Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I posted this in the metal detecting forum and only got one response, hopefully more of the braintrust will help me here. I hunt strictly on the beach, and strictly dry sand. I would rather find an old Spanish ships spike than a diamond necklace (i.e. I'm all about history, not money). I have been using an old (1973) Bounty Hunter I. Yes, I dig everything. In the opinion of the braintrust, would upgrading to a Fisher F2 or Garrett Ace 250 be worth the investment? I cannot afford a dedicated beach machine like the Tesoro Sand Shark.

Upvote 0

matrix master DBA

Jan 29, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Mxt Pro + Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other advantage of upgrading would be the option of getting a bigger coil which would equal greater depth.

matrix master DBA

Jan 29, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great choice I have been using the sand shark for 7 years never had any problems. I have used it in fresh and salt water. Good luck with the SS.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
Boatlode

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
So how do you like it. Happy that you upgraded?

I just put it together and tested it here at home. Seems like a well built detector. I'll take it to the beach for the first time Monday.

OP
OP
Boatlode

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ok, I'm impressed. The Sand Shark is far more powerful than my old Bounty Hunter I. Took it to the beach today for several hours. Didn't find anything of value, but among the junk I found was a tiny fishhook, #7 or #8, that was 5" deep. And it was a good strong signal - no way the old BH would have done that.

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
It is amazing how good a fishhook can sound. You'll eventually get an idea of what it is you're about to dig.

AT PRO user

Mar 16, 2014
Congrats on the upgrade I hope it leads to many more treasures

It is amazing how good a fishhook can sound. You'll eventually get an idea of what it is you're about to dig.

Does the sand shark have different tones? I've Never used a pi and I've just assumed pi's don't have much tone differences between targets. Would love to get something I can get into the water with here in ca, my AT goes crazy once I get to the water line. I figured I'd go with ctx to get some target id separation. Would love to see some posts on pi target id separation.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the upgrade I hope it leads to many more treasures Does the sand shark have different tones? I've Never used a pi and I've just assumed pi's don't have much tone differences between targets. Would love to get something I can get into the water with here in ca, my AT goes crazy once I get to the water line. I figured I'd go with ctx to get some target id separation. Would love to see some posts on pi target id separation.
SS only has single tone. Some say you get a double blip on bobby pins, but for the most part you "dig till your arm falls off". They have their place out in the surf, where there's less trash, but for wet sand my personal choice is the sovereign or Excal. With larger coils you can achieve PI depths and not dig junk.

Last edited:

matrix master DBA

Jan 29, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When im on the beach I like to dig all targets. Sometimes trash signals are covering up the good stuff.. I've found a few nice rings mixed in with some trashy signals..

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When im on the beach I like to dig all targets. Sometimes trash signals are covering up the good stuff.. I've found a few nice rings mixed in with some trashy signals..
To each his own I guess. I dig iron and trash too when there's a goody mixed in.

Last edited:

AT PRO user

Mar 16, 2014

I've heard that with the ctx it will give you targets in layers and that when field testing the machine they glued nail to coins/targets and the machine will show you if there is a a treasure below the trash. Do any ctx users have experience with this or is a sales pitch?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard that with the ctx it will give you targets in layers and that when field testing the machine they glued nail to coins/targets and the machine will show you if there is a a treasure below the trash. Do any ctx users have experience with this or is a sales pitch?
Yes the CTX will show a 2D response of both targets under the coil but it's not like a fish finder where it shows depth, just a red dot where their FE-CO numbers fall. The Sovereign and Excal will accomplish almost the same thing with an audio tone instead of a screen.

Last edited:

AT PRO user

Mar 16, 2014
Yes the CTX will show a 2D response of both targets under the coil but it's not like a fish finder where it shows depth, just a red dot where their FE-CO numbers fall. The Sovereign and Excal will accomplish almost the same thing with an audio tone instead of a screen.

I do like the idea of the durability of the excal, little worried after hearing some of the issues with battery and USB waterproofing seals on the ctx. But I am kind of a techie and think I can put the gps features to use on the ctx. Also like the ctx do to being able to manipulate the machine with one hand seems you need a free hands to tune the excal as conditions change. Also seems the excal is a beach machine where as the ctx is an everything machine

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do like the idea of the durability of the excal, little worried after hearing some of the issues with battery and USB waterproofing seals on the ctx. But I am kind of a techie and think I can put the gps features to use on the ctx. Also like the ctx do to being able to manipulate the machine with one hand seems you need a free hands to tune the excal as conditions change. Also seems the excal is a beach machine where as the ctx is an everything machine

Actually you never really touch the Excal once you start hunting unless you use reverse discrimination where you hunt in all metal mode then check target in disc. That's why the pp mod that OBN does is so great for this type hunting.

AT PRO user

Mar 16, 2014
Actually you never really touch the Excal once you start hunting unless you use reverse discrimination where you hunt in all metal mode then check target in disc. That's why the pp mod that OBN does is so great for this type hunting.

Lost me on pp mod that OBN does? Defiantly sounds like I need to do more research to justify the difference in cost between the excal and the ctx

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lost me on pp mod that OBN does? Defiantly sounds like I need to do more research to justify the difference in cost between the excal and the ctx
There is a kit that a member sells that can be installed yourself if you can solder and follow his videos (his charge to install is very minimal). I also opted for better headphones than stock yellow ones since they both are wired into same endcap. It allows you to switch from pinpoint/all metal to discriminate with a toggle switch that's located in handle on straight shaft. This gives you more depth and sensitivity in all metal then flip the toggle and check to see if target is worth digging. Here's a video of the olde pirate himself!

Attachments

• image-3918367778.jpg
    image-3918367778.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 70

AT PRO user

Mar 16, 2014
There is a kit that a member sells that can be installed yourself if you can solder and follow his videos (his charge to install is very minimal). I also opted for better headphones than stock yellow ones since they both are wired into same endcap. It allows you to switch from pinpoint/all metal to discriminate with a toggle switch that's located in handle on straight shaft. This gives you more depth and sensitivity in all metal then flip the toggle and check to see if target is worth digging. Here's a video of the olde pirate himself! Video Link: http://youtu.be/NilyKi-nsww

Thanks fletch, the info is much appreciated. Hopefully in the next couple months I'll post a new toy. Thanks again and HH

donkarlos

Sep 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
Congrats on the upgrade I hope it leads to many more treasures

Does the sand shark have different tones? I've Never used a pi and I've just assumed pi's don't have much tone differences between targets. Would love to get something I can get into the water with here in ca, my AT goes crazy once I get to the water line. I figured I'd go with ctx to get some target id separation. Would love to see some posts on pi target id separation.

It's one tone, or note or noise - whatever you want to call it but different stuff sounds different, like between a wire and a coin. But, like fletch88 said, you pretty much dig and dig. And dig. With my SS I can have a whole bag of junk in a couple of hours whereas with my sovereign gt I only have a pocket full.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread