Myrtle Beach in June what am I getting in to ? Usually stay at less crowded beaches

martinguitar

Feb 28, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Planning a trip to Myrtle Beach in June , staying near 19th Ave. South .
I detected Emerald Isle last year and had a ball . Found 2 gold rings , 1 silver and one S.S ring . Would have liked to have went back to Emerald but it looks like its Myrtle.
I am going to plan what week I am going with whatever works out best with low tide .
Myrtle is going to be a completely different animal than what I'm used to (crowds).

When do the crowds thin out so it's not to bad to detect in the evenings ? I don't particularly like having to dodge large crowds .
Is it fairly safe to be detecting late at night or do I need to put a new sharp "edge " on my sand scoop ? Any suggestions / hints are appreciated .
I ordered the book Gold Beneath the Waves and am anxious to read it .

Thanks

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good-Luck.gif

snokid

Feb 2, 2013
Troy, MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Garrett GTA350, minelab e-trac, minelab Excalibur II, minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went last july near that area. I don't think I would feel safe out at midnight.
but crowds weren't really a problem either.
I stay in the water though

barrywk

May 2, 2013
lancaster sc
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 505...At Pro...T2...F5.....F70.....xterra 705...AT Gold......Pro pointer....Pro find 25......XP Deus...gti 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At mrytle beach best time is at sun up..from there u got about 2 to 4 hours before the beaches r heavy.....Then about 5 pm the crowds start breaking up.

barrywk

May 2, 2013
lancaster sc
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 505...At Pro...T2...F5.....F70.....xterra 705...AT Gold......Pro pointer....Pro find 25......XP Deus...gti 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the best time to detect mrytle beach

IMAG0511[1].jpg .......The best time is after dark......I did this last year and it worked better than i expected...1 buck each for those flashlights with batteries and 2.50 each for the flashlite holders...I also wore another flashlite on a lanyard to look at vdi and in hole to find item

OP
OP
M

martinguitar

Feb 28, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you have any trouble with anyone while you were out at night ? My son will want to go with me , just trying to get a feeling how it is after dark . Drunks , homeless etc ? The beaches I have been to in the past were pretty safe to be out with your kids late at night .

barrywk

May 2, 2013
lancaster sc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
martin ive been goin to myrtle beach for fifty years an have never had any issues...never had any issues with my kids being on the beach after dark.Myrtle beach during the season is so populated that there is quite a few vacationers on the beach well into the nite. I have fished on beach all nite before an people walkin on beach all nite.

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
Please tell me where you found the Flashlight holders. Are they Microphone holders.. Do you have a Name and Model Number..Thanks-goldnugget-Charlotte.N.C.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck...

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

barrywk

May 2, 2013
lancaster sc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and one more thing goldnugget...they are listed under bike accessories

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've hunted Myrtle for last 8 years or so on vacation there 1 to 2 weeks a year. I go out at each low tide. If its in the daytime prime beach hours 9-5 I stay out in the surf in a spot without so many people. I also hunt the late night/ early morning low tides. I will admit, the last couple of years I have felt less "safe" out at 3 am there than I used too. A little rougher crowd out than there used to be BUT there usually is enough other folks out so its not a problem. Now if I'm going down the beach at the wee hours of the morning and I see a group of 3-7+ teen-20 something boys I will turn around and go the other way. Am I "scared"? Not really but I don't want any "trouble" and I am toting around $1000 or more of machine and "potential" valuables. I would hate to have to defend myself and have all that legal trouble that would come with it. I have a carry permit now and SC is a reciprocating state to my permit so I will have a little more "security" with me for those wee hours hunts. Hate that its come to that but people are much more likely to just try to take your stuff and your life is no barrier to most of them. I still will turn around as I don't want the trouble that comes with defending myself but I will do it if necessary, expect the snide remarks and things that come Crome the punks out late at night, but I ignore that and go on my way. Good luck to you and as I say, you should be ok but just be aware of your surroundings and don't let yourself get isolated with a group like that.

snokid

Feb 2, 2013
Troy, MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Garrett GTA350, minelab e-trac, minelab Excalibur II, minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Down by the skywheel I saw a sign that said no firearms on the beach.
might want to check if your going to carry on the beach....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread