gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab GPX 5000 will be the deepest on small gold nuggets. What one's looking for can make a lot of difference here. They'll all pretty much find an aluminum can at two feet. Need a reference point, the deepest on what??

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab GPX 5000 will be the deepest on small gold nuggets. What one's looking for can make a lot of difference here. They'll all pretty much find an aluminum can at two feet. Need a reference point, the deepest on what??
The ATX by Garrett will find small gold Deeper than the GPX 5000 !!!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JW FISHER is what big boys use on ship wrecks - but not what you want on a beach
can be used to look for cannon balls down deep and other larger objects

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
JW FISHER is what big boys use on ship wrecks - but not what you want on a beach
can be used to look for cannon balls down deep and other larger objects

Casper - at what depth would you "switch" from the CZ21 to your JW 8X??

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here we go.

R.Danneskjold

Jun 23, 2013
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No it won't.

No slam on a SS as I have found most of my great finds with it. In side by side tests with both........... the ATX finds rings better. We buried and re buried a few small jewellery items of silver/gold and its enough for me to say the ATX is my next machine.

I'm not sure it worth the price difference in the end but my belief is the ATX does go deeper than the SS.

Last edited:

trsrseeker

May 10, 2011
FL / NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field, Excaliber 11, Sovereign, CTX 3030
Really matters what you are looking for and where you are looking: silver or iron the "big boys" would use the Aquapulse detectors on wreck sites, the JW Fishers is used in all the movies but not so much in the treasure salvage industry. Looking for gold coins or rings in the saltwater I would choose the Whites DF over the JW Fishers or the Aquapulse. I own and have used all of these extensively. Are you looking for something to use in the water, on the land, to tow or carry or swing yourself? As with all detectors the key is the right tool for the job and there is always a compromise to make.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No slam on a SS as I have found most of my great finds with it. In side by side tests with both........... the ATX finds rings better. We buried and re buried a few small jewellery items of silver/gold and its enough for me to say the ATX is my next machine. I'm not sure it worth the price difference in the end but my belief is the ATX does go deeper than the SS.

Go back and read what I responded to again. I said the ATX will not go deeper than the Minelab GPX 5000. As far as going deeper than a Sand Shark, does it really matter? How much deeper than 16" do you have to go beach hunting?

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go back and read what I responded to again. I said the ATX will not go deeper than the Minelab GPX 5000. As far as going deeper than a Sand Shark, does it really matter? How much deeper than 16" do you have to go beach hunting?
He said ATX will find SMALL gold deeper...I don't have a clue, never used either one.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

R.Danneskjold

Jun 23, 2013
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry Terry......I confused my answer with one post! I can not compare the SS to a 5000, never seen one. The comparison we did was with a SS and should correct that. The ATX was hitting at a deeper depth for sure. I guess 16 inches only matters if the ring is at 16.5 inches etc. Meaning on a beach, in my area, the ATX was deeper. Now is that worth the price and extra digging taken to find a led fishing weight? Not sure. On a budget.......no other choice than a SS. Love that machine! Also.....A VERY DRY MACHINE! If your not in the deep and price is not an issue my choice is the ATX. As an example my quiver (to be) is SS for PI diving/water on clean beaches. A Excal2 for a littered beach diving. An ATX for cleaner beaches with no diving and an CTX3030 for dirty beaches.

Last edited:

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just pulled the trigger on an ATX .. but based on my research on YouTube I think the TDI Pro is the deepest with the ATX next then the Dual Field and Sand Shark.

This is based on a nickle target buried in wet sand. The TDI Pro is the only non waterproof detector. I've ruled out the GPX 5000 due to it's price.

The Dual Field and Sand Shark are nice lighter machines. The ATX and TDI Pro are heavier and cost considerably more.

Lots of trade offs to consider. My consideration was a nice compact package for the ATX and it's superb hitting on a 0.1 gram gold nugget.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, how about this;

Which PI for;

1) Salt Water Diving - 30ft or deeper?
2) Wet Beach Sand and up to waist deep in the surf?
3) Dry and or inland?

And the targets are the mandatory gold rings etc and possible relics?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to try nugget shooting with the GPX. I think RL was referring to the YouTube video by a Tnet member comparing the GPX to ATX both with DD coils. The ATX did do better on very thin flake but not as good as the GPX on a "nugget". Shooting for nuggets is definitely on my bucket list! May have to go see Terry out in AZ one day. But for wet beach PI detecting the Sand Shark is on the top of the list.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread