Is a beach pinpointer necessary? Pistolprobe Propointer xpointer under saltwater

deteknix

Jul 22, 2013
Covina, CA
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS Pro-pointer
Ace 350
White's 6000DI pro
Rangar
Tesoro Cortes
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Upvote 0

AT PRO user

Mar 16, 2014
I keep one with me when I dry sand hunt. I see a lot of you saying useless but I believe any tool to speed up recovery time is useful. I don't use it a lot but have used it enough to not call it useless. Doesn't weigh enough to complain about the weight And it comes with a holster that easily clips on your finds pouch belt. I've tried the method mentioned above where you shake over your coil and listen for something falling thru the scoop which works but I have still had to scoop smaller heavy items back up and try again. I haven't tried adding any additional hardware wire to bottom of my scoop due to only having one scoop for dry and wet and believe if I make the holes smaller it will slow the wet sand hunting way down. Again any tool that speeds up recovery time is a useful tool.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nope absolutely useless. i have tiny holes in the back and bottom of my scoop. i can get bbs and split shots. even if i didnt still useless as tits on a boar.
I understand most of you don't hunt a beach for 300 year old things often...but if you do...a shovel comes in handy for one method...
.....You guys must have some powder fine sand where you're at or something I would never be able to get wet sand to run through my scoop with that much covered with tiny holes.
Lots of coarse shelly stuff is my natural material.. (Where the old stuff is) on top of a layer with a clay content. I'd windup digging through a bunch of stuff inside the scoop to find the target.. Or dumping it out to look through.
Now..dry is one thing... even the replenishment crap sticks together like a mud pie.

Last edited:

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I assume it would depend on your machine. My cz21 in autotune acts a pintpointer, so a pinpointer would be a waste. And it has a pinpointer setting. If you didnt have that, it probably would be.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That doesn't help inside a hole..filling in with shifting sand and water sometimes.

AT PRO user

Mar 16, 2014
I assume it would depend on your machine. My cz21 in autotune acts a pintpointer, so a pinpointer would be a waste. And it has a pinpointer setting. If you didnt have that, it probably would be.

The AT Pro has a pin point mod and it helps but still not as precise as a garrett pro pointer

snooksion

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Rule #1 on beach hunting. Never bend down!!! unless a $100 bill floats by. This is why a pinpointer is useless. I tried field hunting once after 750 squats I couldn't walk the n ext day.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's different types of beach hunting and different types of people obviously... also different types of targets that require different types of hunting.
I'd be more inclined to let the 100 dollar bill float by and do if 1000 squats to wind up with 1 of these.
I'm not saying I use one very often but I definitely have run into situations where it would have helped.
I really couldn't care less about finding someones jewelry they lost the day before... A pin pointer would probably be useless for that and that type of passive beach hunting

OneR.jpeg

Last edited:

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
There it is. The elusive reale. One day,one day. Gonna get a pin pointer. Modern jewelry can pay for a trip or two. But finding the old stuff is a thrill in itself.

sponge using smoke signals.

dirtfisherman

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
Blue excal, etrac, DFX, garret pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before I got a scoop it was critical for dry sand hunting and low tide sand hunting but those holes fill up with water too quickly to make mine( Garret pp) effective. Now I use a big scoop and do the scatter the sand with your foot trick. I still carry the pin pointer in dry sand though I rarely use it. Comes in handy for those really small targets that drive you crazy when they slip thru your scoop. I wrap mine in a large zip lock so I have it on me if I'm going in and out of the water.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Hunting older beach's everything looks the same, if not gold. All you have to go by is the shape, most gold is fairly clean when higher K but this came up crusty and I had no clue what it was until I got home. The PP did aid in the locating.....

fsa46

Jan 10, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites DFPI, 2 @ Excalibur II, 2 @ Sovereign GT w/ 10" & 8" Tornado coils, 2@ 10x12 SEF coils all on their own rods, Whites MXT Pro , 2@ Garrett Pro Pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I won't leave home without it. Silver can be tough to see when coming out of saltwater, everything looks black when hunting in mud and gravel.

snorks

Apr 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realise this is an old thread but does no body hunt on beaches with rocks and crevices that trap goodies then fill up with sand? I live near these and a pinpointer is invaluble!!!

bklein

Feb 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit an area like that last week. Needed a screwdriver but didn't have one with me. I suspect for every beach there is one or two guys hunting this way. Like getting nuggets out of bedrock. How many stories do you hear of gals dropping their ring while on the rocks for wedding photos...

KirkS

Jan 10, 2017
St Pete FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro Sand Shark, White's TreasurePro, Tesoro Compadre, Fisher F2 + TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a pinpointer on almost every dig at the beach. Two reasons; 1) I hunt at night (got home at 4:30am last night), and it's two dark to see anything, even with my headlamp 2) My eyes no longer let me see anything with detail closer then 2 feet, and it would take me an hour to find anything.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sifter or small holed scoop in the water. wet and dry sand....... i just dump and kick, then PP with the machine. I guess i have good eyes ...... ive never needed one.... but then im not looking for tiny pieces of wire and such all day with a PI.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread