excalibur connector idea? good or bad idea?

snokid

Feb 2, 2013
Troy, MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Garrett GTA350, minelab e-trac, minelab Excalibur II, minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ok sometimes I'm cheap. 70.00??? for a connector to put a WOT coil on one of my machines... I was going to hard wire it to the machine but the more I think about it I think I might put a plug on it. So I was looking for a cheap plug and found Unified Marine Trailer End Light Connector Kit: Automotive : Walmart.com What do you guy's think? I hunt salt water only a couple times a year other wise I'm a fresh water hunter.
thanks
Bob

Upvote 0
OP
OP
snokid

snokid

Feb 2, 2013
Troy, MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Garrett GTA350, minelab e-trac, minelab Excalibur II, minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
oh thank you glad I asked. That's the ticket!!!
Won't have it in time for my next salt water hunt but will have it in time for fresh water season!!!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Bob, I would go with what Ruxpin posted, and then wrap it with rescue tape. You just never know...

OP
OP
snokid

snokid

Feb 2, 2013
Troy, MI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well just a report on the plugs that ruxpin suggested.
They work!!!
The plugs are very small, I have that 70.00 connector also, but these are about half that size, which I think is a good thing.
They seem like they are going to be waterproof, we'll see....
Only problem I had was the coiltek cord is a larger diameter than the minelab cord. The minelab cord fit these no problems, but the coiltek was just a little big so I had to drill out the connector just a little.
I got mine for 7.50 per pair shipped, I bought 3 pair.
Next I think I'm going to try the bulkhead connector and make the headphones replaceable....

lawsonland

Oct 1, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Currently use CTX, Excalibur
Have used V3I, DFX, BHID, ATX, Etrac, TDI, Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couldn't these be used for the headphones too?

lawsonland

Oct 1, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Currently use CTX, Excalibur
Have used V3I, DFX, BHID, ATX, Etrac, TDI, Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also how many pins are needed for the coil and how many for the head phones if it can be used.
Thanks

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
4 wires for the coil and 2 for the headphones.

The thing is they may work in fresh water / drysand but saltwater will be the real test. I have used several over the years and none worked in saltwater until I went to the sournia bulkhead which I am testing now. It takes several months on something like this to get a idea of issues that may come in time and what is needed to keep them 100 percent.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
And yes they will work with the headphones, I have been using the bulgins mini's on my headphones for years. The headphone connection on all machines I have tested will work fine in saltwater. Even if they leak .. totally different type of signal then the coil... now the connectors also work on the remote PP handle so you can swap out handles if needed. Only the coil connection is the one that is putting out a signal that can be disrupted by saltwater. The others are fine.
OBN0228.jpg

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If I was going with a connector I'd definitely get them from OBN as he has a great knowledge on these machines and is a wiz with making things work, and not only for the present time but for the long haul.
I don't think it's worth it to gamble with a money saving technique and risk having to spend money for a new machine.
OBN has the knowledge of do' s and don'ts and knows how to avoid the uh ohs!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread