394.4 grams in first 4 months detecting

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Excal II, Fisher 1280X, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started detecting mid-November last year and had been fairly successful with my CTX (thank you Minelab and Bart). Running total to date is 394.4 grams of gold, silver, and platinum. Roughly 75 grams gold, 40 grams plat and the rest silver. Also found a handful of silver coins and lots of wheaties. I detect 95% on the beach and once in a great while hit a ball field. The beach is where its at though. I'm fortunate to live on a tourist beach and got to go 1-2 times per week, sometimes more, sometimes less. Tonight I went through and took photos of all finds to date in my DIY lightbox and wanted to share my results.

Disclaimer: Before you go spend $2000 on a flight here, its hunted out, there is no more...stay away...danger!

Anyway, here is a photo:
2014-03-18 23.15.47.jpg

Upvote 0

southern maine diver

Feb 24, 2007
South Berwick, Maine
Hey Bejamble... I just saw this thread. You really nailed it. I had a question for you. Have you done any scuba diving with you 3030? I am looking in to getting a detector for underwater and some limited land use. I am thinking either an Excaliber or the 3030. Any thoughts?:icon_scratch:

jbc465

Sep 7, 2013
Wow that is a nice haul. I too have a CTX and have taken to the beach a few times. What are the setting used for hunting in the water vs. the dry sand. Thanks John

lost items recovery

Bronze Member
Nov 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Bejamble... I just saw this thread. You really nailed it. I had a question for you. Have you done any scuba diving with you 3030? I am looking in to getting a detector for underwater and some limited land use. I am thinking either an Excaliber or the 3030. Any thoughts?:icon_scratch:
Not 100 percent sure but I thought I heard the ctx 30/30 is only rated for a 10 ft depth rating so I'd do some research before taking that under for diving. If I'm not mistaken the excal is rated for like 200 ft. and that would most likely be a safer bet.

OP
OP
Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Excal II, Fisher 1280X, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is a nice haul. I too have a CTX and have taken to the beach a few times. What are the setting used for hunting in the water vs. the dry sand. Thanks John

I normally am set in a modified gone hunting setting. Auto sensitivity +3, recovery deep, saltwater, ferrous coin, ground balancing off, no disc (depending on the amount of pull tabs), 50 tone, pinpointing on sizing. If its just flooded with I will disc out 12.10-12.20. Flooded as in 3-4 pull tab hits per swing. Dig everything, I mean everything. Keep you swing speed at 3-4 seconds per swing. Hope this help.

http://www.diglogs.com/forumBanner....jJehEHd8012nHyeHsajeyHDesuhfnsegfh2w73889243f

Last edited:

Rookie_Detector

Tenderfoot
Aug 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to the metal detecting world. I had a cheepo VLF that I got as a Christmas present a few years back but decided to go all out and join the fun. I'll be heading to Guam next month on a six month "vacation" and would love some pointers to help make my spare time worthwhile.

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm retired military and have friends in Guam. They'll be right over !!!! LOL
Nice haul. You're in a great spot. Good luck in the future.

Rockyredbaron
HH to all

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't even think about the CTX 3030 for diving!
It was not designed for that purpose and has a depth limitation of 10 feet at best.
And that is under best conditions, Calm water/ protected lagoons.
It is a superb machine for discrimination and sensitivity, under the right conditions.
But only under the right conditions: You cannot read the VDI display wearing polaroids, the display is difficult to read in direct sunlight (have to shade it). If you are like me, you will have to wear prescription sunglasses to protect your eyes which automatically to light conditions at the beach.

What you want for diving is Fisher CZ21 - pressure tested to 250 feet or an Excalibur - pressure tested to 200 feet.
Both are multi freq VLF detectors (good discrimination) which work well diving, shallow water hunting, wet sand hunting, dry sand.
They also work well on land, but do not have VDI capability.

Unmodified, the CZ21 would be a better choice for detecting in parks or on lawns as pinpointing is more accurate with the concentric coil (cone shaped pattern) which it comes with verses the the DD coil (Wide blade pattern) that the Excalibur comes with.

It is really a matter of which of the above detectors works best with your style of detecting and the type or interface you prefer.
You want a detector that you are comfortable with, have confidance in, and is reliable.

Last edited:

southern maine diver

Feb 24, 2007
South Berwick, Maine
Sir Gala Clad...

Thanks for your input on a machine. I'm leaning towards a CZ-21, but I haven't made a purchase yet. Have had a terrible year with some injuries, surgery and recovery. Finally getting back on my feet so to speak, so I hope to be doing some diving soon, than knee replacement in November!!! Anyway, thanks again for the info. I look forward to the Treasure-net Forum every day.
Wayne:hello:

BOXING63

Jan 7, 2007
PIRATE ,CT
Detector(s) used
Excalibur ll, Sovereign GT / New England Detectors USA
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Terrific Find's . And to much Humidity for me. Also too many Snakes. I was almost AWOL from my Navy Ship on my Last trip in 1969 headed back to Long Beach,California, they were pulling up the gangway.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you refering to those venomous brown snakes, which I have heard killed almost all the birds on Guam.
These same snakes drive Hawaii officials nuts when they occasionally fall out to the sky from arriving planes when the the landing gear is lowered. Fortunately, all found to date have been dead!

You usually don't have to worry about the sharks and snakes you see, it's the ones
that you don't see who will get you.

I bet you didn't see many squatters on the beach, like Hawaii has (lol)?

I have been there and done that at Uncle Sam's expense. If price is no object...it is very HOT, HUMID and HORRIBLE. And if the temps don't get to you, try the boonie peppers. Then love the snakes that slither up the power poles to get even warmer and in doing so drop all the power on the island while they fry. Almost forgot the sharks I saw while diving. Yep, if there is one place on this earth I have been to Guam is one that I would not go back to. I did enjoy the nine months there, but I would stop in Hawaii and not make the long trip again. Same goes for most of the atols in the area. My opinion and I'm sticking to it and leaving all the goodies to Bejamble he deserves it for just living there. As for being hunted out...I don't think so, but keep it a secret. I always wanted to detect at the bottom of Lover's Leap. Maybe Bejamble will get there one day and show us some really nice finds.

Last edited:

hammer0419

Aug 20, 2014
OC NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow what a haul!!! Congrats. I am not a fan of sunning on a beach but sure love detecting when I am near one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions