Not what i was hoping to find this morning

AT PRO user

Mar 16, 2014
The story:

Went to newport beach getting a late start. On the beach at 6am. There some other detectorist working the shoreline towards the pier. So me and rmorenousa where working the towel line. I start to search around life guard tower 24. I Get a low solid tone. I start digging and about 7" down find a circular object with foil covering it. I thought it was a hostess dingdong by the size. I dig more and realize it was bigger. The object starts to move and I pull out a mason jar completely wrapped in foil. At that point wasn't sure what I had found. Before uncovering I called rmorenousa over to take a look. I start to unwrap the foil off and inside was a red viscous liquid. As I spun the jar around you could see a mass inside. Me and rmorenousa where both like what the hell. We talked about what to do for awhile. I decided to bury it again and stay in the area till a life guard or someone I can report it to shows up. About half hour to an hour goes by and a police officer is driving down the shoreline. I flag him down and notify him of the find. I unbury it and show it to him and he says that's interesting. He called it in and crime scene investigator shows up and also the deputy chief. The conclusion is that it's a heart, about human in size but no full conclusion until tests where run.

The photos: caution may disturb some (tried to be discreet but still get the story)

Attachments

• image-2726954531.jpg
    image-2726954531.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 175
  • image-2035925929.jpg
    image-2035925929.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 177
  • image-4117616085.jpg
    image-4117616085.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 165
  • image-2547949710.jpg
    image-2547949710.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 192
  • image-2540956662.jpg
    image-2540956662.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 223
  • image-374447681.jpg
    image-374447681.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 209
Upvote 0

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Oh! That was some find, AT :skullflag:

Interesting morning you had; if/when you find out the final ID of the mysterious item , please be sure to post.

Good luck on your next hunt.

Lorraine
Lorraine

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oz-omg1.gif LIONS AND TIGERS AND HEARTS ..OH MY

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
What a way to screw up the day. I wouldnt have the heart to continue. My heart would just not be into detecting for the rest of the day. If I traveled very far I would have been heartbroken not to be able to detect.

Hopefully its someone failed attempt at a humorous gag. Could be a pickled pigs heart meant for consumption? I just googled it and its fairly common.

OP
OP
AT PRO user

AT PRO user

Mar 16, 2014
What a way to screw up the day. I wouldnt have the heart to continue. My heart would just not be into detecting for the rest of the day. If I traveled very far I would have been heartbroken not to be able to detect.

Hopefully its someone failed attempt at a humorous gag. Could be a pickled pigs heart meant for consumption? I just googled it and its fairly common.

I believe it was a pig heart and after looking it up they are similar in size. I heard the police talking and they said they have found sacrifice or religious stuff before but in those cases it was just on top of the ground not buried and wrapped in that fashion

Maybe I ruined someone's science fair project :)

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will you get the jar back? Interesting find for sure.

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Wow Jersey beaches you can find the kitchen sink. Never heard of anyone finding animal parts.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like some oh that Haitian voodoo hoodoo stuff...too bad you had to be the one that dug it up, you've probably have a curse on you now...it could have been worse, it could of been a pull tab.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe strange at Newport Beach in Orange County, but not at the beaches where I detect.
Sacrifice? Religious ritual? Only if one is Lo Lo (crazy)!

In the Islands, Hunters and fishermen often cook their catch at the beach as it is usually a weekend affair.
Here, they dig a pit in hard clay soil to prepare an emu (acts like an ancient pressure cooker)
and cook the entire pig. Cooked that way it is called Kalua pig.

Or they cut the pig in strips and smoke the strips - simply called meat.
Meat is great to grind on, had some this morning for breakfast with rice cooked in co co nut water for
sweetness and eggs - delicious, especially with papaya, that I picked in the yard. (hm hm good)!

While Kalua pig is best with cabbage for larger gatherings.

I believe it was a pig heart and after looking it up they are similar in size. I heard the police talking and they said they have found sacrifice or religious stuff before but in those cases it was just on top of the ground not buried and wrapped in that fashion

Maybe I ruined someone's science fair project :)

Last edited:

wvplug

Mar 2, 2014
Randolph County, WV
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite a day to say the least. I hope they get back to you. It has been my experience that most of the time no one ever calls or lets you know anything. But then I never found anything like the either.

fredinbelize

May 22, 2007
Huntington Beach,CA
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Whites Surf PI Pro
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
That's another one off your bucket list.
I think I was the other TH'er working the shoreline!
:occasion14:

RMorenoUSA

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 305
Coil's:
9inCon7.5kHz,
5x10DD18.75kHz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll have to keep checking the local papers to see if any info pops up. Good work on the puns fellas :)

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's just freaky! Really put a crimp in your detecting day!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread