Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I went out to a local beach for the 1st time with my new Excal yesterday (friday). I was super windy, wavy and cold but I have a pair of neoprene waders and gloves so I was nice and toasty. With the wind and waves (yes lake Michigan has waves lol) I knew as soon as I seen the water that the sand was in and it was thick. I still wanted to get some time on the new machine so I set out at about waist deep water and crept along. I wasn't getting very many targets but I did dig everything I came across, even a few ghost targets. about 3 hours into my hunt I looked up and seen 3 squad cars and 2 cops standing on the edge of the parking lot waiving me to come over to talk.

I walked something like 200' over to them and asked whats going on. They said they got a call from someone in one of the high rises that a guy was in the water so out they came. We chatted for maybe 15min and they seen I was wearing neoprene and was nice and warm and not in distress. They thought someone was in trouble in the super cold water, they said its not illegal to be in the water and I could go back out after a good laugh.

Well for 5hrs I dug 47 target:
6 beer cans
4 hunks of rust
3 small aluminum pieces
15 beer caps
13 pull tabs (new and old beaver tail kind)
1 tooth crown (silver looking)
1 nickle
4 pennies (1 was a 1940 wheatie)

I seen the crown in my floating sifter (home made) but when I tried to grab it it fell thru the mesh, I need to add another layer of mesh. I let the crown go because I seen it wasn't yellow (gold) and even if I got it again the holes in my scoop would let it fall thru also.

So not a very event full hunt but it was fun getting out and putting some swing time in and trying to learn what the machine is telling me. Thanks for looking and happy hunting everybody.:skullflag: :skullflag::skullflag:

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
You did good for the first hunt with the excal, takes a few trips to get in the groove, the 40 wheaty is a good sign there is older to be found. Sweet home Chicago, daughter lives there chestnut and something, hope to get out and visit this spring...may see you..

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Lucky they didnt shoot you first and then say you charged at them with your scoop when they tried to wave you to come over.

mnruxpin

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
the crown thing is touchy, ive found cremation tags too, leave that stuff where it lays, im not superstitious or anything but dont need no bad karma

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like your Excal is finding the right stuff!
Now you'll just have to swing over the gold!
Funny story about the cops...
Best of Luck!

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some guy was staring at a good looking girl
and his wife let him have it....

liftloop

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now you know there's "Eye's out there watching you". Nice results for first time swinging! :occasion14:

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Cool tale. Someday ill get an Excalibur. Its gotta be cool being able to discriminate targets. Especially those party on dude areas. And yea I have seen people catching waves on the lakes. The waves were actually nice.

OP
OP
treasurefiend

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my girlfriend tries to correct me on that but I ignore her lol

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Hey treasure fiend,
This is my first season ever metal detecting also with the Excalibur and also mostly on Lake Michigan. I started in late May and have found aprox $20.00 in clad no silver, a pewter religious medallion, stainless steel chain and cross, 3 costume ear rings, one costume toe ring, a belly button ring, and my first be it small 14k ring. To get to this point I had to dig a ton of pull tabs, weird aluminum chunks , and iron mesh. I spoke with a fellow detectorist that turned me on to OBN, Casper, and Clive James Clynick. They are all great resources for this hobby of ours. I watched a ton of videos, and read most of what Casper posted on the net, and purchased 2 books by Clive (highly recommended) and I will say it was after studying and putting into practice what I learned that I began digging a lot less aluminum and iron and and finding better targets. Have I arrived? NO absolutely not I'm still growing my way through the Excalibur II learning curve but I am convoked that I purchased the right machine for the job. My Excalibur II is still under warranty so I'm going to wait before I have any modifications done to it. Since I am still learning my Excalibur II the only modification that mentally I think I need are better headphones. Since I'm still learning the 10 inch coil I don't plan to change it until I better understand what it's telling me. I have seen 3 other Excal users that switched out their coils for what looked to be 15 inch coils I guess for greater depth. But as I said I'm not at that level of confidence with the Excal as yet. Perhaps in the future I may interchange my coil but not any time soon. Good luck detecting
surgtech57

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Thazzalottadiggin', Treasurefiend. I wish you many lucrative hunts with your new EXcal:headbang:

Lorraine

wildcarrot

Oct 5, 2013
SoCal
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
old used white's surfmaster PI, Dual Field, DFX, Minelab GM 1000 and Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not Cool... Sad Remark...Liked the original post maybe I'm missing the humor? QUOTE=Red James cash;3938263]Lucky they didnt shoot you first and then say you charged at them with your scoop when they tried to wave you to come over.[/QUOTE]

general

Sep 9, 2004
Parrish fl
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,Tesoro tiger shark, excal 2, CZ21
I got a laugh from your post and I'm glad you took the time to tell the story. Not everyone cares about proper English Small.

general

Sep 9, 2004
Parrish fl
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,Tesoro tiger shark, excal 2, CZ21
Hey treasure fiend,
This is my first season ever metal detecting also with the Excalibur and also mostly on Lake Michigan. I started in late May and have found aprox $20.00 in clad no silver, a pewter religious medallion, stainless steel chain and cross, 3 costume ear rings, one costume toe ring, a belly button ring, and my first be it small 14k ring. To get to this point I had to dig a ton of pull tabs, weird aluminum chunks , and iron mesh. I spoke with a fellow detectorist that turned me on to OBN, Casper, and Clive James Clynick. They are all great resources for this hobby of ours. I watched a ton of videos, and read most of what Casper posted on the net, and purchased 2 books by Clive (highly recommended) and I will say it was after studying and putting into practice what I learned that I began digging a lot less aluminum and iron and and finding better targets. Have I arrived? NO absolutely not I'm still growing my way through the Excalibur II learning curve but I am convoked that I purchased the right machine for the job. My Excalibur II is still under warranty so I'm going to wait before I have any modifications done to it. Since I am still learning my Excalibur II the only modification that mentally I think I need are better headphones. Since I'm still learning the 10 inch coil I don't plan to change it until I better understand what it's telling me. I have seen 3 other Excal users that switched out their coils for what looked to be 15 inch coils I guess for greater depth. But as I said I'm not at that level of confidence with the Excal as yet. Perhaps in the future I may interchange my coil but not any time soon. Good luck detecting
surgtech57
I modified my excal with better and more comfortable headphones and a plugger straight shaft. I also used some locktite epoxy to seal the coil cover to the coil. The only issue I have now is the sounds are way different from the stock yellow phones.

SurgTech57

Mar 15, 2014
South Bend
Detector(s) used
ML Equinox 800, and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Did you do the modification on the headphones yourself of someone else? I ask because I have no electronic assembly or disassembly skill and would be afraid of damaging get my Excalibur II.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread