can an ace 250 be used in the sand at low tide.... personal experience please.

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
I understand it's not a saltwater machine and it's got all the limitations but I'm curious if it will be possible to hunt with my 250 with my small 5x8 dd coil. Anyone ever try it. I've seen videos of people doing it on YouTube and curious if the smaller dd will help.

I live in Ohio and go on vacation once or twice a year so I'm not looking for beach detector selections. Only looking for anyone with first half experience or seen the 250 first hand at the beach.

Any suggestions (beside another detector)

Upvote 0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first got mine I tried the wet sand at the beach and I couldn't get it to stop falsing...even with the sens down to two bars. I had the 6x9 concentric, so the DD coil may work better, I don't know. My AT PRO works fine in the wet sand with its 8x11 DD coil. The ACE 250 will work fine in the dry sand.

nutsdad

Sep 27, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II ,Ace 350, garrett pro pointer, AT Pro homemade sand scoop,RTG6 scoop with stainless tip
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ace 250 will work in dry sand and wet sand you will have to play with it a bit. But it will work hunted with a guy that used one at myrtle beach last year. Will lose depth but can be used. Good luck find lots

OP
OP
F

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Yeah I figured if there was a way to use it. That it would lose depth. Was that guy able to find anything or did it just not false but not pick anything up either haha.
I'm curious if the small dd will help it.

Also glad I'm not getting the it's not a beach detector blah blah blah like I didn't know. I'm going on vacation next week and just looking for pointers

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I figured if there was a way to use it. That it would lose depth. Was that guy able to find anything or did it just not false but not pick anything up either haha.
I'm curious if the small dd will help it.

Also glad I'm not getting the it's not a beach detector blah blah blah like I didn't know. I'm going on vacation next week and just looking for pointers

You can hunt dry sand with no problem and could find fresh drops in wet sand if you turn sensitivity way down which will really kill the depth and drops are very shallow .....

If you have no other choice then go for it, you already know it will be greatly handicapped. ..

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over a year ago when hurricane(Sandy?) hit east coast, I went to Bay Head, New Jersey to work and brought my 250. Went on a Sunday and it was pretty nasty out. As my friends dropped me off they heckled me about all the sand that they were bringing in to the beach. There were piles of sand as far as the eye could see. I wasn't deterred. I walked down toward the jetty area and turned on 250. I was in the damp sand and as I approached the wet there was no altercation in the detector. I got all the way down where the water was receding back to the sea and nothing. Not till I actually put the coil in the water did it squeal. All my settings were like I had them at home. I found two zinc pennies in the wet sand and then this beautiful ankle bracelet came up. I couldn't believe it! Why wasn't this thing going crazy? To this day still don't know but I do know I have the gold!
4y6y4eza.jpg
6apy4eze.jpg
a2e4e8ys.jpg

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have 1 in a 1000 250 or........

A heavy rain also washes the salt out of the wet sand as it drains which is why at the beach it is always good to hunt right after a heavy or long rain storm..... That may have been the issue that helped you....

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

OP
OP
F

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Nice I never new that. It's supposed to rain the second day there so I will have to go out the next day

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have 1 in a 1000 250 or........

A heavy rain also washes the salt out of the wet sand as it drains which is why at the beach it is always good to hunt right after a heavy or long rain storm..... That may have been the issue that helped you....

Never thought of that TH but could very well been the case. Or just plain luck! Lol! By the way, like your quote at the end of your replies. I'd be right there with ya!

MTJosh

Jan 23, 2014
AZ & Deer Lodge, MT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett propointer Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used a 250 before getting my DFPI. On beaches with high iron sand it falses a lot. But in jewelry mode and notch down sensitivity it worked on many other beaches. Sure I can't get a dime at 10" (or even 18")like the PI but was able to pop coins at 6" in the wet. Just be prepared for falsing. As always with the 250 be it dirt or beach if you get a consistent signal then dig. Was nice having target ID and passing on iron unlike the PI. For your trip it will be fine. I even trief the coil in the water and found a coin. But best was wet sand. The beaches out here in CA the 250 can false just as much in the dry. Even some tot lots as the sand is mostly local iron sand. Good luck and have fun.

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Agree with MTJosh. Jewelry mode, sensitivity as high as you can handle the falsing, and dig everything that repeats. I found lots of coins and jewelry with mine. Keep your ears open for that nickel signal. I found a $2500 platinum ring about 6 inches down in the wet sand with my 250. Good luck and let us know how you do.

OP
OP
F

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Where you hunting the wet sand when you found that. Is the Nickle where the Platinum rings in at

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I've found gold and platinum in the wet sand (and nickels!) with a repeating nickel signal.

OP
OP
F

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Which coil are you using. Stock? Thanks for the info so far I wouldn't have thought of it coming in on the Nickle and probably would have discriminated it out without knowing.

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Yes, I used the stock coil. The only thing you really want to disc out is the iron. Dig the foil, pull tabs, nickels and up. Foil and pull tabs could be lighter gold items. The two nicest rings that I've found both came in as solid nickel signals. If it repeats, dig it. The key is to dig as many targets as possible in your time limit. Increase your odds of finding keepers.

MTJosh

Jan 23, 2014
AZ & Deer Lodge, MT
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Garrett propointer Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have stock coil too. Agree with Mi$sterG. Only knock out iron at the beach. Always dig nickel signals. This isn't a park where pull tabs are everywhere. If you pass on pull tabs and nickels you will be passing on possible gold. I wish I had the 250 today. Hit the beach with the PI to find the wet sanded in. Hit the dry for junk necklace and $3 in clad. But with no discrimination dug plenty of bottle caps and nails too. With 250 would have passed on all of those. Still a fun day with dolphins just off the coast and digging targets.

nutsdad

Sep 27, 2012
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II ,Ace 350, garrett pro pointer, AT Pro homemade sand scoop,RTG6 scoop with stainless tip
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have first hand experience with a 250 at the beach.
blah blah the ace sucks. It dose false as did my ace 350. At the beach but good signals come in clear with every pass. False signals will be there and gone on repeat pass. You will have a good time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread