old gold and I dont know what.

ctbob

Mar 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
old gold and I don't know what.

Yesterday I decided to explore a new area of a beach I rarely hunt to see if I could find a hot spot. I spent most of my time on mud flats with only a few targets here and there. In some spots, I would sink down a couple of inches and I think that was fresh sand from the wicked north wind the day before. After about a half hour of roaming, I got lucky and found a 10K class ring from the madison school, class of 1930. P1000886.JPG I stayed in the general area, but didn't find much, but most of my finds were heavies, and not real deep, so I plan on going back soon. I only hunted for about an hour and a half, because hay fever was making me miserable. I didn't realize it started this early until I remembered the weather man mentioning high pollen counts for a few days.
I also found a huge piece of lead that I could use some help identifying. It almost looks like a small frame, or old hand line holder. P1000881.JPG anyone have any ideas? Also a baking soda paste wouldn't remove some black around the front face of the ring. I was thinking of hitting it with some very fine steel wool. Any suggestions? Thanks and H.H. bob

Upvote 0

BOXING63

Jan 7, 2007
PIRATE ,CT
Detector(s) used
Excalibur ll, Sovereign GT / New England Detectors USA
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
:icon_thumleft:WTG CTBOB Congratulations:icon_thumright: :hello2:on that great hunt very nice ring...I went out to a beach yesterday but no luck for me but I got to talk to my friend Lorrain she's the best...

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
:wav:Hey, Bob....nice goin' on that class ring find!

Nice talkin' with you the other day; maybe see you again soon.

I was out yesterday, found only clads and sinkers, but I got to talk with my friend, Boxing 63 ..he's cool; haven't seen Charlie around yet, but maybe this weekend if the rain stops, I 'll run into him somewhere out there.

Lorraine

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty ring...beautiful ornate design...congrats.

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
The ring should clean up easily with a soak in white vinegar and a tooth brush. If that doesn't do it, try adding salt to the vinegar and that will make the acid a little stronger. I cleaned a ring with deep carving that had black deposits that way. Nice find by the way. HH, Beach Papa

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

relish

Mar 28, 2013
Staten Island NY
Detector(s) used
ATPRO......Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try Renaissance metal de-corroder.....non-toxic and it won't damage the base metal....it's used by museums to clean artifacts and it works by separating hard to remove sediment,gunk,etc from the base metal.....after soaking , the sediment detaches from the base metal and a quick rinse in cold water stops the process......you can find it at amazon.com.

OP
OP
C

ctbob

Mar 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for the kind words, cleaning help, and I.D. I would never have guessed a duck decoy anchor, but with shotgun shell casings in area, it makes perfect sense. Will try the vinegar first, then some salt, and if that doesn't work, the metal decorroder.

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
if all else fails, electrolysis will clean the ring. You Tube has several videos on "How To". I use it first then touch up with Never Dull polishing wad. I have had one gold ring that even two different jewelers could not clean. Final thought was it was "stained" with mercury.

Nice finds, I have never seen a decoy weight until today!

Thanks for showing and asking, we all learn that way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread