What do you use?

Hookka

Apr 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett AT GOLD, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Sandshark, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I've been using the AT Pro for a couple months now and am hugely unsatisfied with it. I'm looking to sell it and buy a PI detector and use my ace250 for dry sand and get something more suited for wet sand and in the water. Anyone have any recommendations and why? I have almost no knowledge and no experience with PI machines and want to step my game up seeing as we have weekly clean sweeps on the beaches where I live.

Upvote 0

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an AT pro too. Use it for dry sand it is does well. Just bought and Excal and love it. It was a toss up between the sand shark or Excal...choose the Excal based upon the feedback for those on this forum. Either would be great machines. I have nothing but good things to say about the Excal. Good luck.

OP
OP
Hookka

Hookka

Apr 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett AT GOLD, Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Sandshark, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should have worded it better, I'm unimpressed with its water capabilities but that was my fault buying it I was hoping it would be better in the water. In the dry sand its great and its great for relics. I want to get something that is stable in the wet sand though.

gold fever pete

Jun 1, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you trying to use it in salt water? I currently have 2 PIs. A Sand Shark and a Dual Field. After hunting with my buddy at 2 different beaches and seeing his results versus mine. I am thinking of getting a CTX3030. On three different occasions he came home with 2 gold rings and on the 4th trip he came home with a gold and a platinum. My finds were one gold one silver, one cobalt, one silver, one gold, and no precious metals with both of my PIs over the same 4 days.
A PI is good if you don't mind digging every signal. However with the CTX you have readings that can help you decide if you want to dig. Less time spent digging the trash and more time finding the good stuff. Hope this helps.. HH GFP

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the Tesoro Sand Shark with the 8" coil. VERY easy to lean and use, impressive depth, stability, with all controls on the faceplate outside the box (unlike the Whites Dual Field). My machine has paid for itself MANY times over. Low cost, best warranty in the business, American made in Prescott, Arizona. - Good Luck!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Excalibur II is my favorite detector for shallow water and the beach! But I have a new Whites Surf PI DF that I haven't used yet so we'll see if that changes.
With the Excalibur you will need to upgrade to a straight shaft for incredible balance! Unless of course you're just diving.
Best of Luck!

River Hound

Dec 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
haven't heard any body mention the atx yet. latest greatest ? do your research

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread