detector depending on the beach I go to. Each has its own personality for a given beach. (for 3 beaches within 100 miles) The beach with lots of rocks and black sand I take the Infinium with a 8" mono coil. For the beach I have to walk all day the SurfMaster PI is the only detector I can swing long enough to make the trip worthwhile. -This might change if I get a better swing-thing. For most other salt water beaches within the 100 miles the ATX can not be beat. Now that is here in New England. If I was talking Florida...I'll bring my Excalibur...Iron mask and the 15" WOT coil are a big plus. In each case I would be looking for jewelry. Pick your most desired targets, check out the area you will be detecting in dirt, sand, water, and the mineralization in each. Find out what detectors are being used by the locals in that area, do some research, figure out what controls are essential to you, not just the bells a detector may have. Asking a question as you did, you will get an answer that might not relavent to your needs. AND there are very few detectorist that have done side by side testing such as R.D. had done or you see on some videos. Good luck finding your perfect detector. But keep in mind you may need several to suit all your searching needs. A dozen detectors may not be enough when you consider type of detector, coils, headphones, frequency of use etc....

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Raw gold is easier to pick up than some smaller/micro gold. AquaStarII is perhaps the best but almost impossible to get your hands on. Some may have to high a uS to work effectively at the surf edge.... you end up turning them down and loosing depth. I believe the TDI is an example of that .... has a 10uS i think.

Dew

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Every detector has it nitch. I own three PI detectors the Whites Surfmaster PI, Garrett Infiinium and the Garrett ATX.
My each detector will be my go-to detector depending on the beach I go to. Each has its own personality for a given beach. (for 3 beaches within 100 miles) The beach with lots of rocks and black sand I take the Infinium with a 8" mono coil. For the beach I have to walk all day the SurfMaster PI is the only detector I can swing long enough to make the trip worthwhile. -This might change if I get a better swing-thing. For most other salt water beaches within the 100 miles the ATX can not be beat. Now that is here in New England. If I was talking Florida...I'll bring my Excalibur...Iron mask and the 15" WOT coil are a big plus. In each case I would be looking for jewelry. Pick your most desired targets, check out the area you will be detecting in dirt, sand, water, and the mineralization in each. Find out what detectors are being used by the locals in that area, do some research, figure out what controls are essential to you, not just the bells a detector may have. Asking a question as you did, you will get an answer that might not relavent to your needs. AND there are very few detectorist that have done side by side testing such as R.D. had done or you see on some videos. Good luck finding your perfect detector. But keep in mind you may need several to suit all your searching needs. A dozen detectors may not be enough when you consider type of detector, coils, headphones, frequency of use etc....

Amen!!

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My old PI!
I buried it six feet under, after it died.
If you come across it you will find “BYTI" inscribed on its grave marker. Which means “Better You than I”!

I can now Detect in Peace without having to dig five scoops to retrieve a "?" (Whatever the blankety blank things are).
All I know is that they either fell thru the holes of my scoop or mysteriously disappear.

Except (there always has to be an exception) for aluminum cans on end buried three or more feet deep.
Deposited by a very special type of person, obviously from the bottom of the gene pool (Sigh)!

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go back and read what I responded to again. I said the ATX will not go deeper than the Minelab GPX 5000. As far as going deeper than a Sand Shark, does it really matter? How much deeper than 16" do you have to go beach hunting?
The you tube video , minelab GPX 5000 Vr Garrett's ATX said the ATX go's deeper than the GPX

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The you tube video , minelab GPX 5000 Vr Garrett's ATX said the ATX go's deeper than the GPX

If you believe what you see on Youtube all the time, I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale Ron..

Un Da Da Sea

Mar 8, 2014
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
White's Dual field
Minelab excal II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
012.JPG 013.JPG
I definitely enjoy the depth on both my Sand Shark and Dual Field. But what always
amazes me is when I get a solid signal and dig down at least 4-6 inches and
find gold this small. I have also found large rings at least 2 ft deep. I have abandoned
targets at 3ft or more not being able to move the sand and just being too exhausted.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry I'll be in Rich Hill some time in late Oct. or Nov. and we'll see .

Octopulse

Mar 13, 2010
Perth
Detector(s) used
Current detectors;
Minelab Excalibur II
Garrett XL500 “Super Pulse”
White’s MX7
White’s XL PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Garrett Sea Hunter "senses" the smaller, lower karat gold rings very well, however, my Aquapulse AQ1B "senses" the bigger rings (average wedding band as an example), gold coins, silver coins better than my other detectors. The longer pulse delay (approx 25µs) of the AQ1B has its purpose for sure.

HH
Tony.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions